Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

iRide Ballast help

Badger

I read through all 5 pages of ballast posts last night and am still confused as to what would be the realistic options for my adding extra ballast to my iRide. The goal would be strictly for improving wakesurfing. I'd like a set-up that could allow me to surf with just the driver. I'm already pretty close with just the center MLS and manual wedge.

Is my best and easiest option to just throw Fly High Inboard Surf Sac on the floor in front of the rear seat?

Can I put something in the ski locker? I'm not sure where my gas tank is located under the floor. Do I need the bow ballast also?

From reading the posts, it doesn't sound as though doing an automated system is really a good option on a DD.

Any recomendations would be appreciated.

Badger

I've got an Iride as well. I fill the center ballast, drop the manual wedge, and I've got a 260lb fat sack (Fly High side sack to be specific) I leave on whichever side we're surfing on. Works great and that's usually with only one or two other people (other than the driver) in the boat.

• 3 weeks later...
I read through all 5 pages of ballast posts last night and am still confused as to what would be the realistic options for my adding extra ballast to my iRide. The goal would be strictly for improving wakesurfing. I'd like a set-up that could allow me to surf with just the driver. I'm already pretty close with just the center MLS and manual wedge.

Is my best and easiest option to just throw Fly High Inboard Surf Sac on the floor in front of the rear seat?

Can I put something in the ski locker? I'm not sure where my gas tank is located under the floor. Do I need the bow ballast also?

From reading the posts, it doesn't sound as though doing an automated system is really a good option on a DD.

Any recomendations would be appreciated.

Badger

You need to poke around in your boat, but I think that the gas tank is forward of the locker so I think that you can safely put a bag in it. Check to be sure though.

On our Wakesetter DD, we plumbed in a bag under the rear seat (in a custom box) that gave us about 250lbs (completely controlled from the dash), & put a sack on the surf side. It was a decent wave, especially for a direct drive. Since you have that big trunk, I think that you could get a lot more back there. Where that bag really paid off was in the wakeboarding wake. With good weight up front to work with the wedge, that weight really gave the wake some height.

post-1-1214359731_thumb.jpg

post-1-1214359740_thumb.jpg

post-1-1214359747_thumb.jpg

There's a big sticker in the locker of the iRide that says no more than 75 lbs (or somwhere around there) in that back locker or it will crush the gas tank. It specifically says the locker is NOT for ballast.

I just bought two sacks, one for each side of the engine (260 lbs each), but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. Here's a link

Fly high side sack link

Yeah, I've got that same sticker in my rear lockers that I put my 750s in, of course those tanks just hold water, not gas. But I'd look again, I thought that the I-Ride's gas tank was forward of, not under that locker.

i fill my mls, put the wedge down, and fill up a 750lb sack and set it in the back corner on the drivers side. I surf with just my girlfriend driving the boat. seems to work fine.

Thanks everyone. I did buy a set of the Fly High Vdrive sacs, just for a bit more weight than the side sacs. We played around a bit last weekend but didn't have enough time to experiment to the point of going ropeless. I'm headed back out tonight for the next week and hopefully will have it dialed in by the end of the week.

Ken

Edited by Badger