Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Strange break down of 2000 vlx w/monsoon....

So just yesterday I was out riding Anderson Lake with a buddy and the following occurred, which seems like a very strange/unique breakdown.

Pulled him for about 30-45 mins no problem, boat was running great.

He pulls me up and I start riding. About 10 mins into my set the boat comes off plane and wont speed back up in mid pull around a corner. I thought that maybe this was a perfect pass issue so we keyed it over a few times trying to figure out what was going on. Eventually it would fire, run rough and then die within about 5 seconds. It sounded like it was getting starved of air/bad timing like the distributor jumped a tooth in the timing and the timing was way off; but that seems impossible as everything has been/is tight. I say it sounds like it was starved of air since the intake had a substantially louder sucking sound than normal. I was low on gas but we had gas as I checked the shraeder valve for vapor lock and there was gas in the line. We also let the boat cool and tried it again, no luck. I have yet to really dig into it and see whats going on. There are new fuel filters with less than 25 hrs on them as well as cap, rotor and plugs. It seems strange that all of a sudden mid pull things would just go to crap, like the computer took a dump or something.

Any ideas or personal experience with something similar?

Maybe you already tried this, but if not... I'd still say it could be fuel level, even with fuel in the line, that doesn't mean the pickup didn't suck some air as you went around the turn and lost pressure? I"d filler up first, prime the pump key on / off about 5-10 times and see how she does. At least it's the easiest and cheapest potential solution (cheapest being a relative word given the price of gas)

Yah I thought it was the pump but I can definitely hear it prime and we keyed it over a few times to prime. Maybe the pump itself got clogged or I just got some water or bad gas in the tank?

If your pump is clogged, or other wise starving for fuel, it will squeal (loudly) when it's priming. The fuel lubricates these pumps, and you'll know it when the pump is running dry.

Next, I'd check the cannon plug. It may have come slightly loose after hitting a wave or something.

Edited by rts

Cool, thanks for the quick responses guys. I will check those out when I get home. I am planning on putting some fuel treatment in there and filling the tank up first. Then trying to fire it to see what's up.

I noticed mine right by the line into the gas tank. Its a small valve thats like a pet c*** valve.

What's up Pete how are things? I forgot to send you my vinyl wrap drawings but I will try and get those out to you this weekend.

Another issue with the "breakdown" was that when I fired the boat and it was running really rough (without much surging) when I gave it gas it would die immediately, leading me to believe it was more gas related even though there was a LARGE sucking sound through the intake that I was noticing.

Okay, thus far things look like it was just bone dry of gas, or really really low. I thought I had a lot more gas as my fuel gauge has never been too accurate. I put a 5 gallons of gas in that thing, keyed it on for a second, fired it up. It started running REALLY rough like it was, then smoothed right out. While I am not afraid to admit that sometimes I am the stupidest smart person you will ever meet, I am quite happy it was just bone dry on gas.

Pete, that valve is on mine right at the junction between the fuel pump and the gas line.

Okay, thus far things look like it was just bone dry of gas, or really really low. I thought I had a lot more gas as my fuel gauge has never been too accurate. I put a 5 gallons of gas in that thing, keyed it on for a second, fired it up. It started running REALLY rough like it was, then smoothed right out. While I am not afraid to admit that sometimes I am the stupidest smart person you will ever meet, I am quite happy it was just bone dry on gas.

Pete, that valve is on mine right at the junction between the fuel pump and the gas line.

glad to hear it was something as simple as that and I must admit you did the right thing by immediatly heading to your computer and posting your problem on the "crew" before, you know, actually putting some gas into the boat. :)

Matt,

I recently installed this Teleflex feul sender. It's an easy job but, you have to cut it down to make it work right. Now, my gas gauge does work but, the needle bounces around a lot because there isn't any dampening built into the gauge.

Just so you know, gas evaporates way faster than water. If you leave your boat sitting outside during storage that gas is evaporating very quickly. Unlike a car's fuel system, that boat's gas tank is wide open to the atmosphere because of the vent. Just keep that in mind.

Matt,

I recently installed this Teleflex feul sender. It's an easy job but, you have to cut it down to make it work right. Now, my gas gauge does work but, the needle bounces around a lot because there isn't any dampening built into the gauge.

Just so you know, gas evaporates way faster than water. If you leave your boat sitting outside during storage that gas is evaporating very quickly. Unlike a car's fuel system, that boat's gas tank is wide open to the atmosphere because of the vent. Just keep that in mind.

That's why we usually use up all the gas before ending the day Thumbup.gif we're always on empty coming home so I don't have to worry about evaporation :)

Glad it was something so simple!