Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Treating your boat cover

Slalom Frog

I'm on my third summer with by boat cover and it's not shedding water as well as when it was new. I have been considering treating the cover with some type of product, just not sure what to use. Has anyone done this? If so, what did you use and how were your results?

I'm on my third summer with by boat cover and it's not shedding water as well as when it was new. I have been considering treating the cover with some type of product, just not sure what to use. Has anyone done this? If so, what did you use and how were your results?

Funny you started this topic. I was laying in bed last night thinking the same thing. I was thinking maybe some sort of spray-on Scotch Guard.

I'll be interested to see what other BU crew members advise....

303 Fabric Guard. Use as directed.

Eh, Jack doesn't know what he's talking about. You can tell becuase he actually read the directions.

I just sell the boat before I bother to treat the cover.

BTW jack and edwin, the response is running like a champ and makes my VLX seem like a minivan.

-Chris

A friend had treated an old canvas cover with scotchgard from a spray can. Over the next couple years his white fiberglass turned yellowish, in areas under the cover. I think it was from the scotchgard.

303 Fabric Guard. Use as directed.

Eh, Jack doesn't know what he's talking about. You can tell becuase he actually read the directions.

:biteme: punk.

;)

Thanks for the info, sounds like I should try 303. Has anyone that has used it in the past found that a 32 oz bottle was enough for a typical boat cover? I did read what the manufacturer listed for coverage area, just wanted to hear some "real-world" results.

Thanks for the info, sounds like I should try 303. Has anyone that has used it in the past found that a 32 oz bottle was enough for a typical boat cover? I did read what the manufacturer listed for coverage area, just wanted to hear some "real-world" results.

At least a gallon....I used most of a gallon on my cover this spring. I followed the directions for cleaning / renewing the Sunbrella material to a "t"....i.e. scrubbed the cover with a "natural soap", let it cure in the sun for a whole day, etc.....first heavy rain, it no longer beaded water....

At least a gallon....I used most of a gallon on my cover this spring. I followed the directions for cleaning / renewing the Sunbrella material to a "t"....i.e. scrubbed the cover with a "natural soap", let it cure in the sun for a whole day, etc.....first heavy rain, it no longer beaded water....

Are you saying even after re-treating, your cover would still not bead water?

You'll want to use something like this to apply it. I think a lot of people get carried away and use too much of the fabric gaurd. One gallon is more than enough. You're not supposed to apply so much that it soaks the cover.

Use as directed.
You're not supposed to apply so much that it soaks the cover.

Yeah, see, and I got crap from Boston Boy for mentioning the directions. Whistling.gif