Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mooring to dock

JRo

Just wondering how the ones that keep their boats moored at a marina tie up.

The first question I would have, is the bow eye ring a good/strong place to tie the front down?

What kind of backing plate does it have if any?

Boat in question is a 2002 Wakesetter VLX

Thanks

Edited by JRo

I have a slip for the boat and use 3 attachment points. I have the slip lined with a series of bumpers, but have it set up so that the boat never touches. I have a line across the bow with a quick release stainless clip in the center of the line clipped onto the bow hook of the boat. I then have a line to each transom tie-down hook coming from the ends of the slip from each side. I've done this for the past 5 years and have never had any damage to the boat.

I have a slip for the boat and use 3 attachment points. I have the slip lined with a series of bumpers, but have it set up so that the boat never touches. I have a line across the bow with a quick release stainless clip in the center of the line clipped onto the bow hook of the boat. I then have a line to each transom tie-down hook coming from the ends of the slip from each side. I've done this for the past 5 years and have never had any damage to the boat.

I get that you have a single dock with no one beside you. I attached a picture of how I tied her down and I think it is pretty close to yours. The front is tied to the bow eye also with a quick release clip making a V to the dock and the rear is tied to the transom tie down. The stretch line not allowing the boat to go foward and hit the dock or backward is tied to the pop up cleat. Also have bumpers tied to the dock but the boat does rub up against since it's a dual slip. Any comments or is this pretty much the way you tied it. Again thanks, just paranoid while I am away from the boat it is sitting at the cottage 300 miles away.

Mooringtie.jpg

Yeah, mine is in a single slip with dock on either side of the boat.

I know that others have used whips when they only have one side to tie down to.

Yeah, mine is in a single slip with dock on either side of the boat.

I know that others have used whips when they only have one side to tie down to.

If you will be getting any wave action, you will want something like this - a Proflex Line Saver (Overtons). What you don't want are waves coming in, rocking your boat until there is no more slack in the line and jerking the hardware on your boat and dock.

The first question I would have, is the bow eye ring a good/strong place to tie the front down?

Thanks

You can lift the boat up with a crane with the bow and sten eyes, they are plenty strong.

-Chris

Thanks

You can lift the boat up with a crane with the bow and sten eyes, they are plenty strong.

-Chris

Yes I have seen that, my concern is I took an open wrench to my eye rings and they were all loose. Yes over the years they could have came a little loose, which worries me since now there is constant strain on them. Which I would figure would work them loose a lot faster now. Anyone else have this issue? I would of thought Malibu would use lock washers on the back or some lock tight of come sort.

I will just keep an eye out for them getting loose. If anyone has the time check you eye rings and let me know if they also were loose, please. Enjoy the summer guys and girls.

My 01 has a plate, 2 washers and 2 locknuts and each eye, I would get some lockwashers in there.

-Chris

That is on the front one. How big is the plate and the lock washers on the plate side correct? Thanks alot.

I use one of these on one of the eyes on the stern: http://www.stowawayholdaway.com/

And then I have the same setup as you do on the front, a stainless clip that is tied to the dock in two places to keep the boat off the dock and away from the boat next to me. I don't have to use any lines on the side of the boat, just the stowaway holdaway thing. The marina where I am is in a cove and protected so it doesn't see much waves at all. The stowaway will keep your boat off the dock and if you rig it up right it will hold it from moving forward so you can eliminate the ropes on the side of the boat. Besides, with my cover, the cleats are covered anyways.

I have sort of the same thing as jtrovato. I made it out of PVC, rope & carabiners purchased at Home Depot for under $25. I've been making them for our boats on Sammamish & now on Liberty for like the last 10 yrs. Works so well that 5 or 6 other guys on my dock have rigged the same setup on their own boats.

No bumpers needed. And just takes a few seconds to hook up or unhook the boat.

• 2 weeks later...
I have sort of the same thing as jtrovato. I made it out of PVC, rope & carabiners purchased at Home Depot for under $25. I've been making them for our boats on Sammamish & now on Liberty for like the last 10 yrs. Works so well that 5 or 6 other guys on my dock have rigged the same setup on their own boats.

No bumpers needed. And just takes a few seconds to hook up or unhook the boat.

Bill, any chance you could give me more detail on how you made them, I've been looking for a solution myself.

Thanks!!!

this is exactly how i tie up,,,works great

Bill, any chance you could give me more detail on how you made them, I've been looking for a solution myself.

Thanks!!!

I don't have any pictures of the poles & am not sure they would come out very good because I made them out of the black 2.5" sewer pipe..... they don't really stand out on the water very much.

But here was my parts list when I went to Home Depot:

- one piece of the black 2.5" x 10' sewer pipe (white or grey PVC works too)

- Four 2.5" black sewer pipe end caps

- one 100' bundle of mold/mildew/rot proof 1/2" or 3/8" (not sure which) rope

- two large stainless carabiners

Go out to your boat slip & take some measurements from the dock beside your boat to the bow ring & transom ring to the cleats on your dock. Cut two pieces of the sewer/PVC pipe to the appropriate lengths.... I like about 18" - 24" between the boat & the dock/boat on either side.

Drill holes in the ends of each of the caps.

I back my boat into the boat slip so the swimstep is sitting one easy step off the dock. Makes it easy to cover/uncover. But how you set these up will depend on your situation.

Basically you tie your rope on the rear cleat, route it thru the pipe the carabiner hooked on your transom ring (knot it), then back thru the pipe & tie it off at the cleat.

Then run another piece of rope from the rear carabiner to the front cleat (keeps the swimstep from hitting the dock), tie it off at the cleat, then route it thru the pipe to the bow ring, thru the carabiner (knot it) then back thru the pipe & tie it off at the front cleat.

Then one small piece of rope from a cleat behind your boat tied off at a carabiner hooked on the transom will keep the boat from going forward.

Any rope that is in constant contact with your boat can be covered with old garden hose or some clear tubing (also at HD).

Heres a diagram of the whole thing. Hope this helps. Takes me about 10 or 15 seconds to unhook & drive out of the slip, maybe 20 or 30 seconds to back it in & hook it up. Works so well for my boat that like 6 other guys on my dock have copied it. It recently survived a little wind storm... just an hour or two of maybe 30 - 35 mph winds & some pretty good chop. I actually walked down to watch it while it was blowing.... no problems at all.

post-821-1214865337_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • 8 years later...
On 6/16/2008 at 5:52 PM, obski said:

Sorry this is super old but do you have pics of this? 

Sorry, no pics.

I had to read through the post to figure out which slip this was. This moorage closed down after the access path got wiped out, so we moved to another one. The new one had a dock and cleat on one side, instead of both sides.  The boat would rub up against the bumpers some, which then neccesitated some buffing at the end of the season.