Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rudder Adjustment

Clutch-n-Throttle

Alright 'Bu Crew. I need your help.

I have a 2000 Sunsetter LXi. When the boat tracks straight and true in the water, the steering is angled at the 1030 to 1100 o'clock. Below are the pictures

DSC_0188_0198.jpg

DSC_0187_0197.jpg

How can I adjust the steering wheel/rudder to be at the 12:00 o'clock and have the boat track straight and true. My wife is learning to drive the boat and it throws her off having the steering wheel off to the left. For me its no problem, but the wife needs the extra cue to learn the boat.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Jose

The easiest fix is to remove the allen head screws that attach the steering wheel and move the wheel one hole to the right and then reinstall the allen head fasteners. You can also adjust where the steering cable attaches to the rudder but it is much more difficult.

Hey looks like if you were to remove the six hex key bolts on the outside of the wheel hub there and move it to the right one hole it would line up just about prefect.

Hey looks like if you were to remove the six hex key bolts on the outside of the wheel hub there and move it to the right one hole it would line up just about prefect.

If there is a long black box, about 1.5" deep by 16" long attached under the dash to the steering shaft, you have rack and pinion steering. Pretty sure you do.

If so, set the rudder straight, unbolt the 4 bolts that attach the steering rack to the steering shaft under the dash, drop teh rack down a little, straighten the wheel, then replace the bolts. Basically, you just have to turn the wheel (independent of the steering rack moving) and re tighen.

Ive done this a bunch of times, just can't explain it very clearly, so ask questions if you don't understand.

good luck!

I was looking at that, but it looks like its still going to be off by a few degrees

If there is a long black box, about 1.5" deep by 16" long attached under the dash to the steering shaft, you have rack and pinion steering. Pretty sure you do.

If so, set the rudder straight, unbolt the 4 bolts that attach the steering rack to the steering shaft under the dash, drop teh rack down a little, straighten the wheel, then replace the bolts. Basically, you just have to turn the wheel (independent of the steering rack moving) and re tighen.

Ive done this a bunch of times, just can't explain it very clearly, so ask questions if you don't understand.

good luck!

Thanks. I saw the black box. I was thinking about doing what you describe but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks for the help. I will adjust it soon. Keep you posted

I like how it is off just so, makes me pay attention while driving. My VTX doesnt do it, nor did my older wakesetter xti. Both my tourney boats did it, an 00 sportster and an 05 lxi. Maybe they tune it that way for the ski boats?

Edited by bsoss

Because of the throw of the prop, just lining everything up straight when the boat is dry will not get it exactly straight. You have to do it on the water when you can drive it. Get the boat up to about 25-30 mph and going as straight as you can get it. Leave the steering wheel in this position and power down. climb under the dash and loosen the four 1/2" bolts that hold the black steering rack to the steering column. Turn the steering wheel until it is perfectly straight and tighten the bolts back down. Pretty simple to do.

BTW, I should put in the disclaimer that I learned how to do it from another post on this site when I was researching replacing my steering cable...

Because of the throw of the prop, just lining everything up straight when the boat is dry will not get it exactly straight. You have to do it on the water when you can drive it. Get the boat up to about 25-30 mph and going as straight as you can get it. Leave the steering wheel in this position and power down. climb under the dash and loosen the four 1/2" bolts that hold the black steering rack to the steering column. Turn the steering wheel until it is perfectly straight and tighten the bolts back down. Pretty simple to do.

BTW, I should put in the disclaimer that I learned how to do it from another post on this site when I was researching replacing my steering cable...

It looks like he already knows where the steering wheel is when going straight, so he can do this on the trailer. Just block the rudder from moving from the position while making the adjustment of the rack and pinion. I did this adjustment on my '99, and it's a simple thing.

• 1 month later...

It looks like he already knows where the steering wheel is when going straight, so he can do this on the trailer. Just block the rudder from moving from the position while making the adjustment of the rack and pinion. I did this adjustment on my '99, and it's a simple thing.

+ 1 on the rack and pinion adjustment. Did it in about 15 minutes on my 07 lsv.

+ 1 on the rack and pinion adjustment. Did it in about 15 minutes on my 07 lsv.

Plus1.gif for the rack being removed. Have a set of tools, take the boat to the lake, drive in a staight line at 20mph, shut motor down and hold wheel straight no matter what way the boat turns. Remove rack box, turn wheel straight and re-install rack. Drive straight again to make sure you have every thing lined up right.