Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to break kids of a nasty habit

MalibuNation

Our kids are 7-13 years of age and all beginners. I have had most luck when one of us dads gets in the water with the child (worked for my wife too), help them get comfortable sitting in the water, holding the rope with a slight drag from the boat, then even help guide the board up when the boats starts to pull them up. Want to do this close to shore so when they do get up you can swim to safety.

We only break out the tube at the end of the day. Our tube has two seated positions but as of yesterday we put a third kid laying forward in the middle of the tube, conserves gas and the kids get more riding time. I would rather everyone just wakeboard, but after seeing the smiles on the childern's faces when tubing, I am reminded of why we have a boat in the first place, to just have fun.

Edited by Sandbagger
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• areamike

• MalibuNation

• WakeGirl

• bobofthenorth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Get a boom and let them have fun with that. Often kids don't like being out on a long 'by themselves' without the security of something big like a tube to hold onto. But give them the thrill of ski, board, wakeskate, kneeboard or similar right beside the boat where they can fell safe often gives them the confidence to try the less 'enclosed' watersports.

My kids are now 6- boy and 8- girl. Our rule has always been that they must ski 1X for every 2X on the tube. Well my daughter rode the tube 2X then went for her ski (on the boom) and has not been on the tube since. She is skiing long line. Yahoo.gif My son still likes the tube but happily skis (rope on boom) as well. He will be skiing long line this year too. The kids are way more comfortable if they are not alone 60 ft behind the boat. We often use the tube for an adult to hang out in the water with the kids for a long line start. The adult might just hold them from flopping around or talk to them and keep them from getting uptight while driver takes up slack. Their confidence is growing and the tube is used less and less. This year they will try wake boarding and hopefully slalom.

We like to expose the kids to as much as we can and let them figure out what they are into with gentle coercion from us. It's amazing watching your passions become their passions.

My wife and I are tubing snobs, have been for about 6 years now. We cured it by just not owning any tubes so it was not an option. Our kids are currently 3, 6 and 10. They all do some form of skiing, wakeboarding or ski skimming. At the young age of 5 my daughter asked me to teach her how to barefoot. We have encouraged them to do some form of skiing but not pressured them. A little encouragement with bribery, Tootsie Rolls, Slim Jims and Oreo cookies always helped.

As some previous posters have said, tubing requires no skill and there is little exercise from it. We completely agree with that belief and therefore always encourage the kids and their friends to try their hand at skiing. To date, we have had very good luck with kids learning something other than tubing and having a ball. We do completely agree that it is about having fun, we just want to do it without tubes.

14 year old boy saying he was scared....easy fix just put a couple 14 year old girls in the boat and that should fix the problem.

-Chris

Especially if either of the 14 year old girls is gung ho to try anything other than tubing. This is the 100%-guaranteed-to-work fix for your problem. :) I can't tell you how many times I've seen it work over the years, & it always works without fail.

I would go with this, it will work.

Or perhaps have an accident involving the tube and a sharp implement Whistling.gif

The key to it is that you can't say anything about it or acknowledge it in any way. The only thing that you can do is to be as encouraging of the other kids trying the other sports as you are to your own kids. If you do that & then just let nature take its course, it will work.

Beat the he!! out of them on the tubes and they will never want to do it again. Then offer to teach them a "safe" watersport such as wakeboarding or skiing Biggrin.gif

I thought tubing was the next Olympic event? Just think of all the dreams that will be killed!

Now if you could find less pages devoted to tubing in Overton's the kids won't drool for a pull.

We need Wii to come out with a waterski game and I would bet the farm kids would line up to ski or whatever.

When I was a kid, we had a boat from the early 70's which didn't have a power outlet for an air pump. For the first couple years of my life, my mom would blow up the tube while we were out, but when I turned five, she said she wasn't going to blow it up any more. That left me with two options. Blow the tube up myself (at age 5) or learn to ski. I choose learn to ski. Especailly if they are older kids, give them this option because if they are blowing the tube up with their own air, at least you know that is what they really want to do, and not just doing it because it doesn't take any work.

When I was a kid, we had a boat from the early 70's which didn't have a power outlet for an air pump. For the first couple years of my life, my mom would blow up the tube while we were out, but when I turned five, she said she wasn't going to blow it up any more. That left me with two options. Blow the tube up myself (at age 5) or learn to ski. I choose learn to ski. Especailly if they are older kids, give them this option because if they are blowing the tube up with their own air, at least you know that is what they really want to do, and not just doing it because it doesn't take any work.

Haha, *accidentally* leave the air pump at home. :lol:

I'm having a dickens of a time getting kids from very young to upper teens to do anything but tube.

Can't seem to get any of them to try skiing or wakeboard ... had a 14 year old boy who we (me and the parents) finally talked into trying skiing ... had the skis on ... and even before we pulled him for the first time he started balling that he was scared.

I grew up fearless ... maybe it was stupidity.

Maybe after seeing me ski that's the reason they don't want anything to do with it. (Meant to put the gif here).

Poke a hole in the tube... :)

MalibuNation

I'm afraid if I said no tubing until you ski or board... they wouldn't go at all.

The opposite sex things sounds interesting ... but living in the boonies my crews are somewhat limited.

MalibuNation
Get a boom and let them have fun with that. Often kids don't like being out on a long 'by themselves' without the security of something big like a tube to hold onto. But give them the thrill of ski, board, wakeskate, kneeboard or similar right beside the boat where they can fell safe often gives them the confidence to try the less 'enclosed' watersports.

