Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Meguiar's Gold Teak Oil

Anyone have experience with this product? I bought a bottle last year and it's over half gone but I am not getting good results. No matter how many coats I put on my platform will look dried out after one outing. The same will happen even if the boat sits for about a week out of the water, indoors or not. When I first apply it the platform looks beautiful, it just doesn't last. I'm wondering if maybe the previous owner applied something that is not allowing the teak oil to penetrate deep enough? Might need to completely refinish it, I guess.

Anyone have experience with this product? I bought a bottle last year and it's over half gone but I am not getting good results. No matter how many coats I put on my platform will look dried out after one outing. The same will happen even if the boat sits for about a week out of the water, indoors or not. When I first apply it the platform looks beautiful, it just doesn't last. I'm wondering if maybe the previous owner applied something that is not allowing the teak oil to penetrate deep enough? Might need to completely refinish it, I guess.

Did you try sanding first?

Did you try sanding first?

No, I haven't. It looked in pretty good condition and just thought it would need some oil a few times per year. Sanding it down to bare wood is what I think I need to do, to get off any previous treatments.

I would pressure wash, chemically clean it, then sand and refinish.

Usually have to put a bunch of coats on at the beginning of the season to really penetrate the wood.

-Chris

*edit I can't spell

Edited by 99response

From general woodworking knowledge, I wouldn't expect that sanding or other treatments would make a difference if it's drying out too fast. The opposite problem would tell me that the wood is sealed up and would need some sanding or chemicals. It sounds like the product has too much carrier (thinner) and too little active ingredient (oil).

After recommendations from this site, I started using a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. If the teak is dried out, it soaks up well and lasts a couple of months. It's also much cheaper. My boat cover goes over the platform, so it doesn't see the sun in between uses.

I refinished mine ( sanded down to fresh wood ) - It is still taking oil. I am using Valspar's teak oil. Most are the same if they are in fact teak oils. The wood will take allot before it finially fills up. It will also darken the more it soaks up.

Steve