Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fresh Air Exhaust for power wedge Malibu owners

CoryH2O

Hello,

I wanted to let everyone know that there is a FAE system now available for Malibu power wedge owners. For those of you who are not familiar to FAE, It is a bolt on exhaust for your boat that will dramatically reduce carbon monoxide and engine noise for those in the boat and those riding behind the boat. I have been working with the owner of FAE for the past several months on developing this for my boat. This was a VERY important modification for me since we have a 2 year old that rides in our boat and we love wakesurfing. Slower speeds are very dangerous for carbon monoxide poisoning. My Malibu, 06 VLX, is the first boat to have this with a power wedge. The same design would probably work with manual wedge but it would have to attach to swim platform. This has been on my boat for 4+ months now with no problems and it works great. If there is any power loss, I don't really notice it and the fresh breathing air makes up the difference. As a bonus, you can hear your tower speakers much better. Please contact Larry at FAE for technical data or tech related questions. Here is the web site www.FreshAirExhaust.com

DSC01328.jpg

DSC00306.jpg

DSC00326.jpg

DSC00310.jpg

Edited by CoryH2O

I can see why it works with the power wedge but not manual. I figured they'd need some sort of additional support to hang the system that far out. That has to be quite a restriction with all those angular direction changes of the flow of spent gasses. Only thing I can think of that might help is maybe there's a venturi effect on the outlet that actually creates an exhaust vaccuum or at least decreases manifold pressure at speed??? Dontknow.gif

Holy Hoseclamps, Batman!!

There may be a lot of bends, but those are BIG pipes. Few V8 trucks have an exhaust with that much diameter, and those are single systems! Also, a boat has a much shorter exhaust than an automobile.

Even if it it reducing the flow capabilities, reduced exhaust flow might start to affect breathing only at top-end RPMs, but in the low to mid-range it won't make a difference. I'd be willing to hazard a guess that barefooters aren't FAE's target market.

Cool product!

Edited by EZSnow
Holy Hoseclamps, Batman!!

There may be a lot of bends, but those are BIG pipes. Few V8 trucks have an exhaust with that much diameter, and those are single systems! Also, a boat has a much shorter exhaust than an automobile.

Even if it it reducing the flow capabilities, reduced exhaust flow might start to affect breathing only at top-end RPMs, but in the low to mid-range it won't make a difference. I'd be willing to hazard a guess that barefooters aren't FAE's target market.

Cool product!

Or slalom skiers. I'd imagine that would create a bit of spray and/or affect the rooster tail at 22-28 off.

And not to be a downer here but couldn't you just order/install the turn down tips and have a couple extensions welded on?

-Chris

Don't the new Monsoons w/ the CATs cut way down on CO emissions?

I didn't have any scientific data but I can tell you behind mine w/ the cats I don't smell anything as compared to the non-cat engine in my previous boat.

And not to be a downer here but couldn't you just order/install the turn down tips and have a couple extensions welded on?

-Chris

Thats what I was thinking and would sure look better.

Maybe they tested it and it changed the wake or something

-Chris

I'd prefer extended turndowns over that big sucka! Perhaps it needs to be pretty deep to get the desired effect/outcome. Interesting product, but it looks like a bunch of 3/8" thick plumbers PVC pipe that is piecemealed to exhaust hose via 20 hose clamps (I'm sure it's not that simple, but I'd need to see it in person before buying). But I'm always interested in something, because without anything on my Echelon, it's sleepy-time after wakesurfing or staying on the platform for too long.

-Chris

I'd prefer extended turndowns over that big sucka! Perhaps it needs to be pretty deep to get the desired effect/outcome. Interesting product, but it looks like a bunch of 3/8" thick plumbers PVC pipe that is piecemealed to exhaust hose via 20 hose clamps (I'm sure it's not that simple, but I'd need to see it in person before buying). But I'm always interested in something, because without anything on my Echelon, it's sleepy-time after wakesurfing or staying on the platform for too long.

