Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perfect Pass Star Gazer

Ache For Wake

I just had my dealer install PP Wakeboard Pro on my 2000 Escape (diamond hull) and they neglected to mention that the paddlewheel has A LOT of problems with that hull. So I tested this week and, of course, it didn't work well at all. KDW and NN settings didn't matter and when I held a constant RPM manually the displayed speed was all over the place. So I am looking at the new Star Gazer upgrade and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with it. I read somewhere that in wakeboard (or trick) mode it still used the paddlewheel, but I talked with Aaron at PP and he said the new ones are independent of it. If you've used it, post up and let us know what you think. Thanks!

Where did the dealer mount the paddlewheel? I have never heard of a problem paddlewheel that was mounted in an appropriate spot. PPass settings have to do with the "tailoring" of the pull and reaction, not ability to hold speed. Does it work in rpm mode?

IF you upgrade to SG, it's my understanding that the paddlewheel is still used to "confirm" the GPS speed. Everything I have seen says great things about SG, but I've not yet driven.

there is a new PP system coming out that does not require a paddlewheel at all. It is wakeboard pro GPS or something of the like. It does not require a paddle wheel, and it does not require magnets to set base times (both important to me). I have a brand new PP WB pro system sitting in a box here, but I have been holding out to hear about this new system. Mark at PP said they should have detalis on it VERY soon (if not, I'll install the WB pro and upgrade later). There is not much info as of now.

- Chad

This got me thinking, so I just called mark @ perfect pass. The new system IS available, it was released earlier this week. The cost is $1195 from them, and that includes everything (computer, gps receiver, gauge, servo motor, wires...etc) to make the new system work. It is bassically like a hybrid GPS wakeboard pro, only instead of using a paddle wheel it uses the GPS. No paddle wheel at all, unlike SG. Existing users can upgrade their system (as long as they have the newer display) for about $430, I think. That adds a new computer and a GPS receiver puck.

This got me thinking, so I just called mark @ perfect pass. The new system IS available, it was released earlier this week. The cost is $1195 from them, and that includes everything (computer, gps receiver, gauge, servo motor, wires...etc) to make the new system work. It is bassically like a hybrid GPS wakeboard pro, only instead of using a paddle wheel it uses the GPS. No paddle wheel at all, unlike SG. Existing users can upgrade their system (as long as they have the newer display) for about $430, I think. That adds a new computer and a GPS receiver puck.

My lake is bordered by high vertical rock walls, and my XM radio cuts out if I'm not getting that southern sky exposure. What will the GPS PP do I wonder ?

My lake is bordered by high vertical rock walls, and my XM radio cuts out if I'm not getting that southern sky exposure. What will the GPS PP do I wonder ?

It should since GPS uses several sattelites where as XM uses one.

I agree with Matt, the GPS satellite network is much more dense than XM or Sirius, so you should be able to get at least 4 satellites overhead at all times.

Where did the dealer mount the paddlewheel? I have never heard of a problem paddlewheel that was mounted in an appropriate spot. PPass settings have to do with the "tailoring" of the pull and reaction, not ability to hold speed. Does it work in rpm mode?

IF you upgrade to SG, it's my understanding that the paddlewheel is still used to "confirm" the GPS speed. Everything I have seen says great things about SG, but I've not yet driven.

JohnDoe, The dealer mounted the paddlewheel just to the front right of the v drive ahead of the engine intake and on the opposite side of the depth finder and drain plug. I thought it looked like a good spot, no obstructions or anything, but then I read into the archives about people having problems with the paddlewheel on the diamond hull and PP trying to fix it by making an extention that was supposed to lower the paddlewheel into "clean" water away from any turbulence from the hull. When I asked Randy at PP about this he said the "fix" only worked on some boats and that they have actually stopped selling PP for that hull. Seems however, they neglected to mention that to my dealer. There apparently IS a SG type upgrade that is independent from the paddlewheel.

I understand what the settings do, I was simply trying to avoid having someone say "you need to adjust the NN" because it was drifting around as this is not the case.

Chad, I also found out this morning that the newer system you mentioned is just recently available and I was also told that the upgrade would be about $430. Unfortunately my dealer now wants me to pay for the upgrade, although he said I could have it for his cost. I guess a little better communication between all parties involved could have saved me a couple hundred dollars! I just wondered if anyone has had first hand experience with the upgrade before I fork over the money to do it.

even the basic hand held gps have a display showing the number of birds acquired.

any of the crew have a hand held gps you can borrow to check reception?

even the basic hand held gps have a display showing the number of birds acquired.

any of the crew have a hand held gps you can borrow to check reception?

Ya, I didn't think about XM only using one. I will take my handheld gps up & see how it works against the rocks.

Ache -

The 2000 Escape had definitive issues with a constant flow of good water for paddlewheel use. The solution as Randy mentioned (it appears) was the addition of the "torpedo" housing that lowered the paddlewheel and also provided good water flow to it. We mounted it in a few Escapes with good results. (I never heard of one "still not working" after the torpedo paddlewheel was installed)

Malibu may still have some if PP doesn't. This is the easiest and cheapest route to use your Perfect Pass as installed, and I would try it before investing in a new Stargazer.

Hope that helps.

Peter

Ache -

The 2000 Escape had definitive issues with a constant flow of good water for paddlewheel use. The solution as Randy mentioned (it appears) was the addition of the "torpedo" housing that lowered the paddlewheel and also provided good water flow to it. We mounted it in a few Escapes with good results. (I never heard of one "still not working" after the torpedo paddlewheel was installed)

Malibu may still have some if PP doesn't. This is the easiest and cheapest route to use your Perfect Pass as installed, and I would try it before investing in a new Stargazer.

Hope that helps.

Peter

I have a 2001 Escape with the extension Peter is talking about and I'm pleased with the way the PP works.

What do you mean if you have the newer display?

Starting with versions 6.5N of the software, Perfect Pass has used a mult-line, high resolution display. If you have the newer display then you can upgrade the Master Module to a newer version, if not, you'll need the new display.

Ache -

Hope that helps.

Peter

Peter - Thanks for the advice. I will see if my dealer can find a "torpedo" extension from Malibu. I am interested in the Stargazer upgrade though, if it is as good at they say it is, it may just be the way to go even with the extra cost. I might just have to be the guinea pig and go ahead and get it.

• 3 weeks later...

Installed Star Gazer Wake Edition upgrade last week and it is sweet! Thumbup.gif Simple plug and play installation, velcro the GPS receiver right on the dash under the windshield. Holds speed within a tenth even in the turns when unweighted, a little more fluctuation in the turns when heavily weighted (2500 lbs), but not more than 1/2 a mph. Rode behide it a bunch and the pull was nice and true. I couldn't feel any variation and I'm pretty picky. Fixed my paddle wheel problem (as I don't need it any more) so I am pumped! Rockon.gif