Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Shaft seal draining at pull out??

UteBu

I was out with my cousin (who own a 2007 23 XTi) and when I pulled my boat out he asked: How come there is so much water draining from your shaft? This is my first inboard so I figured it's normal Dontknow.gif , I know the shaft is cooled using raw lake water. He didn't think his boat drained that much water. When I pull out, mine always drains a steady flow equivalent to a garden hose on full for 30 seconds straight. Probably amounts to 3-4 gallons. Last night I recorded the pull out... see the video here I always hit the bilge while I'm waiting for the trailer to get to the ramp, so there is very little water in the bilge when I pull out. I'm not real worried about this just more curious.

What's the consensus, does yours drain that long?

Edited by UteBu

I know you said you use the bilge pump while waiting for the ramp, but mine does not work too well until I'm moving forward as it is in the rear of the boat and needs to be somewhat on plane.

Next time I'd check to see how much water is in the bilge area before you pull out. If there is a locker near the drivers seat,that's the best place to look. It is the lowest spot while the boat is at rest.

Does the XTI still have the HDS? I had a HDS in an LXI I had and looking at the video the volume of water MAY be about right, but I never payed attention to how much drained...

I did however have a HDS leak that was fixed by my dealer. If there is excessive water in the bilge (more than skiers and vests would bring in) there may be an HDS issue. HDS has been covered quite a bit. Search for it and you will find plenty of info.

But before you get all nervous, next time out monitor how much water the boat takes in. DO not run the bilge pump before pull out, and see if the water drains. To test the HDS common method is to fill the bilge (on the trailer) and see where it runs from. I had to fill mine almost to the carpet to find my leak. At that point it ran out the shaft hole.

Good luck and report back.

Pat

I don't think that is normal Dontknow.gif I don't usually look at something like that but we are going out tomorrow and I'll see if ours does that.

I would do see how much water you do have in the boat before pulling it out, have you looked under the boat where the stream of water seems to be coming from?

If he has the watercooled shaft seal (dripless shaft packing) then it's normal. It all the water coming out of the closed loop line from the transmission cooler and back. It does look or seem wierd when you don't know to expect it.

How come there is so much water draining from your shaft?

When I pull out, mine always drains a steady flow equivalent to a garden hose on full for 30 seconds straight. Probably amounts to 3-4 gallons. Last night I recorded the pull out...

Fun with editing. Biggrin.gif

I know you said you use the bilge pump while waiting for the ramp, but mine does not work too well until I'm moving forward as it is in the rear of the boat and needs to be somewhat on plane.

Next time I'd check to see how much water is in the bilge area before you pull out. If there is a locker near the drivers seat,that's the best place to look. It is the lowest spot while the boat is at rest.

Does the XTI still have the HDS? I had a HDS in an LXI I had and looking at the video the volume of water MAY be about right, but I never payed attention to how much drained...

I did however have a HDS leak that was fixed by my dealer. If there is excessive water in the bilge (more than skiers and vests would bring in) there may be an HDS issue. HDS has been covered quite a bit. Search for it and you will find plenty of info.

But before you get all nervous, next time out monitor how much water the boat takes in. DO not run the bilge pump before pull out, and see if the water drains. To test the HDS common method is to fill the bilge (on the trailer) and see where it runs from. I had to fill mine almost to the carpet to find my leak. At that point it ran out the shaft hole.

Good luck and report back.

Pat

I have an older boat. I know I do not have one but would like to know what you are talking about and what it is.

Q. - Whats the HDS box?

Steve

This is normal. My LXI does the samething. If you had water in the bilge area it would not drain through your HDS box that fast. Do you discharge any water when you run your bilge pump?

Hydrophonic Dampening System...Basically it is a box that allows water to surround the prop shaft and dampen vibration/noise. Malibu DDs have them. They are visible underneath the access hattch in the floor behind the motorbox. They have been know to leak in the past (leak into the boat). Someone used to have a video of the HDS in action..they replaced the top with clear plexiglass.

It looks like and sounds like it is the HDS draining as it normally should. No worries.

Nice looking ride by the way!

If he has the watercooled shaft seal (dripless shaft packing) then it's normal. It all the water coming out of the closed loop line from the transmission cooler and back. It does look or seem wierd when you don't know to expect it.

Plus1.gif

When I pull out, mine always drains a steady flow equivalent to a garden hose on full for 30 seconds straight. Probably amounts to 3-4 gallons. Last night I recorded the pull out...

LOL!!! Crazy.gif

You're a sick man, JJ. ;)

You know as I was typing I was careful not to have it sound like that but knew someone would construe it that way. Crazy.gif

Hydrophonic Dampening System...Basically it is a box that allows water to surround the prop shaft and dampen vibration/noise. Malibu DDs have them. They are visible underneath the access hattch in the floor behind the motorbox. They have been know to leak in the past (leak into the boat). Someone used to have a video of the HDS in action..they replaced the top with clear plexiglass.

It looks like and sounds like it is the HDS draining as it normally should. No worries.

Nice looking ride by the way!

Thanks for all the compliments of the boat, I really enjoy the boat! :)

So now I just have a couple more questions, now the HDS makes sense to me and that is about what I would expect to drain out. I took another quick video of the "water drip" from the shaft just behind the transmission this was taken while just floating in the water.

Video Link

Is this drip normal? If it's not whats the remedy?

I also pointed the camera aft under the access panel for a flash photo and I can see the HDS and the rudder assembly beyond that. It all looks normal to me...

HDS002.jpg

Edited by UteBu

Plus1.gif

Plus1.gif

Does the XTI still have the HDS?

All Malibu direct drives still have HDS.

Are you sure? I don't remember seeing anything like that when I replaced my shaft, rudder, and strut. It may be that I just didn't notice.

Video Link

Is this drip normal? If it's not whats the remedy?

That drip rate is too excessive. Should really not even see it dripping without the boat running and in gear. Proper way to test is running and in gear (i.e. shaft turning). Rate I believe (experts on the Crew can verify) should be 1-2 drips every ten seconds in that mode.

On a side note, I had a PSS dripless seal on my last ride - IMO it should be on every inboard.

Edited by Superdave

the picture and video shows that it does not have the dripless shaft packing. The water coming out from the bottom of the boat would be from the HDS and I would guess you need to tighten that packing nut a little to slow that drip down. 1 to 2 drips every 10 seconds when the boat is in gear is what I've always been told too.

Can you take a picture of the shaft seal where it goes into the HDS box?

Sorry for the delay... here's the pic...

HDS003.jpg

HDS004.jpg

Hurts me to see the claw marks (channel lock or pipe wrench) on the coupler. People, we need to be nice to our Bu's, they have feelings too Thumbup.gif