Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What to Do?

OK.

Heres the story:

My wife ran aground and shredded my 4 blade OJ prop. I wasnt in the nboat so I told her to run and if their is vibration then shut it down and idle in. Put the boat on the trailer. (No vibration when idling). Next outing boat started fine. When I put in reverse to come off the trailer it ran for approx 15 seconds and shut off. Kept trying to restart out of gear and something was locked up. When I was starting my batteries atrted to smoke. I fried two batteries trying to get it started. I pulled the starter and tried to turn the main pully and it is locked up. I replaced the batteries today and have a mechanic coming to the house with winch truck to pull the engine. Once the engine is pulled I should know what I am dealing with. I was told the transmission is hydraulic? Anyone know about this? Give me some opinions guys on what I need to look for when I get the motor out tonight.....

Thanks,

AF1

OK.

Heres the story:

My wife ran aground and shredded my 4 blade OJ prop. I wasnt in the nboat so I told her to run and if their is vibration then shut it down and idle in. Put the boat on the trailer. (No vibration when idling). Next outing boat started fine. When I put in reverse to come off the trailer it ran for approx 15 seconds and shut off. Kept trying to restart out of gear and something was locked up. When I was starting my batteries atrted to smoke. I fried two batteries trying to get it started. I pulled the starter and tried to turn the main pully and it is locked up. I replaced the batteries today and have a mechanic coming to the house with winch truck to pull the engine. Once the engine is pulled I should know what I am dealing with. I was told the transmission is hydraulic? Anyone know about this? Give me some opinions guys on what I need to look for when I get the motor out tonight.....

Thanks,

AF1

A new wife? Whistling.gif

Did you pull the sparkplugs and look for water in the cylinders? If you don't have exhaust flappers (and maybe even if you do), it is possible to force water back into the cylinders if the boat is run in reverse too fast.

Errr why are you pulling the motor?

Don't see why a qualified mechanic can not figure out what's wrong with the motor in the boat.

-Chris

Don't see why a qualified mechanic can not figure out what's wrong with the motor in the boat.

-Chris

Could be transmission? Thats why he's pulling motor...

OK.

Heres the story:

Thanks,

AF1

A new wife? Whistling.gif

Believe me.....crossed my mind.... Dontknow.gif

Did you pull the sparkplugs and look for water in the cylinders? If you don't have exhaust flappers (and maybe even if you do), it is possible to force water back into the cylinders if the boat is run in reverse too fast.

I have exhaust flappers and wasn't going fast coming off the trailer... Just normal unloading. I really think it has something to do with running aground!

AF1

So pull the transmission, you don't have to pull the motor to do that.

I don't think I've ever seen a locked up tranny, they usually just slip.

I would do like BlastRlxi said and pull the spark plugs, sounds like you hydrolocked it.

-Chris

Was also a great time to break Karen in on driving for a wakeboarder and surfer. She did a super great time for her first time ever pulling some one and now I have it all. She can back the truck down, drive the boat and Zack (12yr) is my flag guy. Clap.gifYahoo.gif

The only bad thing of the day was Karen could not get up wakeboarding or surfing, so I'm going to need a little of the crews help.

Awesome. I guess your knee was doing fine for wakeboarding?

-Chris

Plus1.gif I have seen the water go up the exhaust before. Pull plugs and see if it will turn over, make sure the trans is not locked up and the mechanic should be able to check most it with in a few hrs and not pulling the eng.

I think he is just wanting to slap in a bigger motor and can get it pass by the wife this way. Crazy.gif

Was also a great time to break Karen in on driving for a wakeboarder and surfer. She did a super great time for her first time ever pulling some one and now I have it all. She can back the truck down, drive the boat and Zack (12yr) is my flag guy. Clap.gifYahoo.gif

The only bad thing of the day was Karen could not get up wakeboarding or surfing, so I'm going to need a little of the crews help.

-Chris

Plus1.gif I have seen the water go up the exhaust before. Pull plugs and see if it will turn over, make sure the trans is not locked up and the mechanic should be able to check most it with in a few hrs and not pulling the eng.

I think he is just wanting to slap in a bigger motor and can get it pass by the wife this way. Crazy.gif

So let's do the responsible thing, help him get a new engine.... Whistling.gif

-Chris

That's something I would pull :)

Agree with pulling the plugs first, you can find out a lot doing that first!

Edited by 68Slalom

Seems strange that the motor would lock up with no other prior problems. I would deff do some diag work on all things before pulling the motor. You might be shocked to find that it is something simple! Thumbup.gif (lets hope)

Unless you want a new motor and blaming the wife is the only way to get it. Then I'd say ITS TRASHED!! Biggrin.gif

Good luck!

Edited by txwakejunkie

I totally agree pull the plugs and check for water.

On my old boat it rained hard one night and i had left my boat outside and the next day it would not turn over. Starter was grunting and smoking but nothing. I pulled plugs and water came rushing out then is started just fine. Come to find out the top cover of my carb had come loose allowing water to get into my engine.

hmm...Pull Motor = VERY LAST RESORT. and even then, unless there is some clear indication of major mechanical failure that is the last thing I would do.

Agree with all above..Pull the spark plugs and check for water.

In all my years I have never heard anything like a trainy locking up all because you jar the prop/shaft or strut by running aground or hitting a log. It would be new news to me. Then again, there's a lot I have never seen.

If his wife did enough damage to lock up the tranny the boat would have needed alot more than a new prop.

-Chris

not to mention that if there was that much damage, they would have needed a towboat or crane to get the boat out of the mud.