Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thermostat installed

I installed a 160 degree thermostat yesterday then put it on the fake a lake to see if I could get it up to temp. After about 5 to 10 minutes the gauge began to climb up to about 140 then drop back to 120. Did this several times. I revd up a little and it got up to 160 but then shortly dropped back to 120 degrees. Is this normal running on a fake a lake. Will I see a more consistent temp reading when on the lake?

Thanks AF1

Rockon.gif

For the short ammounts of time that I have run with my fake a lake, my temps have varried somewhat, but never gone above 160. I dont really have a good explanation as to why, but they do a bit.

Never had that problem, but I usually raise the idle to about 1000 RPM's when running on the fake-a-lake. But I've also run it at straight idle with no variation in temp. If your water is really cold or you have alot of volume it can do what you're describing.

-Chris

Thanks guys.

I'll follow up after a day on the lake and let you know what happens.. I will be bringing tools to pull it out if it starts to overheat... Just in case. The boat has not had a thermostat in it for several seasons

AF1

Has the temp sensor been checked? It is not the best thing to run with out a thermostat. In some cases I have seen the water push through too fast and not cool causing over heating. Check the grounds on the gage. Does the sensor have a sealant around the threads could be causing a bad ground also.

I run mine with a fake a lake often, espesially after I've been on muddy water. It never gets to 160 and the temp is fairly constant on the fake a lake.

Make sure your hose is not kinked and turned fully on first.

Took the boat to the lake today and gauge never registered until about an hour into our trip. Went up to 140 and back down to 120. Then another time I was idling and it shot up to 180 degrees for just a second. Got a overheat light on the dash. Didn't last long and went back to 120 degrees on the gauge????? Did I install wrong? Boat ran good all day and didn't have the fuel smell coming from exhaust as we did when running with no thermostat. I did use liquid gasket on the top cover, but used regular gasket around thermostat when I installed. I don't have a clue. Any input would be appreciated.......

AF1 :(

Well, installed thermostat and on the lake never registered on the gauge until about 1/2 way through the day I went to pick up one of the kids who whiped out. Then I get 180 reading and overheat light. Pulled the thermostat out and I am going to run without...... The guy I bought the boat from has not run thermostat for several seasons so F$% it. I'm going to do the same......

AF1

Biggrin.gif