Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'Sloppy' Tower

I've searched for threads on this issue, but did not have any luck. So I'm turning to the crew for some opinions and advice... My Illusion X tower seems to have a lot of 'slop' in it. When looking at the joint of the base to the tower, the hinge bolt side is tight, that is, there is very little space between the tower and the base - can barely get a playing card in it. But the back side of the joint towards the aft has a gap of 3/8". So, when underway, there tower bounces a lot. With the pins in place, the play in the tower at top front is over 1". I know that does not sound like much, but when loaded with 3 wakeboards, 1 surf board, 4 speakers, 8 lights and a Samson mirror you can physically see it move and, believe me, you can definitely hear and feel it when it hits!

I wondered if this was normal, so while out this weekend I looked at the towers on several 'bus on the water. It seems that the joint on those I looked had pretty consistent gaps from front to back, and the guy I talked to said his did not move like ours.

Is something wrong with our tower? I am concerned that with this much movement and pressure something may crack or break. The rear set-screws are adjusted properly, and the hinges seem to be tight.

Thanks for your help!

Hey

I am sure some others will chime in but I do not have hardly any sway or movement in my illusion tower...it is very solid. I am not close to the boat so can't check on the gaps for you. Doesn't sound right though and I am sure your dealer will take care of you.

I've searched for threads on this issue, but did not have any luck. So I'm turning to the crew for some opinions and advice... My Illusion X tower seems to have a lot of 'slop' in it. When looking at the joint of the base to the tower, the hinge bolt side is tight, that is, there is very little space between the tower and the base - can barely get a playing card in it. But the back side of the joint towards the aft has a gap of 3/8". So, when underway, there tower bounces a lot. With the pins in place, the play in the tower at top front is over 1". I know that does not sound like much, but when loaded with 3 wakeboards, 1 surf board, 4 speakers, 8 lights and a Samson mirror you can physically see it move and, believe me, you can definitely hear and feel it when it hits!

I wondered if this was normal, so while out this weekend I looked at the towers on several 'bus on the water. It seems that the joint on those I looked had pretty consistent gaps from front to back, and the guy I talked to said his did not move like ours.

Is something wrong with our tower? I am concerned that with this much movement and pressure something may crack or break. The rear set-screws are adjusted properly, and the hinges seem to be tight.

Thanks for your help!

It shouldn't be like that, take it back to the dealer and have them fix it or use it like that for this summer and take it in after the season is over, if you don't want to miss any time on the water Thumbup.gifThumbup.gif

Contact your dealer, there are some bushings that are put in place to remove this gap. Pretty simple fix when they get the parts.

Thanks for your help!

I had the same problem on my '07. The bushings mentioned are the fix. They have had problems with this, but hte dealer will fix you up.

• 1 year later...

I have noticed that my Illusion tower has a little play. By that I mean, the rear part of the tower that is supposed to sit flush to the tower base can go up and down about 1/8th of an inch. I have read some on this site about bushings fixing similar issues, but most of what I read indicated these fixes were for 2007s. It also seemed that the bushings addressed a more significant amount of play than 1/8th inch. I realize 1/8th inch is small, but I am curious if the 1/8th inch is normal, or should I be worried about pulling riders with this amount play. Thanks in advance

Yes it's normal..... for both the Illusion & the Monster. And yes, it's not right. Both situations can be fixed. Unfortunately in both cases it is a problem that was likely keep coming up from time to time. The Illusion has sacrificial bushings in that will wear & need to be replaced occasionally.

And the Monster is built with a lot of joints in it so that it can be packed up under the cover or shipped easily. Owners have to keep these joints tight, something that needs to be done pretty frequently or the entire tower can fail. Some of these joints can be welded in place so that the fix is more permanent. Just need to find yourself a good tig welder.