Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Does anyone know what this is ?

Group Therapy

Your pic's aren't that good, but looks like a keyway to me. Maybe they dropped one when they built the boat???

yes its a keyway would the prop shaft be the only place it could come from?

When you take close up pictures like this put your camera in Macro mode. Usually a symbol of a flower. This will help focus at close distances.

I was gonna say it looks like a box that was delivered by UPS. (I say UPS by judging the damage to the box.)

Then I noticed that blurry gold thing and yes, it looks like a keyway and there's one in the rudder assem. inside the boat. I'd take a real hard look there before I went out again. It looks like the key is partially busted.

Did you purchase the boat used?

It looks like a a key for the prop shaft (as mentioned above), that was removed when a damaged prop was pulled off. You can see the marking on the side of the key that would indicate it was almost sheared off.

I still say it looks like a rudder key, but it's been a LONG while since I've seen mine. Are you the original owner of the boat? Has it ever been back to the dealer for steering issues? Just the same, it could be a prop key that just got dropped/misplaced by a previous owner/mechanic and found its way into the bilge.

It's too long to be the key on the rudder, and there's no way the key can fall out of the propshaft unless it was unbolted from the coupler. Even then, it usually takes two hours to get that key out, so that's not where it came from either.

I'm sticking with a replaced prop key.

I think its the key to the coupler on the other end of the shaft the coupler that bolts to the V drive . it looks like just enough left in the key way to keep the boat moving.

I think its the key to the coupler on the other end of the shaft the coupler that bolts to the V drive . it looks like just enough left in the key way to keep the boat moving.

yes im the orginal owner and the man that did the repair on my boat after the accident said it looks like a rudder key that was dropped (very hard to see when putting in or taking out)everything checks out A O.K. thanks for all the answers!!

It's too long to be the key on the rudder, and there's no way the key can fall out of the propshaft unless it was unbolted from the coupler. Even then, it usually takes two hours to get that key out, so that's not where it came from either.

I'm sticking with a replaced prop key.

The V-drive couplers have that taper at one end of the key so that is going to be my guess. The rudder key is pretty short and not tapered at one end if IIRC