Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery Power

javamans

have 3 amps with a total of 14 speakers plus putting in led light tube system....looking for a reference to a good onboard charger.

i have 2 deep cycle batteries with the factory isolator.....also considered adding a 3rd battery in connected to battery 2, but i realize the

alternator won't keep up. just looking for advice to prolong run time, i may buy optimas in the future but the batteries i have now are in great condition.

have 3 amps with a total of 14 speakers plus putting in led light tube system....looking for a reference to a good onboard charger. i have 2 deep cycle batteries with the factory isolator.....also considered adding a 3rd battery in connected to battery 2, but i realize the alternator won't keep up. just looking for advice to prolong run time, i may buy optimas in the future but the batteries i have now are in great condition.

I have the ProMariner 20 that charges my two batteries and really like the device. They are configureable for battery type as well. Mine wasn't cheap but the batteries are always ready and it is one less thing to worry about. I know they make them for three and four banks too, it is just a matter of how much you want to spend for how much current it will put out and how many battery banks you have.

-Dave

I've always had positive results and feedback with the Guest products. The 20amp (dual 10amp) models seems the best for most boat applications.

I use the Pro Mariner too. Thats exactly what you need. Its onboard and out of the way. I just plug it in when its on the lift and the batteries are fresh and fully charged the next time I go out - no worries.

I've always had positive results and feedback with the Guest products. The 20amp (dual 10amp) models seems the best for most boat applications.

Me too, Plus1.gif

So....educate me on these things. Is this like a battery tender? Or something else entirely.

It's an onboard charger that you just plug into with an extension cord. Charger mounts in the boat and stays there.

Convenient. So does it automatically shut off when the batteries are topped off? Can you set the rate of charge? I've read that you shouldn't put more than a 2 amp load on Optimas or you could damage the cells, & that you shouldn't put a continuous charge of any kind on any battery once it's completely charged.

Here is a picture of a guest recently installed:

post-5264-1212893876_thumb.jpg

The on board charger will apply the needed amount of charge to the batterys based on what capacity they are at. If they are depleated it will put full power to the battery. As the voltage increases the amperage decreases. When the battery is at 100% a float charge of .5amp or less is applied to maintain the level. It is an excellent investment.

Cool. So I was reading the documentation for the Pro Mariner Prosport 8 as well as a comparable Guest product, & the Guest product manual says the following:

Please be sure the DC system to which the charger is connected is not drawing excessive current from the battery for extended periods of time while the charger is operating.

From the rest of their explanation, I understand why. But I'm curious as to what constitutes "excessive"? From my own troubleshooting on a slow drain that I had to track down, I know that every system has a certain amount of small draw so I'm curious at what they mean by that.

I've never just left mine plugged in for long periods - say more than 10 days - normally when I leave the dock Sunday nite and unplug when I return Friday.

I do plug it in when we run the stereo all nite too. But I didn't read anything about it in the instructions. In fact I didn't read any at all cuz several of my buddies with large cruisers use the same system and I just copied what they do. Went with experience over literature.

I use Wally's deep cycle not Optimas. Reason being is I thought I read on here somewhere that they didn't work well with chargers. Plus they are cheap. I'm on my 3rd season with no issues and they seem fresh as new.

Yeah, you need to take more care when using chargers with Optimas from what I understand. Maybe I'll call the different companies this week & get their thoughts.

My buddy has a plug in battery charging/maintenance system. I have no idea how it is hooked up, but he was told that it was supposed to extend the life of his batteries by a few seasons...only time will tell if it really does. It is nice however, to never have to worry about the batteries being low.

• 9 months later...
Yeah, you need to take more care when using chargers with Optimas from what I understand. Maybe I'll call the different companies this week & get their thoughts.

We have been stocking and installing the ProMariner Systems at Bake's for the past few years and they have been awesome, easy to use, no way to do it wrong, just plug it in! One of the really cool features is that with the ProMariner you can actually select what battery type you have, That way they get charged properly. We have them all up on our site if you want check out the details, I put all the features, size specs, output, etc. on there

ProSport 8 Amp

ProSport 12 Amp

Prosport 20 Amp

For an 09 23LSV, would the ProSport 12 be sufficient or would you recommend the ProSport 20?? Dontknow.gif

Personally i think the 8 Amp is more than plenty, a lot of our customers picked a 12 amp since it's "middle of the road" amperage and size wise.

Just FYI 2010, a Promariner charger will be a new factory option from Malibu Boats. Last i heard speaking with ProMariner at the last trade show i was at, Malibu is planning on using the 12 Amp.

-Paul

I am getting ready to redo the battery charging set up as the stereo currently drains eveythng dead in no time. The problem I had last year was once the batteries were dead on the first day of a three day long weekend even charging them at night never brought them back full for the next day. I was using a 10 amp portable charger.

I am getting ready to put in 3 Kinetik batteries and install thier 60amp power supply on board. http://www.kinetikaudio.com/powersupplies.asp

Being a "smart" power supply it will be able to charge everything fully overnight, and if we happen to have the boat out of the water and want to play the stereo for long periods I can just plug it in and won't have to worry about the "excessive current while plugged in" wakegirl quoted that most regular chargers will have.

I am wanting to mount a nice fitting I can plug an extension cord into while the cover is on, maybe on the transom. I have seen watertight plugs like this. Anyone seen this done? Pros or Cons?

I am wanting to mount a nice fitting I can plug an extension cord into while the cover is on, maybe on the transom. I have seen watertight plugs like this. Anyone seen this done? Pros or Cons?

I thought long about installing a terminal to receive the extension cord for this but opted for a permanent extension cord coiled and tucked nicely under the gunnel. I can reach up in there even with the cover on and pull it out when the boat is covered to maintain charge. I've been very hesitant in cutting holes in the boat, especially the glass.

We have been stocking and installing the ProMariner Systems at Bake's for the past few years and they have been awesome, easy to use, no way to do it wrong, just plug it in! One of the really cool features is that with the ProMariner you can actually select what battery type you have, That way they get charged properly. We have them all up on our site if you want check out the details, I put all the features, size specs, output, etc. on there

ProSport 8 Amp

ProSport 12 Amp

Prosport 20 Amp

For an 09 23LSV, would the ProSport 12 be sufficient or would you recommend the ProSport 20?? Dontknow.gif

Personally i think the 8 Amp is more than plenty, a lot of our customers picked a 12 amp since it's "middle of the road" amperage and size wise.

Just FYI 2010, a Promariner charger will be a new factory option from Malibu Boats. Last i heard speaking with ProMariner at the last trade show i was at, Malibu is planning on using the 12 Amp.

-Paul

Where do you guys usually install this chargers on an LSV?

Where do you guys usually install this chargers on an LSV?

My question as well, as I just got a ProSport 20 Plus to help get my 3 bank of batteries charged after a day on the water

Edited by AzSyndicate

Paul - Is there something like a ProSport charger that is available in a "portable" model? I'm looking for something that will fill all my charging needs in one package... something that can be used to maintain the boat batteries in the winter and snowmobile/snowthrower batteries during the summer, but more importantly something that can provide a good ammount of current to charge a battery that is dead. The Battery Tenders listed above look nice, but I dont think any of them have the ability to provide enough charging current to bring back a dead battery over night, correct?

- Chad