Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can't remove swim platform, pins won't come out

I just got my 08 VLX back from the dealer to cover my fix list. Malibu put the wrong color swim platform on my boat so when I was getting the punch list completed they put on another platform from another new boat. The problem is when I got home I could not remove the pins. I took a hammer to them and they barely budged. I did not want to swing away to hard in fear of chiping the gel coat. Any ideas on how to get the pins out? We did try shifting the platform but is does not move around like the original one did. Love the boat put this purchase had been real pain in the you now where!!!!

Thanks!

I just got my 08 VLX back from the dealer to cover my fix list. Malibu put the wrong color swim platform on my boat so when I was getting the punch list completed they put on another platform from another new boat. The problem is when I got home I could not remove the pins. I took a hammer to them and they barely budged. I did not want to swing away to hard in fear of chiping the gel coat. Any ideas on how to get the pins out? We did try shifting the platform but is does not move around like the original one did. Love the boat put this purchase had been real pain in the you now where!!!!

Thanks!

Just a suggestion - have someone stand behind the boat facing the swim platform and have them lift up on the platform while you pull the pins. Our pins were stiff when we first bought our boat and this is how we removed them.

Thanks!

Just a suggestion - have someone stand behind the boat facing the swim platform and have them lift up on the platform while you pull the pins. Our pins were stiff when we first bought our boat and this is how we removed them.

Thanks, I tried this and then tried having them sit on top of the platform - no luck. I hope they didnt' glue them in.

Call the dealer and ask them how hard they were to put in. If they had to beat them in, then you may have a problem. If they went in easy, they should come out the same way. If you can't jiggle the platform around at all, it sounds like they are really tight.

If they stole the platform from another boat it will never fit.

Each platform/bracket combo is pretty much unique to each boat, they put the brackets on then put on the platform and screw it all together.

-Chris

Thanks, that makes sense. I did get a hold of the dealer and the lead mechanic said after some use and bouncing around they will wear and will be easier over time. He suggested I use a punch to get the pins out in the mean time.

Thanks, that makes sense. I did get a hold of the dealer and the lead mechanic said after some use and bouncing around they will wear and will be easier over time. He suggested I use a punch to get the pins out in the mean time.

That would not be acceptable for me, some owners need to remove the platform for storage, etc. I honestly can't see the thing working it self loose over time, at least not anytime soon. Tell them to order the correct platform from the manufactorer, and when they get the right one in, they can use the punch Crazy.gif to remove the old platform and reinstall the new one properly.

How much did you pay for this boat? It's a big investment get what you paid for!!!

BFH, then maybe a punch.

BFH's are not allowed within 10 feet of my new Bu. There will be other options before I try that. Was to chicken to try to take it off this last weekend in fear I would not be able to get it back on. Will try again when I have to store it again. The dealer can have fun with it then.

try loosening some of the hardware on the platform a bit. Not sloppy loose, but loose enough that the brackets can shift a bit. find a point at which they are neutral relative to the boat side, and snug them back up. Worst case, opening up the holes in the platform brackets should give enough play to get the proper adjustment. I don't think I'd mess with anything on the boat side- make the adjustments to the most easily repaired/replaced piece.