Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I used to have more patience....

I changed the oil and the impeller on the VLX today. The oil filter used to be a PITA- till I removed the hard tanks.

I had never done the impeller myself. And I know why... WHAT A PITA!!! Actually it was not THAT bad except I dropped a bolt and that added over an hour to the project...

For just a second, I wanted my DD back.. Then I woke up !

When I was 18 I did not mind wrenching on a car/ truck/ boat or whatever for HOURS!!! Wahappened to me ?????

Patrick

Edited by Faceplant409

All you v-drive guys are a bunch of whimps. I did my VLX impeller change in 15 minutes. You have to straddle the transmission/motor and go to work. 5/16" ratchet wrench for the bolts and two short flathead screwdrivers. You can even lay down on your plenum if you'd like.

-Chris

I lay a think quilt over the top of the eng and lay down. I will also put all the tools I'll be needing on the locker cover so that I don't have to get up. Also a extending magnet is nice for when you do drop a bolt.

I lay a think quilt over the top of the eng and lay down. I will also put all the tools I'll be needing on the locker cover so that I don't have to get up. Also a extending magnet is nice for when you do drop a bolt.

Is brass magnetic? I did not think so, or I would have used one... Dontknow.gif

As for the puller tool, getting the old one out was not the problem, getting the new one in and the splines lined up was the PITA. The old one came out easy enough with a pair of needle nosed vice grips.

P

Interesting. My new impeller installed easily. But getting it out...... not only could I not see the housing past the muffler, but there is only about 2" or 3" from the back of the housing to the transom. There wasn't even enough room for me to get a pair of pliers in there & pull.

Plus getting two hands in there was a pain. I had to do everything one handed.

So do the newer v-drives not have the removable panels along side the motor? I crawl in the port side rear compartment with that panel moved to do the job. Actually I just removed the whole pump. Three bolts hold it to the pulley, plus the bolt on the side, and two hose clamps. Then fight the impeller on the bench.

Edited by vette-ski

Yea, I wondered about doing it that way too, Vette. Mine has the side panels too. But that doesn't mean it's any easier for me to get my big butt down in that compartment.

I also pulled the assembly out to change the impeller. But that impeller tool looks interesting. Has anyone got first hand experience with it????

quote name='Beau' date='Jun 9 2008, 02:39 PM' post='248092']

I also pulled the assembly out to change the impeller. But that impeller tool looks interesting. Has anyone got first hand experience with it????

impeller puller is the only way to go for a v-drive. tighten the clamps against the rubber and turn it out. 5 minutes tops.

[