Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

water/fuel separator on 2007 VLX Moonsoon?

Bryan Schumacher

All,

Had a problem on the water today. Went skiing for 30 minutes or so until almost out of gas - boat ran fine. Went to the marina and filled up. Made it about 1/4 mile or so, and the boat sputtered, died, and would no longer start.

All I can figure out is there is water in the fuel, or bad fuel (we had huge amounts of rain over the past 2 weeks). Previous boats I have owned have had water/fuel separators. Does the 2007 VLX Monsoon 340 have one? If so I couldn't find it. Assuming it is water... any ideas on the best way to remove it from a full tank?

Thanks in advance!

Bryan

No fuel water seperator. If you have ethanol in your gas you're going to have to drain that tank as the ethanol likes to absorb the water.

I would go ahead and change/inspect the fuel filter.

-Chris

Sorry to hear she let you down. Mine stranded me 2 weeks ago but it turned out to be vapor locked. after an hour all was OK again. Have run $500 worth of fuel through it since and no problems. Hope your fix is as easy as mine was. Keep us informed on what you find.

Sorry to hear she let you down. Mine stranded me 2 weeks ago but it turned out to be vapor locked. after an hour all was OK again. Have run $500 worth of fuel through it since and no problems. Hope your fix is as easy as mine was. Keep us informed on what you find.

Ended up siphoning out some of the fuel at the bottom of the tank today, and the boat started and idled just like normal. It was definitely water in the tank, so hopefully this will solve the problem. I won't be able to take it out on the water for awhile, but ran great in the driveway.

By the way, is there a reason that there is NOT a water/fuel separator on the monsoon 340? Seems like a cheap fix for this type thing in the future.

Thanks for the help!

Bryan

Yup, the fuel water seperators create an air pocket at the top of the canister which tends to burn out fuel pumps. Also with the in tank pumps the entire fuel line is pressurized, so no place for one.

I would say time to avoid the marina gas.

-Chris

Edited by 99response