Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

good wax or polish?

When I pulled the cover off my '99 Response this summer the finish on the boat had a really cloudy finish. Does anyone know a good wax or polish to get it out? I've tried a couple of the typical off the shelf ones used for cars and they worked for a bit but after a little time in the sun it comes right back. I'd really hate to have to have it wet sanded.

Thanks in advance for the help

wetsanding isn't very hard and it works really, really well.

you can do it yourself for sure.

just take a pail of warm, soapy water (I used dawn or palmolive).

next take some 1500 wet/dry sand paper and start to rub the hull in a discret locations. you will be amazed at how the fiberglass fade just goes away. I completely wetsanded mine last spring and it has looked great ever since.

i found this site to be very helpful properboatcare

Wax or polish, which one do you want? :)

Those two are different products, and realistically, neither one of them is going to fix the current condition of your gelcoat on their own.

Before you jump right into wet sanding, you should try a more mild abrasive, like 3M's Finesse It II. It can be applied by hand or with machine, but will be much easier and more effective if you use a random orbital. If that doesn't remove the oxidation, then wet sanding is probably the next step.

Once you finish wet sanding then use a good polish to completely correct the finish, and then seal it with a quality wax to prevent further damage.