Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Stall

I have a 06 Response LXi, 340 Monsoon, 105 hrs. I have had a problem twice now. At an idle the boat will stall and will take few tries fo cranking it to get it fired again??? It will run normal after that, however CHECK ENGINE will appear in the display. All my fluids and pressure are normal. Does anyone know what may be happening??

It sounds like I have the same boat with the same issue. The boat will run fine for a while and then act like it stalls out, like its starving for fuel. When it dies, it will not restart. Wait and then it starts and runs fine for a while before doing the same routine again. Anyone have any suggestions?

I replaced the fuel filter. Still have the same problem. I can now say that after you let the boat sit for a few hours and cool down its starts immediately and runs fine. Its after 2 - 3 hours of running that it will go to a low idle, eventually shut down, and will not start back until it cools. Is there a heat sensor that keeps the fuel pump from running or keeps the plugs from firing? Dealer wants me to bring it in, but by the time I get it to act up, load it on the trailer and tow it to him, it cools down and starts.

Thanks

Gas with ethanol will cause those symptoms, especially if you let it sit after long hard runs for 15 to 30 mins. If fuel pump is in the tank try purging fuel rails. Turn key but don't let it turn over, you will hear the rails fill up, do it a couple of times then start it. Use a fuel stabilizer Stabil or Sea Foam. If fuel pump is on side of engine try cooling pump with wet rag and follow same procedure. Also helps to leave your engine cover up after hard run to let heat out. Down here in Fl. this time of year it is a constant issue with the temp and humidity. Blended fuels are such a pain.

We think we found the root of the problem: Vapor lock. The gas is fine but it gets really hot under the engine cover on the 100 degree days. To boot, our engine cover had been insulated and the vent was covered for the most part. After talking with the guys at Malibu, it makes sense that I am getting some vapor in the fuel pump after it sits for a while. This makes it run "rough" before stalling out and then will not start until the fuel cools and turns back to a liquid. The best solution is to keep the box vented. If it fails to start, take a wet cloth and put it around the fuel pump to cool it for a few minutes.

If you get a check engine light, then one of your sensors or final contol elements on your engine failed.