Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat gets hot

I have never had an overheating problem with my boat. It is a 1999 Sunsetter LXi. Yesterday I went to an area with a lot of weeds. After that I noticed my temp was at 240. When I idled down the temp went to 160, then when the RPM's went up the temp also shot back up. Could I have sucked up some weeds? If so what do I do to clean it out. Also, what type of thermostat do I need to buy, I figured I might as well replace it.

I have never had an overheating problem with my boat. It is a 1999 Sunsetter LXi. Yesterday I went to an area with a lot of weeds. After that I noticed my temp was at 240. When I idled down the temp went to 160, then when the RPM's went up the temp also shot back up. Could I have sucked up some weeds? If so what do I do to clean it out. Also, what type of thermostat do I need to buy, I figured I might as well replace it.

You probably have some weeds in the tranny cooler. Follow the hose out of the raw water pump to a large black cylinder with 2 hydraulic hoses in it. Pull the raw water hose off and pull the weeds out of the cooler.

If you are going to be in weedy areas a lot you can get a sea strainer from SkiDim.com

You could have picked up weeds. Check the 2 hosesfrom thru-hull to the trans cooler & the impeller housing. The cooling tubes in the filter work like a strainer & collect most things that make it through the impeller.

The thermostat should be a 160 degree T-stat. Just be ready to spend a little time scraping & cleaning the old gaskets off the mating surfaces (took me 2 hours). Also be ready to look for new bolts, mine were REALLY corroded... You should look for a marine t-stat as they flow more than an auto one. The t-stat & gaskets were $16 at my local dealer.

Well I checked the tranny cooler screen. I found a weed of two but nothing significant. I checked the impeller, it looks good. I checked the thermostat and it looks like it is the original one. It was really corroded, so even if it is working it is getting replaced.