Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help!! engine trouble

lewistonskier

This morning we took out our boat, and on the ramp it started once, but quit and wouldn't restart but turned over just fine. I checked the spark plugs when I got home and they looked as if they need to be replaced. Bought new ones, put them in, and boat started fine on the hose, everything appeared to be normal. Went back to the ramp this afternoon, and it started up just fine, but giving it any gas made it quit. I thought that maybe I had mixed up the cables to the spark plugs, and tried changing them around. A couple moves, and the boat still started, but same problem when giving it any gas. Moved cables around some more, and now it won't start, but still turns over really well, and sounds like it is about to catch. Is the problem that the cables are on the wrong spark plugs? How do I make sure that they are back to the right ones (I know the firing order just don't know how the match to cables to it)? Could there be something else wrong? Sorry for being long winded, just wanted to give as much detail as I could. Thanks.

This morning we took out our boat, and on the ramp it started once, but quit and wouldn't restart but turned over just fine. I checked the spark plugs when I got home and they looked as if they need to be replaced. Bought new ones, put them in, and boat started fine on the hose, everything appeared to be normal. Went back to the ramp this afternoon, and it started up just fine, but giving it any gas made it quit. I thought that maybe I had mixed up the cables to the spark plugs, and tried changing them around. A couple moves, and the boat still started, but same problem when giving it any gas. Moved cables around some more, and now it won't start, but still turns over really well, and sounds like it is about to catch. Is the problem that the cables are on the wrong spark plugs? How do I make sure that they are back to the right ones (I know the firing order just don't know how the match to cables to it)? Could there be something else wrong? Sorry for being long winded, just wanted to give as much detail as I could. Thanks.

Fuel pump / fuel filter going bad?

I thought the manifold had the numbers on it - maybe not - find a chiltons at the store & write it down, the book would show the cap order too.

I thought the manifold had the numbers on it - maybe not - find a chiltons at the store & write it down, the book would show the cap order too.

I know where the fuel filter is, but I have never changed one. How do I do it (do I need to shut off any valves, etc. to do it)? Where is the fuel pump? I have the ford if that is important for location.

Sounds like your boat is telling you that it's been awhile since it had a good tune up and it needs one now.

It probably not only needs a fuel filter but plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points? timing, engine oil ,trans oil, impeller, carb adjustment,s charging system check up.

Might be a good idea to look for a local reputable mechanic. It will be worth it next time you launch and enjoy a trouble free day at the lake.

Thanks, changed the fuel filter this morning and it started up and ran great. Suggesting chiltons help too for getting them back in the right order. Didn't look at the book but found stuff online using that as the key word.

Did you have a water seperating fuel filter or did you just change the filter at the carb?

When I posted, I had just changed the water seperating filter. I have since changed the one at the fuel pump as well. Is there one at/ in the carb? If so, where is it?