Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat cuts out

2001 Response Lx 535 hours: Boat has been running fine, but today after taking a pass the boat driver cut me to shorten the rope and as he was swinging out the boat just died. He waited 20 seconds then restarted the boat; boat went fine as he pulled me out of the water but then just has I was cutting into the course the boat died again. It restarted no problem and we just putted home.

Fuel filter was replaced this year, caps and rotors were replace this year; what do you think is causing this?

This is very strange; Any Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Reggie

First thing I'd check is the wire connections on the kill switch. Yes.gif Then check the wire connections on the ignition switch. I'd bet on a loose wire, just gotta find it. Good luck.

:)

2001 Response Lx 535 hours: Boat has been running fine, but today after taking a pass the boat driver cut me to shorten the rope and as he was swinging out the boat just died. He waited 20 seconds then restarted the boat; boat went fine as he pulled me out of the water but then just has I was cutting into the course the boat died again. It restarted no problem and we just putted home.

Fuel filter was replaced this year, caps and rotors were replace this year; what do you think is causing this?

This is very strange; Any Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Reggie

There are 2 electronic plug in relays that run the fuel pumps , these were intermittently working on my pcm. I was experiencing the exact same thing. I replaced them and no more problem. You can get automotive relays that plug right in at 1/4 of the cost from the local parts store .

I am a real novice when it comes to the engine; can you explain where I would fine these relays on the pump( I know where the pump is located)?

I still find it strange why it will just die, then moments later fire back up?

Thanks again,

Reggie

I am a real novice when it comes to the engine; can you explain where I would fine these relays on the pump( I know where the pump is located)?

Thanks again,

Reggie

You need to be able to tell the difference between it cutting out or starving for fuel. If it's cutting out it's definitely electrical, if it's starving or getting to much gas it will bog or stumble. Have you been able to see if your tachometer goes to 0 when it dies?

Thanks again,

Reggie

You need to be able to tell the difference between it cutting out or starving for fuel. If it's cutting out it's definitely electrical, if it's starving or getting to much gas it will bog or stumble. Have you been able to see if your tachometer goes to 0 when it dies?

The engine just stops; no stumble or bog. So if this is electrical, what are my options to trouble shot. Again, find it very strange that it starts up again not problem.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

If I have it correct the fuel relay on my boat is on the back side of a metal plate, with two other identical looking relays.

Is this a common problem for relays to go bad? Once you unplug the relay, is it suppose to pop out of the small black casing it sits in?

Again your help is greatly appreciated; the closest dealer is a 12 hour drive! Ouch!

Reggie

If it's just cutting out instantly...no stumble, just running then not...that's electrical. Because of the intermitent nature that you are describing it really sounds like a loose connection. Did you ever check the connections at the kill switch, ignition switch,... Could even be a loose connection at the battery. That's the tough part about electrical issues, they're sometimes hard to find...but fortunately they are usually fairly easy to fix.

Good luck. :)

I have checked all the contacts; kill switch, ignition, battery. The boat is at skiing speed 34mph and then justs dies, no starving for fuel, nothing.

I would agree electrical is the cause; your right very hard to determine what is the cause:(

Thanks again!

Reggie

I have checked all the contacts; kill switch, ignition, battery. The boat is at skiing speed 34mph and then justs dies, no starving for fuel, nothing.

The kill switch itself could be the problem, they have been known to go bad. Try by-passing the kill switch and see if it still happens. Finding electrical problems using the process of elinimation is a PITA.

Good luck.

Here is the update; I checked all the above mentioned options, ordered a new fuel relay switch and replace that tonight; dropped the boat in the water and skied a few sets and there was no problem. IE. no cutting out, so if this continues it seems like the fuel relay switch was the villian or maybe when I went over all the other options maybe I tightened the loose connection. :) Any how I REALLY appreciate all the suggestions; again the value of my membership has more than paid for itself! YOU ALL ROCK!

Cheers

Reggie