Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

01 Sunsetter EFI Power Drop, bog down.

I have a 2001 Sunsetter LXI. Last season I started getting this random issue when we would be skiing or boarding where all of a suddon the boat would bog down. The only way to get out of it was to put the boat in idle for about 1 min and then it would go again. I started by replacing the following:

spark plugs

distributor cap

rotor

heat sensor

fuel filter

fuel pump - was making a wining noise anyway.

I thought it was fixed, well it is back. Yesterday skiing about 32mph it happend. Then I was running it back to the dock around 30mph and the same thing. The 2 wake board sessions between skiing had no issues, about 17 - 20 mph. Like I said it is random. I have been out about 10 times this year and this is the first time it happend. Any suggestions???

I would check the injector wiring harness for a loose or corroded connection. If not you may have a bad injector.

Edited by BLACK PEARL

Did you replace both fuel filters ? There is an in line 1/2" clamp on hoses with clamps near the tank,along with the screw fitting filter at the fuel pump. (Assuming you have an Indmar Monsoon ,etc.)

Did you replace both fuel filters ? There is an in line 1/2" clamp on hoses with clamps near the tank,along with the screw fitting filter at the fuel pump. (Assuming you have an Indmar Monsoon ,etc.)

If you're fuel pump was whining, it was in trouble, ie clogged fuel filter. You never want a whining fuel pump.

I have a 2001 Sunsetter LXI. Last season I started getting this random issue when we would be skiing or boarding where all of a suddon the boat would bog down. The only way to get out of it was to put the boat in idle for about 1 min and then it would go again. I started by replacing the following:

spark plugs

distributor cap

rotor

heat sensor

fuel filter

I thought it was fixed, well it is back. Yesterday skiing about 32mph it happend. Then I was running it back to the dock around 30mph and the same thing. The 2 wake board sessions between skiing had no issues, about 17 - 20 mph. Like I said it is random. I have been out about 10 times this year and this is the first time it happend. Any suggestions???

spark plugs

distributor cap

rotor

heat sensor

fuel filter

Is the engine overheating? The engine mamangement system will shut down 6 of the 8 cylinders and limit the rpm if the engine gets hot to protect it. For it to correct itself after a minute or two tells me its a cooling problem.

Mine started to overheat and shutting down cylinders and it describes your symptoms. What do the gauges say when this happens?

It may be that, what is considered over heating? Last season it was around 160 to 170 during the times it would happen. Didn't notice what the temp was the other day. I pulled the water lines today and did fine a bunch of rubber from a previous impeller that I shredded 2 years ago. It pretty much had the screen clogged up and the intake holes. The current impeller was in good shape. I went ahead and replaced it. Hope that was the issue.

It may be that, what is considered over heating? Last season it was around 160 to 170 during the times it would happen. Didn't notice what the temp was the other day. I pulled the water lines today and did fine a bunch of rubber from a previous impeller that I shredded 2 years ago. It pretty much had the screen clogged up and the intake holes. The current impeller was in good shape. I went ahead and replaced it. Hope that was the issue.

Don't forget a small block in a car runs 185* normal. My boat runs 160 at low speeds and 165 - 170 when your are tooling along at a good clip for a while.

Also check the fuel pressure regulator. I had a similar problem and after replacing the $400 fuel pump as well as the filters and many other parts I found out it was the $20 regulator.

• 2 months later...

I just had the exact same thing happen to me today on the lake with my 2000 Sunsetter LXI EFI Monsoon. Boat would randomly decide to bog down and would produce smoke out the exhaust. Once idled for a few minutes it would run fine again for a while. I noticed that the temp was around 190* so I thought the impeller was bad. i ran to the local shop and picked up a new one and installed at the ramp. No change. I wasn't sure exactly what temp I should be running but now after reading, I think it was shutting down due to an over-temp. Where can I check for improper water flow. Someone mentioned a screen, where are they talking about. Any help would be great. Brandon

Screen is in the transmission cooler upstream of the impeller. Stick your finger in there and see what you pull out. Also time to look at a thermostat replacement.

-Chris

Thanks for the reply. I did find it on my own just by starting at the impeller and working up. I also found what appears to be nearly a full impeller in pieces blocking up this screen. I have not tested the boat again but I think that was probably my problem. I don't think hardly any water could have been making it through.