Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wax leaving black and grey specs???

I'm useing 3M Restore and Wax and then Finese it II finisher. I started by applying with a pad and then an orbital buffer and after going over the surface with the buffer it started to leave black and grey specs all over. It almost looked like it was spitting out oil...the specs where dry and they came off with a soft t-shirt and some elbow grease. I wasn't in direct sun and the wax is only one year old and it doesn't look bad or dried by any stretch of the imagination. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Sorry for the ramble and awful grammer/spelling but I'm flippin pissed and headed for the showers.

Although I use Finesse It regularly, I'm not familiar with Restore and Wax. My guess based on the name though, is that it's designed to be a "one step" product, in which case you're using it incorrectly.

A product like Finesse It is used to remove minor surface imperfections, or for what's known as paint correction. After you get the point (gelcoat) to the right place, then you want to protect it, either with a traditional wax product, or with a synthetic sealant.

My guess is that the heat from the orbital and the Finesse It is breaking down the Restore and Wax product, which is producing the black and grey slough.

What does your pad look like? Is it black?

Although I use Finesse It regularly, I'm not familiar with Restore and Wax. My guess based on the name though, is that it's designed to be a "one step" product, in which case you're using it incorrectly.

A product like Finesse It is used to remove minor surface imperfections, or for what's known as paint correction. After you get the point (gelcoat) to the right place, then you want to protect it, either with a traditional wax product, or with a synthetic sealant.

My guess is that the heat from the orbital and the Finesse It is breaking down the Restore and Wax product, which is producing the black and grey slough.

What does your pad look like? Is it black?

The pad is white. The Restorer and Wax is designed for heavy oxidation and will remove minor scratches. I used it last year after some wet sanding and then the Finese it and it worked great. I don't have heavy oxidation but it works well for scratches...maybe I shouldn't use the restorer but look for a lighter wax and then the Finese it???

Is your pad still white though, or does it look dirty?

That Restorer and Wax product is not designed for someone that is willing to put in the time and effort with an orbital to get good results. Think of it as an all-in-one, as opposed to using the right product for the job.

If you don't have oxidation then Finesse It II should be abrasive enough to do all of the paint correction you need except for something that would require wet sanding.

Follow that up with a high quality wax (just wax, nothing else) to protect the finish and you'll be set. The Finesse It should not be applied over the top of a wax product, the heat built up in the application is going to burn through wax, and you also won't get very good results because the Finesse It will break down faster.

Is your pad still white though, or does it look dirty?

That Restorer and Wax product is not designed for someone that is willing to put in the time and effort with an orbital to get good results. Think of it as an all-in-one, as opposed to using the right product for the job.

If you don't have oxidation then Finesse It II should be abrasive enough to do all of the paint correction you need except for something that would require wet sanding.

Follow that up with a high quality wax (just wax, nothing else) to protect the finish and you'll be set. The Finesse It should not be applied over the top of a wax product, the heat built up in the application is going to burn through wax, and you also won't get very good results because the Finesse It will break down faster.

I was told by the guy at the store and I believe it said in some literature that that was the process??? If I understand you correctly, I should use the Finesse It II then a wax...I thought that the Finesse was the final step??? I feel like an idiot...maybe I need to wake up tomorrow and this will all make sense.

Yep, wax is the protective layer that goes on top of your paint (or gelcoat on a boat). If you've ever refinished hard wood floors, maybe this analog will help:

Finesse It (or any other abrasive) is like the sand paper on the floor sander. Wax is like the stain/varnish/sealant that you put down to protect the floors. You won't want to seal the wood and THEN run the sander over them, that would defeat the purpose.

You use the Finesse It to remove any minor imperfections in the gelcoat, and then seal the perfectly smooth surface with wax to prevent oxidation, water-spotting, etc.

Yep, wax is the protective layer that goes on top of your paint (or gelcoat on a boat). If you've ever refinished hard wood floors, maybe this analog will help:

Finesse It (or any other abrasive) is like the sand paper on the floor sander. Wax is like the stain/varnish/sealant that you put down to protect the floors. You won't want to seal the wood and THEN run the sander over them, that would defeat the purpose.

You use the Finesse It to remove any minor imperfections in the gelcoat, and then seal the perfectly smooth surface with wax to prevent oxidation, water-spotting, etc.

It took a bit skicrave but I think I'm gettin it!!! What "pure wax" should I use???

Choose your favorite brand, unless you want to become a wax snob, the brand isn't going to make a huge difference. Mother's Meguiars, either of them will be fine.

Choose your favorite brand, unless you want to become a wax snob, the brand isn't going to make a huge difference. Mother's Meguiars, either of them will be fine.

Not that I'm a snob, but Starbrite w/ teflon, is my recommendation... :)

Thanks for the help...can I also assume that I should use a MARINE wax and not car wax??? If I use 3M Finesse it II shoudl I stick with 3M for wax as well.

Actually it's fine to use car wax, you just don't want to use anything that has silicone in it. Since you've been happy with the Finesse It, there's no reason not to stick with the 3M product line.