Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Suggestions to Malibu

Chia

Standardize the wiring harness and provide scematics in the owners manual

Anchor storage up front

Add at least 4 inches to the Illusion Tower height (I'm 6" 1")

In addition to the bolster seat option just make a pedastal seat that you can move up and down about 6 inches

Improve the way the Illsuion Tower mounts to the boat, tightening it is a real PITA.

Greater volume pumps and larger diameter lines for the ballast system

Easier access to the bottom of the transmission to clean change the filter

Higher quality on the marine vinyl

Higher quality carpet

Front access panel in the floor next to the driver needs to be made stronger.

Make the seat height overall about 2" taller for more storage room under the seats

Raise the floor area up between the passeger cockpit and the driver cockpit at the same height as the bow area for more stoage under or a built in cooler.

High output alternator standard minimum 120amp

Provide mounts in the drivers cockpit area so that you can add a GPS system/Ipod easily

Allow for easier access behind the radio and fuse/breaker area for modifications

The drivers footrest mount is a POOR after thought. Make the mounts more robust and easier to access for removal.

-Dave

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VinRLX

• MalibuNation

• Chia

• Hack

I Would like an all off/empty button/switch. I think it would be useful when you end your sets or are loading up the trailer, to make sure all of the lights, radios, other electronics are off, and it would drain the ballast tanks and automatically shut off the pumps (similar to what the presets do now)...

I also like the floor drain that MC has in their boats, seems useful and easy to implement...

2009 has an "all-off" button now. Don't believe it incorporates draining though.

6) Add louver closures on the end of the heater snorkels so we can shut off the air flow.

Added late 08, at least on the walk- through snorkel. Thank you Heatercraft.

Wow! Tons of great ideas. I see a lot of refinement. What about all-out innovation?

A couple of ideas I have kicked around -

Surf Wedge- in addition to the center wedge, a wedge on the starbort and port sides of the stern that you could deploy independently with the center wedge to suck that side of the boat down.

While you're at it, a mid-ships wedge that deploys straight down from the center of the boat to pull the front down more.

Another, that is a bit of a luxury item - teak engine hatches with inlaid mahogany highlights/stripes - I think this would look really good with some color schemes, and a teak swim step.

Living where summer is short, I also think about those cold weather days. A hard top, maybe something high tech like carbon fiber like you see ricers and real racers using for their hoods, with extended glass windshield, and glass sides, and maybe a rear curtain to hang down to hold the heat in. It would only need to extend a bit past the tower to really be effective for 2 or 3 people.

Another, surprised no one has mentioned this, a hybrid-either diesel-electric or gas-electric. This is actually a great application for it - high torque from zero RPM, gas or diesel to keep the momentum going and to supplement after a hole-shot, and an extra 1000 lbs or two of batteries for ballast. Include a hard-top bimini coated with solar collectors, and maybe the engine cover to boot and you are good to drastically cut your operating expenses. Sure there would be challenges and extra dilligence required to marinize this and waterproof everything, the last thing you would want is a tingling in your feet as you stood on your wet carpet. Shocking.gif

Something else that would be trick would be mini-thrusters for slow speed manoeuvering, able to rotate or push a boat completely side-ways for a short distance.

MalibuNation
Thre are some really good ideas here. How do we get Malibu to read this and is there a prize for the idea(s) that shows up on the 2010 models?

I'm sure Malibu is listening ... prize part can't help you with.

I hate the little latch that holds down the swing away part of the windshield. Mine doesnt seem to do much. My buddy also has an 08 VTX and his is just as useless. Also, why havnt they moved the cupholder in the bow so you can use it when the windshield is open?

The cupholder in the bow seems like it would be an easy fix. Also, the cupholders on the engine cover (Response LXI)... they get too much heat from the motor and stuff gets warm really fast.

• 3 weeks later...

i would like to see gas caps on both sides of the tank. it can be a pain in the butt trying to get into some of these gas stations to fill up.

i would like to see gas caps on both sides of the tank. it can be a pain in the butt trying to get into some of these gas stations to fill up.

they heard you cause that is standard equipment on my boat.

MalibuNation

What about a practical locking gas cap or caps ... since this has cropped up again. I looked into getting an after market one when I ordered my boat in 2002.

Malibu needs to improve the ice chest!

make it quality so that the ice doesn't melt for at least a day....or 2!

for those of us that like the bling.....might even offer an electric fridge instead of the ice chest

woo hoo

I would buy it

get back on the slalom bainwagon at the start Malibu... the malibu sportster is the best boat you've ever made because its cost effective.

skiing is making a comeback, combine that with a poor economy and a less expensive boat is the answer.

3 color gelcoat, old sporty vinyl, basic features and volume sales....

6) Add louver closures on the end of the heater snorkels so we can shut off the air flow. Apparently this is complete. Now I need to order a new snorkel.

The screws on the rail do tear the guide posts bad!!

Walkthrough screen.

Better support for the window when it is open on the VTX. I don't like the way it flexes while under way if it is open.

How about tying the centre tank ballast pump in with a tee fitting and valving so you can use it to pump out the excess water that sits in the hull. Maybe it is just me but I have a heck of a time emptying all the water out. I always end up going home and using a shop vac to suck it out. It would be so nice to just pump the water from the hull and out with just closing one valve and opening the other. This is a mod I need to do as well as the Y fitting for low RPM heat.

Edited by trentj6930
One more item.

Have a stand built that is standard to rest the illusion tower on. Take that extra stress off the dash.

Plus1.gif Resting the tower on the dash with a piece of foam in between is ho-daddy.

Edited by hdchapman

I just added 9" to the chains holding the gas caps. Now I can set them on the gunnel instead of having them bang on the gelcoat. Also I don't worrt about them breaking and falling in the water while filling and being pushed on by the nozzle. Malibu could do this for under a buck. Only takes a little more chain.