Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery Draw

I juse upgraded my batteries to 2 optima batteries. If I leave the isolator switch on, one will be dead in about 2 weeks. Have tested both batteries and they are good. I am pointing to the obvious that there is a draw coming from somewhere. The problem is I work in the automotive industry, so to check a draw I test between the negative terminal and negative post. The problem with the boat is that what I have been told, nothing is a ground side switch, therefore I can't test for a draw. Makes sense, but there has to be a way to test for a draw. Can anybody help me out. Thanks in advance

I juse upgraded my batteries to 2 optima batteries. If I leave the isolator switch on, one will be dead in about 2 weeks. Have tested both batteries and they are good. I am pointing to the obvious that there is a draw coming from somewhere. The problem is I work in the automotive industry, so to check a draw I test between the negative terminal and negative post. The problem with the boat is that what I have been told, nothing is a ground side switch, therefore I can't test for a draw. Makes sense, but there has to be a way to test for a draw. Can anybody help me out. Thanks in advance

you can test on the neg side or the pos side it doesnt matter. just put amp meter between the battery post and the disconnected cable. you will probly find a draw of 1/2 amp. that is what the clock and memory feature of most the newer radios draw. doesnt sound like much, but 1/2 amp in an hour equals .5amp hour in 24 hours equals 12 amp hours and in two weeks equals 168 amp hours equals dead battery.

I see what your saying, but with a 800 CCA battery, it is not pushing barely any amps in 2 weeks. I understand it will be low, but I can't see resetting all my time settings etc. every two weeks by turning the batteries off. I will see what it draws this weekend.

I see what your saying, but with a 800 CCA battery, it is not pushing barely any amps in 2 weeks. I understand it will be low, but I can't see resetting all my time settings etc. every two weeks by turning the batteries off. I will see what it draws this weekend. like john said an 800cca battery probley is rated 80 or 90 AH amp hour of reserve power. if you have a sony take off the face plate put it in the glove box and that will lower your draw in half. the sony in our motorhome can kill three optimas in 2 1/2 weeks if we leave the face plate on. with it off they will last about a month.