Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

transmission clunk - sounds bad

ok si i have a 2004 lsv 21....with the monsoon 340. was out on it last night and when its in gear at idle speed i get a clunk sound coming from the v drive box. as soon as i accelerate it goes away. but at idle it just keepclunking sparatically. any ideas??? it almost as if its engaging and disengaging???

Edited by galbraitro
Possibly try changing the fluid. But I definitely wouldn't be driving w/ any sort of "clunking" sound.

Yeah, I would check the oil right away and stop using it until you find out what the noise is. You could end up doing more damage, does it make the same noise in reverse?

Edited by 68Slalom

havent noticed in reverse but will do some trouble shooting this afternoon.

Possibly try changing the fluid. But I definitely wouldn't be driving w/ any sort of "clunking" sound.

Yeah, I would check the oil right away and stop using it until you find out what the noise is. You could end up doing more damage, does it make the same noise in reverse?

• 1 month later...

I HAVE A MALIBU VRIDE WITH THE VDRIVE TRANNY AND I NEVER NOTICED IT MAKE THAT SOUND OUT ON THE WATER AND WAS OUT BOARDING LAST NIGHT WITH NO PROBLEMS BUT TODAY I PUT IT IN GEAR WHILE RUNNING ON THE TRAILER (I HAVE THE WATER COOLED SHAFT SETUP) AND NOTICED IT MADE THE SAME CLUNKING SOUND BUT IT WENT AWAY AT A FAST IDLE. YOU CAN BARELY HERE IT WITH THE SEAT OVER THE TRANNY AND WITH A LITTLE FAST IDLE YOU CANT HERE IT AT ALL. I AM HOPING IT IS SOMETHING THEY ALL DO. I AM HOPING IT IS JUST A CHATTER BECAUSE THERE IS NO LOAD ON PROP. DOESNT DO IT IN NEUTRAL. I JUST HAPPENED TO NOTICE TODAY BECAUSE I DECIEDED TO RUN FWD AND REV BEFORE CHECKING TRANNY FLUID WHICH WAS AT PROPER LEVEL AND CLEAN.

IF ANYONE HAS EXPERIENCE WITH THIS OR TALKED TO THERE DEALER ALREADY PLEASE POST

You shouldn't run the boat in gear out of the water even if you have the water cooled shaft seal. The real concern when running out of the water is the strut bearing.

Edited by 99response
You shouldn't run the boat in gear out of the water even if you have the water cooled shaft seal. The real concern when running out of the water is the strut bearing.

I KNEW THAT WOULD BE WHAT EVERYONE WOULD SAY. IF YOU LOOK AT THE BOAT WHEN IT IS ON THE TRAILER RUNNING THE HALF INCH HOSE THAT SUPPLIES WATER TO THE DRIPLESS PACKING RUNS THE EXCESS WATER RIGHT DOWN THE PROP SHAFT AND LUBRICATES THE STRUT BEARING. BOTH STAY WET WITH RUNNING WATER WHILE THE HOSE IS ON AND ENGINE IS RUNNING. IF YOU HAD THE REGULAR PACKING BOTH WOULD BE DRY AND BURNING/MELTING.

MY STRUT BEARING IS FINE AS OF NOW. THE TRANNY HAS PROPER OIL LEVEL, GRADE AND THE OIL LOOKS LIKE NEW. THE BOAT HAS A HUNDRED OURS. MY HOPE WAS THAT SOMEONE WOULD CONFIRM MY SUSPICION THAT THIS CLUNKING SOUND ONLY WAS NOTICED BECAUSE THERE WAS NO LOAD ON PROP AND IT IS THE RESULT OF CHATTER. I BELIEVE THAT IF THERE WAS A MECH PROBLEM IT WOULD HAVE BEEN LOUDER/DEEPER UNDER LOAD WITH BALLAST AND ALL. WEREAS I NEVER NOTICED THIS TILL RUNNING ON THE TRAILER. WE WERE OUT LAST NIGHT WITHOUT INCICENT PRIOR TO RUNNING ON THE TRAILER AND IT WAS OPERATING SMOOTH AND GAVE NO HINT OF ISSUE.

CAN ANYONE ADD INPUT ON THE CLUNKING ISSUE?

check your drive shaft bolts

Plus1.gif I'm surprised that wasn't recommended already.

dennisvride - Please turn off your caps lock.

I have the 04VLX and coming from neutral to drive at 400 RPM there is a slight "clunk" as it comes into gear... where might I check the "drive shat bolts" -- anyone have a photo?

As always - thanks!

+1 for check the fluid and then the bolts. We had a noise like that all of a sudden one day about a month ago on our '06 VLX. Called the dealer, talked to the mechanic, he walked us through it and turned out one of the set screws had backed out. He said they see it a lot probably due to some harmonics things. Advised using blue locktight on it and putting it back. Not sure why they don't if it's a known problem straight from the factory, but it was an easy fix. It was an allen wrench, figures as that's one thing I don't tend to carry in the boat, but as it turns out, my Titan III tower came with the exact one needed. Easy fix, pain to get at but not horrible. 5 min later we were back up and running.