Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to get up on slalom

BARTMAN

I gotta disagree with the comments about getting up with one foot out. I never found that easier and in fact noticed that whenever I was successful with my early starts my back foot was somehow ending up in the pocket before I got out of the hole. So finally I just accepted that I was meant to start with both feet in and got on with life.

My youngest boy learned to ski on two skis, never really liked it and went on to become a pretty good wakeboarder. One summer he said "that skiing doesn't look so hard". At the time I was skiing on a Magnum with double Wyleys so he pulled them on, took two pulls and got up. He skied for a while, went back to the wakeboard and hasn't skied again.

I agree somewhat. Dragging one foot gives you a little more balance control. When both feet are in bindings you are at the mercy of the ski and the driver. I learned on a Slalom Ski when I was 12. I first learned to kick off and gain balance, then it was time for deep starts. I only learned getting up with double bindings in the last few years, and my personal comparison is such that one foot dragging is easier. ALTHOUGH...sometime, it can be hard to find that back binding, but even in those case, simply place your foot on top of the back binding until you are stable. I believe that my experience with dragging a foot actually helped me when trying to get up with dbl. bindings. in that my advice before about rolling forward and letting the boat do the work. The more you fight and drag the worse it is and no one ever makes that...just swallow a lot of water

I gotta disagree with the comments about getting up with one foot out. I never found that easier and in fact noticed that whenever I was successful with my early starts my back foot was somehow ending up in the pocket before I got out of the hole. So finally I just accepted that I was meant to start with both feet in and got on with life.

My youngest boy learned to ski on two skis, never really liked it and went on to become a pretty good wakeboarder. One summer he said "that skiing doesn't look so hard". At the time I was skiing on a Magnum with double Wyleys so he pulled them on, took two pulls and got up. He skied for a while, went back to the wakeboard and hasn't skied again.

I agree somewhat. Dragging one foot gives you a little more balance control. When both feet are in bindings you are at the mercy of the ski and the driver. I learned on a Slalom Ski when I was 12. I first learned to kick off and gain balance, then it was time for deep starts. I only learned getting up with double bindings in the last few years, and my personal comparison is such that one foot dragging is easier. ALTHOUGH...sometime, it can be hard to find that back binding, but even in those case, simply place your foot on top of the back binding until you are stable. I believe that my experience with dragging a foot actually helped me when trying to get up with dbl. bindings. in that my advice before about rolling forward and letting the boat do the work. The more you fight and drag the worse it is and no one ever makes that...just swallow a lot of water

Well, as long as we are talking about one foot out and no rear heal, lets bring up the 'ol beach start and dock start! Since skiing with a rear boot the occasion doesn't come up much, but, if you can get the timing right and don't have a rear boot, I think a beach start in shallow water is certainly easier on your body than a deep water. Rockon.gif (maybe just not for begginers though)

Ok, I need to jump in. Areamike, Weren't you the one who said that a boom only helps a little? :) I found a boom to be invaluable in teaching anyone how to get up on skis (1 or 2). Start on the boom, then go to a short line off the boom. 100x better than trying to drop a ski which does not help the skier learn to water start, unlike a boom.

Re: dragging one foot....the primary reason this helps is it forces the skier to put the weight on the front foot instead of putting all of the weight on the back foot, which is the typical reaction to some one new to slalom. If you can get your student to put the weight forward on the start with his/her back foot in, there's no reason to drag a foot. But, if the skier is stomping on the back foot and you have a rear toe loop, have him/her try it with it out. For kids, I found most of them do better with the foot in...YMMV

I also have to strongly disagree with the rear toe plate comment about it being easier to get up.

I get up first pull every time with a double boot. I still can't get up on one ski with a rear toe plate, whether my foot is in or out... (OK, I probably can, but it's a LOT harder for me).

My daughter was the same way. She was so worried about her back foot she couldn't get up on one ski. Once that back foot was locked into place with the boot, she was golden. My son could probably get up on a sheet of plywood without any bindings, so he doesn't count. ;)

I'll chime in on the one foot issue because nobody has defined "easier." If the issue is strength-to-weight ratio easier, with one foot out and to the side you can create much more lift and it is "easier" to get out of the water, ie., it takes less strength. But if balance and stability is the issue, a case can be made for leaving the foot in (although I still think its easier to learn with one foot out).

I'll chime in on the one foot issue because nobody has defined "easier." If the issue is strength-to-weight ratio easier, with one foot out and to the side you can create much more lift and it is "easier" to get out of the water, ie., it takes less strength. But if balance and stability is the issue, a case can be made for leaving the foot in (although I still think its easier to learn with one foot out).

I've helped dozens of people learn to get up on a slalom ski. I can only remember 1 person that could get up with both feet in vs dragging one. I continue to let them try both ways, but have found that dragging a leg (not just a foot) is generally the easiest.

Some people first learn with rear foot in, some dragging. About 50/50 is my impression.

Neither is easier, just one style suits some people more than the other and once one style is learnt it's rare people change. Unless they are a dragger and then go to double boot and have to change.

I agree with the "kicking a ski off tecnique". I've tought several people how to slalom ski. Most have seen me ski first and said "hmm, that looks like fun, let me try". My theory is, even if they master the deep water start, if they are not used to the balance of being on one ski, they will generally fall even after they are on the surface of the water. That said, I'll have newbies kick a ski off first, fall several times, all the while getting used to what it feels like to be on one ski. Once they master that, then we'll move to deep water starts.

IMHO

I just get pumped when someone wants to learn to slalom ski

Clap.gif

Well, as long as we are talking about one foot out and no rear heal, lets bring up the 'ol beach start and dock start! Since skiing with a rear boot the occasion doesn't come up much, but, if you can get the timing right and don't have a rear boot, I think a beach start in shallow water is certainly easier on your body than a deep water. Rockon.gif (maybe just not for begginers though)

I grew up doing beach starts and agree that once you learn them they are easier on your body and excellent when the water is cold. I still use a RTP but haven't done a beach start in a few years. I may have to show my kids how they work this summer.