Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine dieing help

I have a 1996 Sunsetter with the Monson 320 EFI. After I get my boat up to temp it runs good until I shut it off for long periods like 2-3 hours. After it has been sitting for long periods the boat starts up and idles no problem. But as soon as I put it in gear it boggs down like a lack of fuel or too much fuel. Could it be vapor locking? Any help would be appreciated to give me some direction.

I plan on checking the distributer cap and wire for cracks, plugging the plugs to inspect, and maybe installing fuel pressure gage.

Hard to say. It sounds like a fuel starvation problem. Retarted timing would also cause that. You did not mention if this is intermittent or happens every time. Check the inside of that cap too.

Hard to say. It sounds like a fuel starvation problem. Retarted timing would also cause that. You did not mention if this is intermittent or happens every time. Check the inside of that cap too.

It has only happen twice. Most of the time I am not sitting, we are boarding. I pulled the plugs. They are black running rich. Also I pulled the distributer cap and it has been arcing. Very corroded. I will replace them. I also plan on changing the fuel filter as well. This might be some of my problems. I was thinking about installing a fuel pressure gage to monitor fuel pressure.

• 1 month later...

Well still having problem. I replaced temp sensor, theromstat, fuel filter after pump, distributer cap, rotor and fuel water separator.

Any thought on what it could be. After the boat has been sitting for about an hour it start up and idles (but rough) but once I give it gas it dies. Then I can't seem to get it started again. Fuel pump is making a high pitch wining noise. Sounds bad not sure. The thing is that once I get it going i don't have any problems.

Whining noise sounds like the fuel pump is shot or not getting fuel. Check the screen just before the fuel pump and try a pressure gauge after the fuel pump.

I have a 1996 Sunsetter with the Monson 320 EFI. After I get my boat up to temp it runs good until I shut it off for long periods like 2-3 hours. After it has been sitting for long periods the boat starts up and idles no problem. But as soon as I put it in gear it boggs down like a lack of fuel or too much fuel. Could it be vapor locking? Any help would be appreciated to give me some direction.

I plan on checking the distributer cap and wire for cracks, plugging the plugs to inspect, and maybe installing fuel pressure gage.

I think your Monsoon 320 EFI is very much like the 320 LCR of today. Does this happen at the start of the day, when the boat hasn't been used? Does it only happen after you have run it a while,then shut it down for more than 20-30 mins? Has it ever done it after you are idling back to downed rider,then accelerate to pull them out. If it has only occurred when you have sat around 20 mins. or so after running it hard and/or for a long time, your fuel pump is got vapor in it. It can only push liquid not vapor. I think your fuel pump is on the side of the engine block ( an aluminum cylinderical canister with the fuel line running up in the bottom of it.) If this canister is hot to the touch, the next time this problem occurs you'll have found the culprit. Best preventative solution is to use a fuel stabilizer(Stabil), use your blower especially when idling around after long or hard pulls and if you are going to drift more than 20mins. open the engine hatch to let out the heat. The solution to help once the problem occurs is to cool the fuel pump. Put a wet towel on it, pour cold water on it(not salt) avoid electrical, place a cold beverage against it or hold ice to it. Once it cools down you should be good to go. This has worked for me everytime. The manual talks about purging the vapor by turning your ignitiion key on 2 0r 3 times without starting the engine. You should hear your fuel pump come on. Once it finishes it's cycle repeat the process the 2 or 3 times, then try and start the engine. This has worked sometimes for me, but you also run the risk of flooding it. If this problem is occurring and the fuel pump is not hot, then the others are probably right your fuel pump is blocked or going bad.

It only happens after the boat sits for about 30 minutes or so once its up to temp. It runs good when I first start it up. I took the fuel pump apart and found the intake small screen clogged. I took it out and cleaned it and put it back together. I will run the fake a lake and let the boat sit for an hour and start it back up.

It only happens after the boat sits for about 30 minutes or so once its up to temp. It runs good when I first start it up. I took the fuel pump apart and found the intake small screen clogged. I took it out and cleaned it and put it back together. I will run the fake a lake and let the boat sit for an hour and start it back up.
Don't know if that will recreate what my problem was.(vapors) Just use it and next time it happens, if it does, then feel the fuel pump. Mine was so hot you couldn't touch it. Cooled it down, good to go. Cleaning the pump screen should also help, especially under heavy load. I haven't had the problem since using Stabil and blower all the time (Keeping pump from heating up).
I have a 00 malibu sportster with a 5.7 L indmar, it will idle for 10 min or so and die. Not sure if its fuel or what it is.
Carby or EFI. Carby might need the idle mixture adjustment needles adjusted or carb rebuild kit. Also, make sure your choke is working properly assuming your boat is a carby. I assumed you did the obvious ,change fuel filter, check dist. cap .rotor.plugs and wire,cannon plug,safety lanyard,timing and most of your basic troubleshooting.