Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fresh Air Exhaust for power wedge Malibu owners

CoryH2O

I think that the idea is to force the exhaust into the prop wash. With the exhaust exiting to either side, it doesn't get "pushed away" from the boat in the same manner.

How would that help you if you were sitting at an idle which is a prime time for CO to come into the back seat and deck?

Some I/Os send exhaust thru the hub - same theory I guess

I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't. I suspect that they're just focusing on the fumes that accumulate while underway.

I see; seems to make sense. I'd try anything at this point. I'll check the website for prices. Thanks for the additional explaination.

Try buying a new boat!!!! Thumbup.gif

I see; seems to make sense. I'd try anything at this point. I'll check the website for prices. Thanks for the additional explaination.

Why have one, when you can have two at twice the price........ Crazy.gif

Why have one, when you can have two at twice the price........ Crazy.gif

I hear you there. I'm pretty happy droping $17K for my Echelon compared to 2-3X as much for a new (or newer) one. Besides, I still believe in slalom. Biggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Cory,

Did you have the standard exhaust tips or the turn down ones? I also have an 06 VLX w/power wedge and have been waiting for the FAE to become available. The HH is pretty smelly at no/slow speed.

• 3 weeks later...

new to the forum, new to Malibu

Are there any new developments on the FAE system for '08s

I have an 08 23XTI and plan to wakesurf (the gods and my body willing) and revert to slalom

for the occasional ego boost.

I don't want to suck down too many fumes and I don't want to mess with the slalom wake

I have the HH engine

I have an 08 23XTI and plan to wakesurf (the gods and my body willing) and revert to slalom

I don't want to suck down too many fumes and I don't want to mess with the slalom wake

I have the HH engine

Do you have a wedge? Power or manual? Personally, I've never really noticed the fumes to be an issue unless there's a strong tailwind.

I have the HH engine

Do you have a wedge? Power or manual? Personally, I've never really noticed the fumes to be an issue unless there's a strong tailwind.

+1. Fumes are not an issue on my boat unless I'm ON the swim platform.

I have the HH engine

You've also got CATs on your engine. I know they don't remove all the CO, but I've never noticed fumes on mine, even on the swimdeck. That way, I'll just fall over dead in the water without any fumes to make me nauseated first!

I do have a power wedge and didn't realize that the 'o8 HH have the EXT/Cat last year only the

smaller engine featured the CAT

I did find a picture of a FAE system built over and around the power wedge----whew what a sight!

It had more turns and bends than a belly dancer

I think I will hope the CAT is doing its job keeping me alive behind the boat (not that I will be upright too long

at the stern learning to wakesurf).

The cats make a big difference. I haven't been behind a boat with the HH/cat combo to compare with my HH/no-cat boat, but I have been behind a lot of Monsoons & the one Monsoon with the Cats is noticeably absent of any fumes....at all. It's pretty sweet IMO.

If you have a boat with a catalyst then you should be fine. I have the hammerhead with a 3 way catalyst and once the engine is warmed up, I don't smell any exhaust. Even though CO is odorless and colorless, the unburned fuel isn't so if the catalyst is working properly you won't smell the unburned fuel and can be assured that most of the CO has been converted to CO2. As a comparison, if someone tried to kill themselves by shutting their garage door and running their car, they would run out of fuel before enough CO built up in their garage to harm them. Suring in the open air with a boat with a catalyst should be pretty safe.

With proper exhaust flow 3 way catalyst will reduce about 95 - 98% of the CO (coverting it to CO2) and at the same time typically over 90% of of the unburned Hydro Carbons (HxCy) and NO and NO2 to H2O, and N2. All of these (C02, N2, and H2O) are prevolant in the air. Add to that the fact that the exhaust mixes with fresh air while traveling from the exhaust to the surfer and you have a very low concentration of CO, NO, NO2 or HxCy in the air that reaches you.

Although people smell the unburned hydrocarbons (HxCy), what people have to worry about is the CO. Excessive levels of CO is poisionous (but you can't see or smell it) and will cause you to get light headed and pass out and if one continues exposure to excessive levels of CO, it will kill you. Needless to say if you feel light headed then it is time to come in the boat and let someone else surf and if you pass out, lets hope that your friends don't tie you to the board to see if continued exposure to CO at the low levels behind the boat will kill you. If the wind is blowing in a direction that you smell fumes in the boat, try traveling a different direction for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
Cory,

Did you have the standard exhaust tips or the turn down ones? I also have an 06 VLX w/power wedge and have been waiting for the FAE to become available. The HH is pretty smelly at no/slow speed.

I had the standard rubber flaps. No more smelly fumes when boat is in gear. Plus, you can hear tower speakers and your friends cheering you on.

I Have the 2007 VLX with the HH

pretty dang smelly

especially when weighted down for surfing

Larry emailed me yesterday with a pic of this Malibu ready FAE

I am impressed with both Larry and the research and development that he has put into this thing

but

I keep waiting to hear the downside to it.....other than cost and appearance

does someone that has one with the power wedge have any negative to offer at all?

not asking someone to slam the product or the company, I just want to know exactly what it is that I might spend some change on

• 4 weeks later...
Don't the new Monsoons w/ the CATs cut way down on CO emissions?

I had the FAE on my 99 VLX - best thing I ever bought - reduced the noise and fumes. The boat was so quiet you could not hear it when wakeboarding. When wakesurfing you could carry on a regular conversation with people in the boat. Lots of non believers at the Malibu dealer but I loved it.

I just bought an 08 VLX with the Cats. There does not seem to be any fumes but I noticed that when we have the boat heavily weighted on one side that the opposite side exhaust is actually out of the water and can see the exhaust coming out. I have the turn down exhaust tips. The 08 seems quiet as is.

• 3 months later...
are there any environmental downsides to this system? Is it polluting the water?

Not any more than you already are.

It just redirects the exhaust into the prop wash and it surfaces behind the rider i guess you could say.