Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boards in Racks when towing trailer

Air Force 1

We always load them into the racks at the ramp.

A board flying through someone's windshield is going to require too big of a payout. The thought of the fact that I injured someone due to lack of using my brain is not something I want to caarry with me the rest of my life.

No... not worth it! I've seen racks come loose on the water, and I could only imagine them getting loose while driving at 65 down the highway. There is extra weight on those racks with the boards in them and that is extra stress on the road. What if your board did fall off? You could endanger some ones life driving behind you if they came off. I paid over $700 for my set up, I would hate see what the road would do it to at 65 mph.

Keep em on the floor of the boat while trailering, it only takes a few seconds to put them up when you get to the water…

I actually saw a board come out of a rack of someone's boat on the highway at 65+. Luckily the cars behind it were able to dodge, but it looked like it destroyed the board. It looked like the bungy snapped & the board sailed out. All in all, it was the best case of what could happen if a board comes out & definitely not worth the risk IMO. And before anyone says it, just because you've never had any problems doesn't mean that you won't. It only takes once.

I have two Comptech SkySki swivel racks on the Vride now. The boat is close to two feet wider with the racks in place than without. So I have extra locks in place so I swing them into the boat & lock them in place while we're on the road. Otherwise I think I'd hit too many things driving around.

I always load mine at the boat ramp too. I was behind a car with 2 surf boards strapped to the top a few years back and a gust of wind grabbed em and well..... you know th story... No surfing without repair. Good thing I was a ways behind him

AF1

:werule:

We only drive a mile and don't go more then 30mph so we often tow with them in the racks to the river. I would NEVER tow with them in the racks if I were going anywhere else or at any faster speeds.

Then you still look like one of those wallies driving down the road with wakeboards in the racks.

Plus1.gif

The only time my boards are on the rack while towing is from the launch to park and wipe down the boat, then they come off!!

It's pretty common around here really, but to each their own. No reason not to throw them on while in the drive way as it is just one more thing to deal with when we get to the ramp...kinda like those transom tie downs Whistling.gif

It's pretty common around here really, but to each their own. No reason not to throw them on while in the drive way as it is just one more thing to deal with when we get to the ramp...kinda like those transom tie downs Whistling.gif

You're right maybe if you leave the boards in the racks when someone slams on their brakes infront of you the boards will supply enough lift to launch the boat over the tow vehicle since you don't have tie down straps Whistling.gif .

Leaving boards in the racks is stupid and careless, doesn't matter if it's a couple miles or not. If you're driving on private property, or a private resort or something that's different.

I agree that it isn't a good idea to tow with the boards in the rack....but jetskipro's specific situation is okay if you ask me.

It is about 1 mile down a straight road with 1 stop. 30 MPH max.

I actually saw a board come out of a rack of someone's boat on the highway at 65+. Luckily the cars behind it were able to dodge, but it looked like it destroyed the board. It looked like the bungy snapped & the board sailed out. All in all, it was the best case of what could happen if a board comes out & definitely not worth the risk IMO. And before anyone says it, just because you've never had any problems doesn't mean that you won't. It only takes once.

WOW!!! Crazy.gif

"And before anyone says it, just because you've never had any problems doesn't mean that you won't. It only takes once."

DITTO!

You're right maybe if you leave the boards in the racks when someone slams on their brakes infront of you the boards will supply enough lift to launch the boat over the tow vehicle since you don't have tie down straps Whistling.gif .

Leaving boards in the racks is stupid and careless, doesn't matter if it's a couple miles or not. If you're driving on private property, or a private resort or something that's different.

Stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel... :)

I pull my boat way too far to leave them inthe racks.. I am not sure how I would feel if I lived a few blocks from my riding spot.. I find some boards fit differently in different racks as well and we have a couple of boards that are really tight in the racks I wouldn't be as worried as those ones as I would with the loose boards...

Edited by pennery
  • 2 weeks later...
MalibuNation

I load mine while at my dock Yahoo.gif

The few time I take my boat to another lake I never have the boards or skis in the racks.

Edited by MalibuNation

This is one of my pet peeves. I see idiots with boards in their racks flying down the road all of the time at 60-65mph. My wife is tired of hearing me rant on about it whenever I see it in action. I saw someone in Southern Oregon doing 75 with boards in the racks. :Doh: It just isn't smart.

I have seen a Tige and a Mastercraft on the road with boards in the rack and I just shake my head. Must happen more on the darkside. Dontknow.gif

What about the board line/rope still tied to the tower, is't that just as bad? Whistling.gif I've seen that one too!