Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

storage shed accident

barefootski

Yesterday, the wife and I went out on the water. Since it had been 3 and 1/2 weeks since I have footed (due to weather and working), I was excited to go. I keep the boat stored in an indoor storage facility at the lake where we boat. The storage units are quite tall so I do not have to fold down the tower every time we use the boat. When we arrived, we did our usual routine of getting our stuff in the boat and making sure everything is ready to go. This time, I had to take measurements for my Evolution cover that I ordered today. I guess I was somewhat sidetracked. NOW the bad part.....

As I was pulling out of the storage unit, I was going slowly and we start to hear this noise like metal bending. My wife says "What's that noise?" I immediately stop and look in the rear view mirror. As you could probably already guess, the door to the unit was not quite up high enough and the rope attachement on top of the tower caught the door and we bent the door pretty badly. As I went to assess the damage, I realized that the boat and tower came out just fine. I could not believe that there were no scratches on the tower and no tears on the bimini (which was in storage position). I could not even find a scratch on the rope attachement, I looked for cracks in the hull around the tower leg attachements and I could not find any obvious damage. I guess the door was just at the correct height that it caught on the plastic portion of the rope attachement. The only damage (if I could call it that) was some grime on the seat from when the runners from the door fell into the boat. The door would not close or even move after the damage that I produced. I was going very slowly out of the storage unit. The more I think about it, this could have been much worse.

I know that this story is not as dramatic since I did not think to take a picture before we got the boat out from the door but if anyone has ever done this before, you know what I mean. I quickly called the owner of the facility and he did not seem to make a big deal thank goodness (but he has not seen the damage yet). Luckliy, there was an empty storage unit right next to mine and we moved all of our gear that is usually in the storage unit into this one, locked the door and we still had a good afternoon on the water.

Just wanted to share our mishap yesterday and hopefully, I will not make the same mistake again. I did not discuss with the owner if I'm going to be responsible for the repair costs, I will give an update when I find out.

Yesterday, the wife and I went out on the water. Since it had been 3 and 1/2 weeks since I have footed (due to weather and working), I was excited to go. I keep the boat stored in an indoor storage facility at the lake where we boat. The storage units are quite tall so I do not have to fold down the tower every time we use the boat. When we arrived, we did our usual routine of getting our stuff in the boat and making sure everything is ready to go. This time, I had to take measurements for my Evolution cover that I ordered today. I guess I was somewhat sidetracked. NOW the bad part.....

As I was pulling out of the storage unit, I was going slowly and we start to hear this noise like metal bending. My wife says "What's that noise?" I immediately stop and look in the rear view mirror. As you could probably already guess, the door to the unit was not quite up high enough and the rope attachement on top of the tower caught the door and we bent the door pretty badly. As I went to assess the damage, I realized that the boat and tower came out just fine. I could not believe that there were no scratches on the tower and no tears on the bimini (which was in storage position). I could not even find a scratch on the rope attachement, I looked for cracks in the hull around the tower leg attachements and I could not find any obvious damage. I guess the door was just at the correct height that it caught on the plastic portion of the rope attachement. The only damage (if I could call it that) was some grime on the seat from when the runners from the door fell into the boat. The door would not close or even move after the damage that I produced. I was going very slowly out of the storage unit. The more I think about it, this could have been much worse.

I know that this story is not as dramatic since I did not think to take a picture before we got the boat out from the door but if anyone has ever done this before, you know what I mean. I quickly called the owner of the facility and he did not seem to make a big deal thank goodness (but he has not seen the damage yet). Luckliy, there was an empty storage unit right next to mine and we moved all of our gear that is usually in the storage unit into this one, locked the door and we still had a good afternoon on the water.

Just wanted to share our mishap yesterday and hopefully, I will not make the same mistake again. I did not discuss with the owner if I'm going to be responsible for the repair costs, I will give an update when I find out.