Good idea ... just more $ and another thing to store though.

You know what BOAT stands for don't you? Bust Out Another Thousand.

Find someone else with kids who ski, wakeboard or knee board and let them go with them for a day. Parents not around will go a long way!!!

Else, let 'em have fun and tube. Enjoy that time and take some pictures and keep the skis handy!

Ain't that the truth.

I agree with a few others. If push comes to shove, when they want on the tube, drive like a MAD MAN...They won't want to go again. I did sort of the same with my kids and they actually were more scared of the tube than skiing after a while. Nothing like a WHIP at 60MPH to make your bootie pucker up a little. Rockon.gif

Edited by areamike

Ain't that the truth.

I agree with a few others. If push comes to shove, when they want on the tube, drive like a MAD MAN...They won't want to go again. I did sort of the same with my kids and they actually were more scared of the tube than skiing after a while. Nothing like a WHIP at 60MPH to make your bootie pucker up a little. Rockon.gif

I'm still afraid of tubing. I've seen more injuries from tubing than I've seen from all other watersports combined.

I want my kids to ski and board, but also love to watch them on the tube. Just as long as they are with me and having a good time, I could care less what they are doing. Just as long as I dont mess up the water for someone else, I just dont understand why everyone has such a hard time with tubes.

Ain't that the truth.

I'm still afraid of tubing. I've seen more injuries from tubing than I've seen from all other watersports combined.

You and me both. I'm 39, went tubing the other day and had flash backs of being 12 again...I cried like a baby! Cry.gif

MalibuNation

Ain't that the truth.

You and me both. I'm 39, went tubing the other day and had flash backs of being 12 again...I cried like a baby! Cry.gif

The main reason I don't tube is people pay me back for pulling them tubing.

Sometimes I tell people we don't just tube we "Rambo Tube" ... and believe it or not some people have to ask me what is that. Then I explain I take no hostages. If they don't get it then, they aren't allowed in my boat.

Hey, I've only put 2 people in the hospital tubing, that's not a bad track record is it? Maybe that could be the next poll.

Edited by MalibuNation

From personal experience people who are more apt to ski/wakeboard (not tube) are generally more comfortable in the water as a whole. I had an ex gf who never really wanted anything to do with the sport, even though I loved it. Over time I asked friends who were both very comfortable in the water (thus active wakeboarders) and those who were not as comfortable in the water (thus less likely to do anything but tube) about their swimming experiences. Almost ALL of the avid wakeboarders had been in one situation or another where their swimming abilities were tested to a point of almost failure. What I mean by this is that they were all stuck in situations where they had to "survive" on their swimming skills. This survival resulted in building their confidence and proving to themselves that "it doesn't get much worse than that". This is akin to a kid freaking out about getting a shot, then getting one and realizing "hey it wasnt that bad" it's all mind over matter. The kids who were less likely to jump in the water and toss on a piece of equipment generally had little experience in rough swimming conditions, adverse conditions or downright scary water experiences. As a result they were less comfortable with their swimming skills and questioned their ability to stay afloat.

My suggestion would be to stick a kid on your shoulders or with you on the board and take him out there with you. If they are too big for that, float with them and help them get a deep water start under their belt before you let them "solo" behind the boat. Or you could double with them.

Another way to get them out there (if they are teenager years) is to grab some of his female friends, and a kid his age who does wakeboard. The typical male response of competition should ensue.

Wanting to tube to the exclusion of boarding or skiing has never really been an issue in our boat but I had to think hard about why that was. I think there were several things we did that contributed to that:

1) we got the kids skiing and boarding lessons when they were really young. Young kids are used to doing things for "the teacher" that they won't willingly do for their parents. That gave them confidence and they naturally wanted to practice in our boat.

2) we bought a boom at the same time we bought the 'Bu. The boom is the single greatest confidence builder that you can give a kid. Being able to learn right there beside the boat with a coach talking them through and encouraging them every step is so important.

3) we were both learning ourselves so we took the lessons and got in the water with the kids right from the start. They saw us learning and progressing and that motivated them.

And tubing was always a reward and a relaxation at the end of the day. The kids had to pump up the tube right from the start. We got one of those pregnant bicycle pumps and they blew it up by themselves and deflated it at the end of the day so they knew there was some work involved if they wanted to ride it.

The best moment I ever had in the boat was one time when one of the boys had a bunch of his school friends out with him. One of the friends wanted to tube in the worst way. I heard my son say "we don't really tube that much unless its too gross to do anything else." Way to go kid!!

The best moment I ever had in the boat was one time when one of the boys had a bunch of his school friends out with him. One of the friends wanted to tube in the worst way. I heard my son say "we don't really tube that much unless its too gross to do anything else." Way to go kid!!

Bringing him up right Bob, good on ya'!

Unfortunately he has turned into a great disappointment to me. First he prefers riding his wakeboard to the real sport but the last straw has been that he is going to go to university to become an engineer. I have taken to telling people that he wants to be a gay hooker because that is so much less embarassing than having an engineer in the family.

Cry.gifCry.gifCry.gifCry.gifCry.gif

Unfortunately he has turned into a great disappointment to me. First he prefers riding his wakeboard to the real sport but the last straw has been that he is going to go to university to become an engineer. I have taken to telling people that he wants to be a gay hooker because that is so much less embarassing than having an engineer in the family.

Cry.gifCry.gifCry.gifCry.gifCry.gif

Now I don't feel so bad about being a crybaby

Cry.gifBaby.gif