Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine RPM Gauge not working

My friend just bought a 1999 Sunsetter LXI with a monsoon motor and the rpm gauge does not work. Any suggestions on how to fix. I know there is that canon plug near the back of the motor that sends alot of the info to the dash but the other multi-guage is working with no problems. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

the simplist check is to unplug the plug from the back of the dash, and try another one (all the plugs are interchangable). if it works, then its the plug, if not, the guage is bad. There are always used one on ebay, as people replace it with PP gauges often.

I went through this back in 1999 or 2000. It ended up being the MDC, with the only problem being tach didn't work. I'm on my third MDC, with two failing in the first three years. If you are close to a dealer, see if they will let you try a tach out as a tach is MUCH cheaper than the MDC.

I went through this back in 1999 or 2000. It ended up being the MDC, with the only problem being tach didn't work. I'm on my third MDC, with two failing in the first three years. If you are close to a dealer, see if they will let you try a tach out as a tach is MUCH cheaper than the MDC.

Thanks for both of your suggestions. Does anyone know how to take the tach out of the dash easily?

The two screws on the Malibu emblem below the center gauge and the one black screw hidden above the gauge, then pull out the pannel.

-Chris

The two screws on the Malibu emblem below the center gauge and the one black screw hidden above the gauge, then pull out the pannel.

-Chris

Thanks for that I will try that in the next couple of days.