That sucks, at least you did not hurt your bu. Thumbup.gif

Seems like a no brainer on if you are responsible for the damage IMO.

To txwakejunkie:

I agree that I am responsible for causing the damage. The storage unit has 18 different stalls. The owner is a farmer who has a lake house on the lake where we boat. He basically wants payment once a year, I did not sign any contract and this is my third year to rent from him. I'm sure this is not the first time he has had some damage to his facility. In fact, I did not pay him for this years rent until March of this year when I moved my boat to a larger stall.

One a different note, to what degree is the owner of the facility responsible for any damage to the contents if there is a severe storm that were to do damage to the roof or if the roof were to blow off and cause damage to my boat? Do I need a renter's insurance policy or would my boat insurance or umbrella policy help?

To txwakejunkie:

I agree that I am responsible for causing the damage. The storage unit has 18 different stalls. The owner is a farmer who has a lake house on the lake where we boat. He basically wants payment once a year, I did not sign any contract and this is my third year to rent from him. I'm sure this is not the first time he has had some damage to his facility. In fact, I did not pay him for this years rent until March of this year when I moved my boat to a larger stall.

One a different note, to what degree is the owner of the facility responsible for any damage to the contents if there is a severe storm that were to do damage to the roof or if the roof were to blow off and cause damage to my boat? Do I need a renter's insurance policy or would my boat insurance or umbrella policy help?

I would suggest you get your own insurance for whatever you store there. It sounds like this farmer is just making some extra cash and might not have any coverage at all. If you get all legal on him, you will end up paying more to cover his additional costs.

After my last post, I called my insurance company (State Farm) and was told that my boater's insurance policy should cover the costs associated with replacing the door. The agent thought that the liability portion of my policy should cover it since it was damage that I caused. I'm not going to worry about it until the storage facility owner sees the damage and requests payment if he does.

Cervelo, I think you are exactly correct, I think he is just making some extra cash and uses any empty storage places to store his or family members extra stuff.

I ruined my tower last year due to a little memory lapse. First ski of the year and I forgot to fold the tower down before pulling the boat out of the garage. Ruined the tower and damaged the garage door trim. I now have an "idiot" string tied to the top of the tower that extends to the trailer hitch. Won't let that happen a second time!

MalibuNation

This is my first boat with a tower and first boat lift. Never thought about putting the tower down before putting it in the lift. Luckily I was going slow. I know some people can put their boat in the lift with the tower up ... I can't.

After a day of skiing a friend of mine was backing in his garages ... sans the boat ... and he had the rear window to his truck cap up and you guessed it ... it caught the garage door and it shattered.

Done that myself. Mine happened by the emergency release rope on my garage door opener hanging in my tower while I was pulling the boat out. I was also very luck and had no boat damage. The door on the other hand...

I backed my truck right through the (closed) garage door before.

Seems I hit the opener, got in the truck, and the wife hit the opener again while she was getting in and I was distracted. Backed right through it.

Why she had to push the opener button on an already opened door is beyond me. Her story, of course, is different.

I have a buddy who crushed a Titan I inside his boat house a few years ago. Had the boat on the lift, hit the button to raise it all the way up & walked up to the house. The lift raised the boat up, and the tower into the rafters, crushing the tower.

Surprisingly there was no fiberglass or roof damage at all. He doesn't forget to lower the tower any more. Thumbup.gif

I was at Don Pedro this last weekend, but keep my boat at the delta in an indoor facility. When I was dropping it off to them there was a boat that had gone over the levy and looked like a rocket ready to launch still no the trailer. One of their guys had pulled it out of the water and parked it in front of the wharehouse. Didn't bother to put chocks behind the wheels and over it rolled down the levy Whistling.gif .

To top it off it was a mastercraft X (something) that the guy bought brand new a week earlier and dropped it at the storage place the previous Saturday. Wouldn't that be a tough call to take Cry.gif .

Cruzhm