Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cover Snap Removal from Hull

I recently purchased a 1998 Response LX and it had snap-on covers at one time. I would like to remove all of the snaps. What's the best way to patch the holes? I received some hull repair tips from Daniel Lariviere on this site and although the process seems to work perfectly, it looks very time consuming and difficult. I suppose there are no shortcuts other than to pay someone the big bucks to do it provided I don't.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Wood

I recently purchased a 1998 Response LX and it had snap-on covers at one time. I would like to remove all of the snaps. What's the best way to patch the holes? I received some hull repair tips from Daniel Lariviere on this site and although the process seems to work perfectly, it looks very time consuming and difficult. I suppose there are no shortcuts other than to pay someone the big bucks to do it provided I don't.

Thanks,

Wood

Sucks that your boat has snaps all over it, but i really doubt it will be worth the time/money/effort to remove them. I'd just live with them.

Did you not notice them when you bought it? Dontknow.gif

.. maybe you just need to get a cover that fits the snaps, and take advantage of having them

Thanks,

Wood

Letting my wife try to load the boat on the trailer with a cross current at the ramp, bumping the dock, was good for taking off one of mine, thankfully no scratches.

• 7 years later...

Thanks,

Wood

Bumping this up because I want to do the same thing. Any new ideas in the last 7 years?

Bumping this up because I want to do the same thing. Any new ideas in the last 7 years?

One of those things that would get me to not even consider buying a boat is if someone drilled snaps all over it. Better off just leaving them be, filling and covering all those holes would suck, especially on a boat with 10 years worth of fading. I'd first take it to your local gel coat guy (ask you dealer who they use) and get an estimate then decide if it is worth DIY or doing it at all.

I agree. I've walked away from boat deals because of the snaps. I always had problems with them on my Prostar.

I think I'd get an estimate on the holes repair & gelcoat in the off season. Maybe it'll be less expensive to do it when their not busy. Just a guess, but it might be good if they do the gel coat in an accent color, rather than trying to match the old color.