Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V-Drive Light

I have '05 wakesetter and my V-drive oil light is on when I'm idling, but when I drive that light goes away. I checked the V-drive oil level and it about 3/4 full, is that normal? Also anyone know where I add the V-Drive oil? I can only see the V-drive Dip stick to check the oil level.

the light is suppose to be on at idle , you only have a problem if it is on above 1200 rpm. there is suppose tp be a sticker on the bezel of the light with this info.

I have '05 wakesetter and my V-drive oil light is on when I'm idling, but when I drive that light goes away. I checked the V-drive oil level and it about 3/4 full, is that normal? Also anyone know where I add the V-Drive oil? I can only see the V-drive Dip stick to check the oil level.

Totally normal if below 1200 rpm. When i've had to add, i just add it through teh dip stick hole.

Is there any equipment to add the V-drive oil? The hole where the dip stick is very small to add the oil and can't seem to find a funnel small enough.

I use a funnel that you would commonly find in your kitchen. Just ask your wife for the smallest funnel she has.

Fill it very slowly.

Looks like this thread got bumped down the list. I called the dealer who told me to use Dextron ATF & to check it when it was warm.

In the vdrive unit? That's true on the newer boats ('06 & later I think is when the new Skivee tranny/vdrive unit is used), but in pre '06 boats I believe the vdrive unit gets 30w oil. Not ATF, that goes in the tranny which should have a separate fill & reservoir. I could be wrong on that, but I thought the Skivee wasn't used until '06.

OK, you got me thinking. This is my first v-drive so...... I called them back to clarify.

There are two dipsticks. The knob on top, just under the back seat is the v-drive. It takes 30 wt. And there is a red "wingnut" looking handle a bit further underneath for the transmission, which takes ATF.

I forgot to ask which of these the light up by the driver is for.

OK, you got me thinking. This is my first v-drive so...... I called them back to clarify.

There are two dipsticks. The knob on top, just under the back seat is the v-drive. It takes 30 wt. And there is a red "wingnut" looking handle a bit further underneath for the transmission, which takes ATF.

I forgot to ask which of these the light up by the driver is for.

That sounds more correct. On the later models they still have the 2 reservoirs, but both take ATF. It can be really confusing when someone asks, that's why I wanted to clarify the point. FWIW, I'm in the same boat (pun intended). It took me some time to get used to a vdrive after having direct drives.