Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Suggestions to Malibu

Chia

This idea is not to bash Malibu but to give them ideas on how they can make the boats even better.

After using the boats I am sure you have thought of something thing you would have done differently had you designed the boat. Even better if you have a mod that can be done post purchase.

for example:

1. Bow Ballast, make it slightly smaller and leave room for an anchor under that small cushion at the bow.

2. put some inline valves (like what MC has done) so that a kcl solution could easily be added to ballast tanks (rear, mid and bow).

edit: note to self, check post for spelling before posting.

Edited by Cervelo
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VinRLX

• MalibuNation

• Chia

• Hack

I Would like an all off/empty button/switch. I think it would be useful when you end your sets or are loading up the trailer, to make sure all of the lights, radios, other electronics are off, and it would drain the ballast tanks and automatically shut off the pumps (similar to what the presets do now)...

I also like the floor drain that MC has in their boats, seems useful and easy to implement...

The return of the Sportster!

Return of the Pre 2004 Sunsetter LXi

Side exit exhaust, for wake surfing.

Three piece engine cover.

Edited by BLACK PEARL

I also would like a small place up front for the anchor. I also would like a little more room between the windshield and dash on the 2008's, very hard to clean!

Snap out carpeting on floor only, with a drain.

The ability to lower the anchor light as it catches on the lift canopy cover (have broken two).

Auto shutoff when the ballast is empty/full would be good.

Why doesn't the rear storage fit a wakeboard (I don't care now but when my racks were on back order I really cared)? Seems like an easy fix as they only miss by an inch or two.

A catch or latch system so the chrome dash cover doesn't rest so heavily on the vinyl.

A swing out bow walkthrough closure similar to CC and MC's. The Plexiglas thing works but isn't as convenient or clean as the other brands' solutions.

That's all I can think of which to me is a testament to Malibu's engineering. Truly been great so FAR!

Edited by Hack
I also would like a small place up front for the anchor. I also would like a little more room between the windshield and dash on the 2008's, very hard to clean!

Try a California duster for that.

I hate the little latch that holds down the swing away part of the windshield. Mine doesnt seem to do much. My buddy also has an 08 VTX and his is just as useless. Also, why havnt they moved the cupholder in the bow so you can use it when the windshield is open?

The return of the Sportster!

Return of the Pre 2004 Sunsetter LXi

Side exit exhaust, for wake surfing.

Three piece engine cover.

Yahoo.gif

I really like my 07 VLX. If I could change one thing it would be the mirror on the swing away windshield. When the windshield is in open position the mirror is useless. I like driving the boat with the windshield open so I think I will have to get an after market mirror I can attach to the tower. They should try to develop some board racks like MC has, they are the best as far as I am concerned.

I really like my 07 VLX. If I could change one thing it would be the mirror on the swing away windshield. When the windshield is in open position the mirror is useless. I like driving the boat with the windshield open so I think I will have to get an after market mirror I can attach to the tower. They should try to develop some board racks like MC has, they are the best as far as I am concerned.

Plus1.gif but i didn't list it because the racks are made by someone else. The Sampson Tower mirror is great BTW!

Heated observers' seat!!!

Don't EVER use JBL again. Great concept, crappy implementation.

Telescoping/retractable anchor light. :) I needed mine last night, but it was under the back seat. And my back seat was in the gear locker at home. . .

Stereo and speed controls in the steering wheel.

Mechanical switches standard, the electronic gizmo dash as an option.

Why is the heated driver’s seat switch in a hard to reach location, on a mechanical switch and not the dash??

Dump Malibu cruise for Perfect Pass!

Why can I see sunlight in every VTX glove box I’ve opened?

Why are the illusion tower mounts crooked on every VTX?

+whatever to bringing back the Sportster and Sunsetter LXi and observer heated seat.

Stereo and speed controls in the steering wheel.

Mechanical switches standard, the electronic gizmo dash as an option.

Why is the heated driver’s seat switch in a hard to reach location, on a mechanical switch and not the dash??

Dump Malibu cruise for Perfect Pass!

Why can I see sunlight in every VTX glove box I’ve opened?

Why are the illusion tower mounts crooked on every VTX?

+whatever to bringing back the Sportster and Sunsetter LXi and observer heated seat.

I would like the tower to be about 4" taller so i dont have to duck under it.( at least an option)

A bimini that one person could put away in less then 10 min.

1200gph pumps on all ballast tanks and two on center ballast tank.

yes on snap out carpeting with drains, larger and easier to use bimini, clean up of wiring behind the dash, more lockable storage without those straps that are screws into particle board!!, get rid of speakers on the dash they just bounce off the windshield, onboard compass?????, on my 247RX of course with the seating I always have to add a little weight to the drivers side to even out my wake, how abot raising the floor some in the rear to make the passenger rear ballast larger, or simply mounting batteries and other devices a hair farther to taht side??

all this being said i love the boat and it drives awesome, this is my first inboard and i'll never go back.. thanks and hope the input helps someone out

Telescoping/retractable anchor light. :) I needed mine last night, but it was under the back seat. And my back seat was in the gear locker at home. . .

ROFL.gif Now that's funny!

I think more than anything, I'd like to see some standardization of wiring. If they had a loom that was built for every boat length (& I don't think that it would be difficult given the standardization of hulls that they've been going for over the past few years), then it would make things so much easier in so many ways down the road. They could actually make an accurate schematic, & it would also clean up the area behind dash that is a complete mass-gaggle on every Malibu that I've looked at. I suspect that long term it would also save them money both on the construction end as well as on the warranty side of things.

When reading this thread, and trying to put my suggestions down, I found many to be a bit picky and anal.

When I thought about it, that really says a lot for Malibu! Many are really production issues, rather than design changes. In general, I would like to see a bit more attention paid to the details when the boats are being made. Some have to do with the actual workers and others have more to do with what they are told to do.

I'm not one to complain, but here are a few suggestions...

1) Increase the number of passenger side cup holders in the RLXi from 0 to at least 1! :Doh:

2) Swivel driver's seat option on the RLXi and make sure that it doesn't increase the seat height.

3) Add a second driver's cup holder in front of the standard one, giving us 2. One for crap and one for coffee.

4) Block the ends of the compartment behind the driver's cup holder so stuff doesn't travel out of reach.

5) Wire the heaters for Med and Hi, not Low & Med.

6) Add louver closures on the end of the heater snorkels so we can shut off the air flow.

7) Seal the windshield corners to the deck to keep glove box dry.

8) Add slalom settings to the Malibu Cruise pre-sets.

9) Add GPS to the Malibu Cruise. (a boy can dream, can't he?)

10) Provide finer steering wheel height adjustments.

11) Add fuel pressure to the dash display.

12) Add wireless Internet connectivity to the new dashboard screen. Whistling.gif

Incorporate a fuel consumption in a GPH format into the current computer. Especially relevant with today's fuel prices.

The pop cleat locations suck IMO, especially the rear cleats.

Both sets of cleats are mounted too low to be effective. Although the placement is visually appealing, they just don't seem to do much good for using fenders. They work fine for tying up to a dock, but tying off fenders on them and then tying off on the dock leaves something to be desired. ...JMO of course