Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Installing Depth Sounder

Our new puck mounted depth sounder is arriving Monday afternoon and Tuesday early AM we leave for Shasta. Any tips or advice for a smooth and quick installation? Seeing that I don't have much time if something isn't right I need to get it right the first time.

Thanks, Patrick

I assume you mean you are installing it inside the hull. Best bet is slow dry epoxy. The fast dry will get to hot and mess up the electronics. The other option is silicone. I have heard people had good results using silicone.

Our new puck mounted depth sounder is arriving Monday afternoon and Tuesday early AM we leave for Shasta. Any tips or advice for a smooth and quick installation? Seeing that I don't have much time if something isn't right I need to get it right the first time.

Thanks, Patrick

Thanks, Patrick

I'm sure you are already aware...but just in case:

If you are heading for Shasta, don't forget about potential inspections of vessels for the Zebra Mussel. Make sure you boat and sacs/tanks are bone dry and the hull is clean. Have fun while the lake still has water.

http://www.redding.com/news/2008/may/21/df...mussel-species/

I assume you mean you are installing it inside the hull. Best bet is slow dry epoxy. The fast dry will get to hot and mess up the electronics. The other option is silicone. I have heard people had good results using silicone.

Thanks, Patrick

The whole thing comes as a "kit" which includes slow dry epoxy so we should be good there.

Thanks, Patrick

If you are heading for Shasta, don't forget about potential inspections of vessels for the Zebra Mussel. Make sure you boat and sacs/tanks are bone dry and the hull is clean. Have fun while the lake still has water.

http://www.redding.com/news/2008/may/21/df...mussel-species/

I didn't realize they were testing that far north! The article said near redding, I wonder if they are just stopping vehicles south of Shasta?

Thanks, Patrick

The whole thing comes as a "kit" which includes slow dry epoxy so we should be good there.

Thanks, Patrick

<a href="http://www.redding.com/news/2008/may/21/df...mussel-species/" target="_blank">http://www.redding.com/news/2008/may/21/df...mussel-species/</a>

I didn't realize they were testing that far north! The article said near redding, I wonder if they are just stopping vehicles south of Shasta?

I honestly don't know...but I was just throwing it out there as a precaution. It would be a long 6 hour drive round trip just because of something like the mussels. Just make sure your trip doesn't get hosed for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I got it hooked up in time and it worked great. Because I was in a hurry and because I didn't know how, I wired the depth finder into an accessory switch which means I need to manually turn it on. I would like it to be ignition controlled so when I turn the key it also turns on. Where should I connect the wires (just a + and -) so it works this way?

My boat is an older Malibu but shouldn't be that different. Just tie in the positive from the DS to a positive (it's probably purple) wire from a nearby gauge (anything... oil, temp, etc). Then tie in the negative wire to the negative wire from that same nearby gauge-- or any other ground wire you can find.

If you're not into wiring, this means just cut and strip each wire, and use a twist connector to tie them together (or grab a solder gun and some shrink tube for a cleaner job). When you turn your key on, the DS should kick on with all of your other gauges.

Edited by rugger