The key is bringing the exhaust to the center and in front of the prop. Turndowns won't do this. With FAE whenever boat is in gear, even at idle speed, the prop sends the exhaust bubbles far away from the boat. At wakesufing speed they end up way behind the rider. When you are idling down a canal or in no wake zones or at low speeds and in cetain instances even wakeboard speed (depending on wind direction), the exhaust gases are being sucked into the boat from the draft following the boat known as the station wagon effect. This effect is also eliminated by sending the exhaust far away from the boat. I know some of the 07's and newer have a CAT system which will eleminate a lot of the carbon, but there are other harmful fumes that will still be there. And for 06 and under owners you can not add the CAT system to your boat. The FAE is constructed of stainless steel. It can come powder coated like mine or polished. The noise is reduced by 50%. You can carry on conversations in boat without yelling and hear the rider better if need be. Please check out the web site to learn more and view a video of it in action.

Just out of curiosity, when the power wedge is in the full down position, does the foil sit below where the lowest point on the FAE is?

At first I thought the FAE would be lower, but I measured it in the up position using a level and it looks as if the wedge is lower by about 3''. I will put wedge down and double check it next time I take boat out.

Edited by CoryH2O

-Chris

The key is bringing the exhaust to the center and in front of the prop. Turndowns won't do this. With FAE whenever boat is in gear, even at idle speed, the prop sends the exhaust bubbles far away from the boat. At wakesufing speed they end up way behind the rider. When you are idling down a canal or in no wake zones or at low speeds and in cetain instances even wakeboard speed (depending on wind direction), the exhaust gases are being sucked into the boat from the draft following the boat known as the station wagon effect. This effect is also eliminated by sending the exhaust far away from the boat. I know some of the 07's and newer have a CAT system which will eleminate a lot of the carbon, but there are other harmful fumes that will still be there. And for 06 and under owners you can not add the CAT system to your boat. The FAE is constructed of stainless steel. It can come powder coated like mine or polished. The noise is reduced by 50%. You can carry on conversations in boat without yelling and hear the rider better if need be. Please check out the web site to learn more and view a video of it in action.

I see; seems to make sense. I'd try anything at this point. I'll check the website for prices. Thanks for the additional explaination.

I think that's the underlyning theory. If you watch the demo video on their site, you can see on the underwater camera that the propwash is pretty dramatic when you put the boat in gear

I think that the idea is to force the exhaust into the prop wash. With the exhaust exiting to either side, it doesn't get "pushed away" from the boat in the same manner.

I wonder? I suppose they have engineers on it and concluded this is the best way as it is not the easiest way.

My thought is that the prop wash is pretty airy and wouldn't the prop push the exhaust to the surface. On the surf side there would be a lot of water between the down tube and the surface of the lake. Too much back pressure maybe?

I know CO is odorless but it does not seem to be a problem in the new boat.

I think that the idea is to force the exhaust into the prop wash. With the exhaust exiting to either side, it doesn't get "pushed away" from the boat in the same manner.

I wonder? I suppose they have engineers on it and concluded this is the best way as it is not the easiest way.

My thought is that the prop wash is pretty airy and wouldn't the prop push the exhaust to the surface. On the surf side there would be a lot of water between the down tube and the surface of the lake. Too much back pressure maybe?

Probably because you have the new Cat system. It's supposed to be very effective at cleaning that up.

Probably because you have the new Cat system. It's supposed to be very effective at cleaning that up.

Yes.gif You've surfed behind a boat w/ the Cat's on it. Crazy.gif What's next we'll have tower exhaust pipes....

Yes.gif You've surfed behind a boat w/ the Cat's on it. Crazy.gif What's next we'll have tower exhaust pipes....

I hardly ever notice it when I'm the one surfing, but where I really notice it is in the cabin. And yes come to think of it, your boat was very very not-stinky in the cabin. Biggrin.gif

How would that help you if you were sitting at an idle which is a prime time for CO to come into the back seat and deck?

Some I/Os send exhaust thru the hub - same theory I guess