Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surftech Softops

UteBu

My neighbor recently sold his Malibu and is now wanting to unload some gear. I have an interest in wakesurfing but know that with my boat (2005 21 XTi) I will have limitations in surf-able wake size.

This is the board he wants to sell me... Surftech Softops 6'-0"

STSurf001.jpg

STSurf006.jpg

STSurf005.jpg

Not sure what year it is; and I haven't been able to find any advertisements for used ones (price research). Neighbor claims he bought it new for $400 and that is about the price of the new retail now. What should I expect for used price? %50 less? Dontknow.gif The condition looks decent but it is definitely used, has a lot of cosmetic blemishes but nothing I see that would reduce it's performance.

I am going out tonight to test it out behind my boat so I'll let you know how that goes. I have no idea what to look for in researching a suitable board for my needs, and any advice you can give will be appreciated.

Thanks! Thumbup.gif

Softtops are well known in surfing (real waves). They are usually for beginners who tend to fall a lot (the soft top keeps them from getting banged up), or are inexperienced and launch the board out when they fall (potentially injuring someone with the projectile board). Surftech is a great company, who make alternative technology boards that are not the usual foam boards. Very strong and sturdy, yet light. As for the board pictured, I would consider it a beginners board. Alomst like a boogie/body board. Seems steep for $400.

I am selling mine for $400. compare:

post-5643-1213373098_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reply gj... I am a beginner so it may work well for me, at least for a while. The price was $400 new, the resale price will be much lower, just wanted to know what the typical markdown is in used surf gear.

Surething. A nice feature about that surftech board is that it shouldn't hurt your transom if it shoots out from under the rider, and it should be very resistant to getting beaten up or dinged in the boat or on racks with its constructed material. No matter what board you buy, you'll enjoy wakesurfing. Thumbup.gif

That surftech is going to be very slow. kind of like a 70s Cadillac. You will probably be able to surf it, but the rails are thick and round so it will probably drag a lot too. Make sure you try before you buy. If you are looking for a beginner board for cheap, go for a used broadcast.

gsmith - why are you selling the neptune?

That surftech is going to be very slow. kind of like a 70s Cadillac. You will probably be able to surf it, but the rails are thick and round so it will probably drag a lot too. Make sure you try before you buy. If you are looking for a beginner board for cheap, go for a used broadcast.

gsmith - why are you selling the neptune?

I'm selling the Neptune because it's pretty tough to get a wake worthy of surfing with my Echelon (...I still slalom a lot); and I surf Central Cali every other weekend. I prefer 6-10' waves, so wakesurfing doesn't quite do it for me. I love the board, but it will do another wakesurfer much more justice. If you know anyone interested in the board (great board), send 'em my way. Thanks.

Well I have tried the board and it's okay I can get ropeless and see myself improving each time. My buddy wants $275 for the board and I don't want to pay that much if this board isn't going to allow me to progress much. I have heard good things about the Hpyerlite Broadcast 5-6, but haven't tried one. Price-wise I think I could get the broadcast for less than $300 new but; will I be happy with it? I have a post in the WTB section for the Broadcast.

Thanks,