Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can I put a course on our public lake?

BuBlue

This is my first season with my '08 VTX. We ski every morning on American Lake, which is between Tacoma and Olympia in WA. There is no ski course on the lake, and I want to add one - but I don't know if there are regulations about adding a course to the lake, and I'm not even sure how to find out. Any suggestions - or experience?

The boat is outstanding, by the way. Great ski wakes - 22" off is the worst length for the boat, but everything else (up to 38" off is a dream).

Dontknow.gif

I do know that on one of our public lakes we have visited, someone had a slalom course in the back of a cove. They would sink it when not in use....then just float it up.

There are some obvious safety concerns for the oblivious Joe Public and I suppose a fisherman could certainly mess it up as well.

Not sure they will tell you that you CAN'T put one in, but wouldn't expect them to say "OK" either.

It's possible...especially if you or someone else owns property on the lake. Most lake will have some sort of "Lake assoc." or some sort of group that is comprised of people who own property on the lake...talk to them. The best way is to educate people about the course...let them know that if properly used anyone can use it...abuse it and people, the course, and thier boats/motors can get hurt. Good luck!!!

I live on Long Lake outside of Spokane, WA and we've had 2 here ever since I can remember. There is also one out on Liberty Lake. I dont know of any permits needed, etc, but I'm of the "better to ask for forgivness than permission" opinion. I say go for it.

Greetings. I grew up in GH across the Galloping Gerdy. I have no idea about permit requirements on American Lake, but I wish you luck and hope you succeed in your noble endeavor. Just get ready for a PITA in more ways than you can anticipate. The world will turn into two classes of people: (1) you and a couple of buddies; and (2) everyone else on the lake, who are now your sworn enemies. But its worth it if you can pull it off. Cheers.gif

There is a course on the north end of Lake Sammamish "maintained" as best they can with a lake full of Wallys by the Lake Sammamish Waterski Club, I suggest you contact someone there (hint, call Adrenaline Watersports in Bellevue if you don't have much luck from the website) and ask for their opinion, since they are also in W. Wash. on a public lake.

Lake Sam WS Club...

http://lswsc.org/

Yea, the course that is here on Liberty is a sinker. It's been here so many years I think it pre-dates any official approval by any government body or association. As long as the skiers remember to sink it when they are done using it, it seems to stay in good shape. The only thing visible is the buoy where the air line is located & it's a bright white so you can see it pretty easily. The few times I've seen the course, people have managed to hit it & damage it, whether maliciously or by accident.

I'm not sure how many different kinds of courses there are, sinkable, portable, etc. But as long as it's sunk out of everyone's way, I/Os, outboards, foilers, etc. then I can't imagine it would be a big deal. Fishermen tend to like the banks around here, especially right under my boat & dock. Crazy.gif

PS: small world jjackrash, Wollochet Bay is still some awesome skiing now days, as long as you can handle the funny taste.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

We have two courses on a public lake here in MA. It is a state park and at least one of the courses has been there for 35 years anyway. I am not involved in how they get there but I know we had to get the approval of the Department of Conservation and the US Army lab who has a facility near one of them.

I would say you need to gain the approval of the organization that regulates the body of water in question and any abuters near the lake.

Hew Hampshire is next to impossible with permits. I do know of a couple existing courses and thought about getting a portable course a number of years ago. Definitely check with Marine Patrol, Conservation, etc. before you start.

We have two courses on a public lake here in MA. It is a state park and at least one of the courses has been there for 35 years anyway. I am not involved in how they get there but I know we had to get the approval of the Department of Conservation and the US Army lab who has a facility near one of them.

I would say you need to gain the approval of the organization that regulates the body of water in question and any abuters near the lake.

Long Pond???

Long Pond???

Lake Cochituate, south pond near Natick Army Labs.

think tmc member "ROD S" had mentioned a course on American lake in the past but I could be wrong. Pm him for the background. There's a course on lake wa near Boeing, guy runs a ski school of sorts.

We have a course on a public lake in NH. The state issued a permit for it about 20 years ago and we have had no issues renewing it each year. A condition of the permit is that we remove it when it is not in use, pretty impractical. The solution was to put in an AccuSink course and last ear we replaced it with a new one from Wally Skier. It went in pretty easy, and we hope to get another 20 years out of it!

We have a course on a public lake in NH. The state issued a permit for it about 20 years ago and we have had no issues renewing it each year. A condition of the permit is that we remove it when it is not in use, pretty impractical. The solution was to put in an AccuSink course and last ear we replaced it with a new one from Wally Skier. It went in pretty easy, and we hope to get another 20 years out of it!

Logic tells me you're on Lake Sunapee. We're in Center Harbor, unfortunately not full time. You're probably all of 45 minutes west of us. The courses I'm thinking of are Back Bay in Wolfboro, Abenaki Ski Club, and on Little Squam near Walter's Basin. We should plan a get together some time... We'll be on the bike this weekend, taking breaks on the Bu.

--Tory

Logic tells me you're on Lake Sunapee. We're in Center Harbor, unfortunately not full time. You're probably all of 45 minutes west of us. The courses I'm thinking of are Back Bay in Wolfboro, Abenaki Ski Club, and on Little Squam near Walter's Basin. We should plan a get together some time... We'll be on the bike this weekend, taking breaks on the Bu.

--Tory

What gave it away? ;)

We're at the absolute north end of the lake. PM me and we can try to hook up.