Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tommy Bartlett's Lake is GONE

UWSkier

http://www2.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=760060

If you've ever been to Wisconsin Dells or have heard of the famous Tommy Bartlett's water shows, you know of Lake Delton... or what was Lake Delton. The rain around here has been insane lately. Yesterday, my buddy saw kids running around the infield of a local baseball diamond catching carp with their hands. Several boats washed up on shore on a lake I frequent down here when people's hoists became maxed out and waters kept on rising. Several area lakes are under emergency no-wake restrictions. Cry.gif

Wow, what a drag. Amazing there was so much business, homes, & activity on such a tiny lake.

Welcome to the club. We haven't lost any lakes yet, but have way more water than we can use right now. Even our big lakes, 1000s of acre lakes, Coeur d'Alene & Pend O'reille, and the rivers they flow into are several feet high.

The entire country is in a funky state of either too much water or not enough.

Wow! That's some crazy stuff. Will they be able to repair the dam and restore the lake?

We've only made it out a couple of times so far this year due to all the high water. It looks as if this latest round will keep us shut down for at least the next couple of weeks....best case.

Cry.gif

That is amazing. Are they going to build another dam?

I'm sure they'll fill in the gap. It wasn't actually a dam burst, rather the water found a spot that was low enough to start spilling over and made its own path around the dam. The soil quickly eroded and the trickle turned into a torrent.

Wow, what a drag. Amazing there was so much business, homes, & activity on such a tiny lake.

There are a number of lakes in the area and a really large river. It's actually really beautiful country and it's close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, so it's quite heavily developed.

There are a number of lakes in the area and a really large river. It's actually really beautiful country and it's close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, so it's quite heavily developed.

Thats too bad. They really draw allot of tourists this time of the year. Hopefully the water parks & the other land attractions keep it going this summer.

WOW...thats un-flippin-believable. I couldn't hear what the people where saying because there is an issue with my work computer and sound but I did see that the woman who lost her house didn't have insurance??? I feel bad but no insurance!!!!! Unless for some reason she was denied due to some reason and I couldn't hear it I just don't understand why you wouldn't have insurance.

WOW...thats un-flippin-believable. I couldn't hear what the people where saying because there is an issue with my work computer and sound but I did see that the woman who lost her house didn't have insurance??? I feel bad but no insurance!!!!! Unless for some reason she was denied due to some reason and I couldn't hear it I just don't understand why you wouldn't have insurance.

She had insurance, but didn't have flood insurance. She was told by the insurance agent that the water level was controlled by the dam at both ends of the lake and she didn't need to worry about flood insurance... it would never happen.

I don't know if this was the case but many people in "flood plains" are denied flood insurance. She should have lit it on fire and taken a picture.

My house is literally 10 feet from the water's edge. When we bought the place, we assumed flood insurance would be required (by the bank; common sense; peace of mind, whatever). Well, none necessary because it is a controlled lake and, IIRC, not in a flood plain. We did get quoted for insurance, however. It was astronomical.

She had insurance, but didn't have flood insurance. She was told by the insurance agent that the water level was controlled by the dam at both ends of the lake and she didn't need to worry about flood insurance... it would never happen.

Hopefully the insurance agent has Errors and Omissions insurance for that gaffe.

Hopefully the insurance agent has Errors and Omissions insurance for that gaffe.

No doubt. I was thinking that seems like a ripe situation for a lawsuit if I ever saw one (whether it's right or wrong).

We did get quoted for insurance, however. It was astronomical.

"Astronomical" is almost an understatement. Insurance companies basically price flood insurance out of reach so there is no solution. We were quoted something like $32,000/yr rider for our homeowners policy if we wanted flood insurance.

Doesn't seem right. Bottom line is, if you live near water, you're running a risk, and you could loose everything.

the people on that lake couldn't even get the insurance if they wanted it. The township they live in refused to participate or pay dues to some agency which made it so that they couldn't even get flood insurance. Not that they couldn't afford it, they were denied it and were assured by the village thata nothing like this could ever happen because it "a controlled lake"