Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sacking an 05 VLX

Longjohn

I know this has been discussed and people have posted their secret recipe to get a good surf wake out of an 05 VLX with a wake hull. BUT, I have spent the past 2 hours searching for the discussion with no luck finding it. So, what is your weight set up for surfing a VLX--manual wedge--wake hull.

I have a 750lb sac, intergrated bow sac, and 2 350 sacs.

Thanks for the help.

Okey dokie, here we go:

Front MLS full - 350 lbs

Center MLS full - 500 lbs

Surf side rear MLS full - 200 lbs

Sack on top of rear tank - 500ish lbs

Sack on surf side seat in cabin - 400ish lbs (VAB works too :))

Off side rear MLS empty

Wedge down

Speed 10.2-10.4, depending on conditions

Get everyone on the surf side of the boat, muy importante! The more people that you have the fewer extra sacks that you need, but the one extra that I'd keep regardless would be the one on top of the rear tank in the locker.

That will give you this, add a 250-350 lb bag up in the bow on the surf side & it gets better (longer): Biggrin.gif

med_gallery_1_153_83565.jpg

We just added a 750# fat sac to our 06 VLX. We filled up all of the factory ballast except for the rear opposite the side we were surfing on. We put the 750 in the rear locker on the side we were surfing on and did not deploy the wedge. The wake was incredible for surfing. My daughter prefers the wake without the wedge. I have heard that the surfing wake is much better with either the power wedge or with the floating wedge.

It's good with any of the wedges, & it does make a difference IME but it comes down to where you place your weight & what you like. It's particularly important with the old style wedge on this boat to get some weight up front, it helps lengthen the wake & balance the effect of the wedge. Otherwise with just stock MLS & a sack in the rear locker, you get a really tall wake with a steep face that's easy to fall out of. The weight up front is essential IMO.

It's good with any of the wedges, & it does make a difference IME but it comes down to where you place your weight & what you like. It's particularly important with the old style wedge on this boat to get some weight up front, it helps lengthen the wake & balance the effect of the wedge. Otherwise with just stock MLS & a sack in the rear locker, you get a really tall wake with a steep face that's easy to fall out of. The weight up front is essential IMO.

Ah, that makes sense. We got a 300# fat sac that we can put in the bow in addition to the stock bow ballast. Sara really doesn't need an elongated wake to do her thing, but I sure do. She likes a tall wake that she can climb on the board and spin on.