Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer tire question

I have a tandem axle trailer with (obviously) 4 tires. Last year one tire had to be replaced on the road due to irreparable damage.

Airing up the tires this year I notice that the 3 original tires call for a max pressure of 44lbs, and the newer tires calls for a max pressure of 38 lbs. I maxed the pressure on the original 3 and then got the the newer tire, thought about it for a few minutes, and went ahead and maxed it to 38.

Does anybody see a potential problem with this? It towed fine for the 50 miles or so r/t to the lake, but I'm not sure if the pressure differential will eventually cause a problem.

Edited by jayjoans

It's hindsight now but, I would have replaced the tire with the exact same model as the remaining 3. Do you have a spare that is the same model as the other 3 that you could put on and make this new tire the spare?

Otherwise, I'd just split it down the middle and make all the tires 41 lbs. I think you'd be better off with all the same pressures.

Otherwise, I'd just split it down the middle and make all the tires 41 lbs. I think you'd be better off with all the same pressures.

Thanks Pete- you think it's OK to go over the max on one tire by 3lbs? I would guess it'd be OK, do you think that that is safer than running all of them at their max with one 6 lbs less? Seemed to me that going over would be worse, but I don't know.

I would've replaced the one with a matcher, but we were off to the lake one morning and got blown into the shoulder and the lead right rear picked up something and started to go flat. Luckily a trailing friend noticed it and called us and we were able to get into a tire store off the side of the freeway before it went totally flat. At that point I took whatever they had not to ruin the day.

Edited by jayjoans

Thanks Pete- you think it's OK to go over the max on one tire by 3lbs? I would guess it'd be OK, do you think that that is safer than running all of them at their max with one 6 lbs less? Seemed to me that going over would be worse, but I don't know.

I would've replaced the one with a matcher, but we were off to the lake one morning and got blown into the shoulder and the lead right rear picked up something and started to go flat. Luckily a trailing friend noticed it and called us and we were able to get into a tire store off the side of the freeway before it went totally flat. At that point I took whatever they had not to ruin the day.

All tire have the maximum pressure on the sidewall. This does not mean they should be run at this pressure, however it does mean you should not inflate them above this pressure when then are cold. They will heat up as you drive down the road and increase pressure by 2-3 psi. This can be demonstrated by looking at your car or truck. The recommended pressure is always below the maximum. I would suggest you run them all at 38 PSI or if the other tires are soft replace the odd tire to match your set.

Edited by mailbudad

a few years back, I had a tire go bad. The manufacturer replaced the tires. I spoke with the rep. and he made it very clear that trailer tires should always be at the max. pressure. They should be checked cold. Ever since, I have been under the impression that max. pressure was best. I towed 300 mi. each way a few times per month and never had another issue. Sometimes in 100+ degree heat.

I dont see how it would be a problem to have 3 tires at 44 psi, and one at 38. I think I would call / email manu. and ask.

I've always pumped them up to max pressure also, I would put each to the max and forget about it.

Just bought a new pair of Goodyear Marithons load range D, the tires said 65 psi, so that's what I did. Seems pretty high to me, I thought 50 was the norm.

The higher the load range, the higher the max allowed pressure. You must run at max pressure to receive max load range out of a tire. If you don't need full capacity of tire, you can run lower pressure for softer ride. Most trailers are carrying close to maximum loaded weight therefore need to be aired to max pressure on sidewall.