Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Diagnostic cables

Need input. I posted earlier about surging problems with my 99 VLX with Monsoon. My mechanic has tried cap, rotor, plug wires, TPS, and fuel filters to rectify the surging, poor idle and rough running engine at speed. Boat needs to have diagnostics run, but he doesn't have cables. Nearest 'Bu dealer is about an hour and a half and I don't particularly like the dealership. My mechanic has ordered the cables through another dealer, but hasn't gotten them yet (has been around 3-4 weeks), does anybody know of a source for the cable or another place to buy one other than Indmar? I haven't actually had a run in the boat yet and I am starting to get antsy.

Rinder tech makes the cables and alot of the diag software. But it depends on what your mechanic has for equiptment.

-Chris

My mechanic got the cables in today. He said he would be ready for my boat early next week. I am excited to get my boat working.

can you provide info on where your mechanic got the cable and diagnostics? I just bought the cable and software for my Yamaha four stroke, would love to have the same for the Monsoon.

He ordered them through Indmar. He has a friend who works at a dealership who works on Indmar engines. I have an email into this place http://www.obd2allinone.com/sc/toplevel.asp?cat=32

I haven't received a reply yet. I have also talked with a guy at Westers tuning and he said he could re flash the computer at some point for better fuel mapping, correct prop, ideal RPM's for my application, etc. The tuning is almost as much as this setup from obd2allinone.com and they provide some of the same services. So, I may pick up some cables/tuning software if they respond to my email and confirm the capabilities of their system. Post up here if you find anything else that could be of use.

wow, that is some expensive stuff. i spent $350 for the software and cable for my yamaha. granted, it doesn't actually allow mods, but it diagnosises (sp?) and tells you what needs to be done.

I will let you know if i find something

LINK

I've used both the scan tool and the computer software The scan tool is nice for grabbing codes, reading hours, and base timing mode.

The computer software is really nice for figuring out EFI issues.

-Chris

LINK

I've used both the scan tool and the computer software The scan tool is nice for grabbing codes, reading hours, and base timing mode.

-Chris

How much do you use this stuff? I'm a mechanic and unless I was going to be working on boats alot then I just couldn't see putting out that much $$. Granted it would be nice to check things out on friends boats from time to time but...........

So if I have the cable and interface box, what software would I need for my laptop?

not sure if i can justify it either, although any trips to the dealer cost me at least $100 in gas nowadays, plus the time, plus whatever it costs at the dealer.

for my Yamaha I justified just by the fact that I had to wait 3 weeks to get into the shop. for what they did, they would have charged me at least 300, so I bought the software/cable for $350, and everything is good...

I was thinking about purchasing them for a few reasons. For one, I have owned my boat for about 3 months and I haven't been able to enjoy it yet. It was at the shop about 3 weeks before he decided to send off for the cables (his had come up missing). It took Indmar about 3 weeks to ship some in. I was thinking about having Westers retune the computer at some point because he assured me that he could get me better fuel consumption and provide a better program over stock. I am leary of this because I think there are so many variables that go into fuel consumption on the water. Also, even if he does get me better fuel consumption, how long would it take for me to recoup my cost. So, I thought I might buy the cables to diagnose the problem and then do some tuning while I was at it. Now that my mechanic has gotten some cables in, I don't think I can justify it, and besides, I would have to find somebody to do the tuning for me even if I did have my own software.

here is what I bought

http://www.rinda.com/marine/mtspec.htm

it works great. troubleshoots, checks systems, recm engine hours, real time values, efi issues, changing ecm values all for 500+-

My dealer is 2 hours away so for me if it gets used 3-4 times with the price of fuel its paid for. AS well I have no toys that have ever gone in for service I do all my own work so it was a given at some point in time.

LINK

-Chris

How much do you use this stuff? I'm a mechanic and unless I was going to be working on boats alot then I just couldn't see putting out that much $$. Granted it would be nice to check things out on friends boats from time to time but...........

So if I have the cable and interface box, what software would I need for my laptop?

So how much does the Cen Cali Crew need to give (each) for you to purchase them ? Thumbup.gif