Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 23LSV Cover

mikkee1

Hi there,

First time post, so my bad if this has already been discussed.

We recently purchased a new 08 23LSV. We absolutely LOVE the boat, with one exception. Whenever it rains the cover fills with water. I'm used to snaps on other boats, which are not without pain, but I never had issues with water or the cover blowing over. Without an attachment to hold the cover down at the sides, under the tower, it easily gets pulled up and water pools in the back. It gets so much in there that if it's only on one side, the boat lists a little that way. Yesterday my wife emptied 25 pitchers of water from the cover.

I applaud it's waterproff-ness, but this is a real pain in the shorts. Is there an attachment or something for the rear pole that adds more support to the cover at the back?

Considering how much engineering know-how went into that cover on other aspects, I find it bewildering that this can happen. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

I have the same problem with my 2008 LSV. Yesterday I put a 4" block under the rear pole and tightened the band ratchets a bit tighter than I thought I should. A huge storm came within 5 minutes and the cover shed water very well. The answer for me will be a longer rear pole and two cover to trailer straps sewn in near the tower. I will definitely not use the extra straps when towing though. I have seen gel get messed up like that.

Also...............I have noticed the ratchet straps stretch when they are new. Mine stopped stretching after about two weeks.

most people recommend not getting the factory cover, and ordering a custom cover from Rankin or Evolution

I've got a factory cover and after seeing both Evolution and Rankin covers IHMO it's a far superior product. No water pools up on it and traveling it fits like a glove with virtually no movement. The factory cover comes w/ two poles of differing heights btw. The only thing I've done is use bungies around each tower footing ,we had some serious rain over the Memorial weekend and only a very minor amount got in.

One more tip.............there are two straps sewn into the cover near the transom. Run those through the lifting rings and cinch them down TIGHT. That, and going tighter on the ratchets should end the problem.

One more tip.............there are two straps sewn into the cover near the transom. Run those through the lifting rings and cinch them down TIGHT. That, and going tighter on the ratchets should end the problem.

Good point, those need to be tight for it to function properly.

Yep, I always tighten them right down too. I'll try a longer pole, but it's just frustrating to pay so much for a great quality boat and have to modify the cover to make it work properly. I shouldn't have to buy a separate custom-made cover to have one that works...Then again, that is my only significant complaint about the boat, other than a lack of cleats up near the bow, so one has to keep things in perspective...Oh, and a snap-in carpet would be nice, plus a hinge for the rear middle cushion so you don't slip climbing into the boat and smash your head on the ski pole...Strange how they made zippered cut-outs in the cover for the rear cleats, but not for the "front" ones...But I digress...

Yep, I always tighten them right down too. I'll try a longer pole, but it's just frustrating to pay so much for a great quality boat and have to modify the cover to make it work properly. I shouldn't have to buy a separate custom-made cover to have one that works...Then again, that is my only significant complaint about the boat, other than a lack of cleats up near the bow, so one has to keep things in perspective...Oh, and a snap-in carpet would be nice, plus a hinge for the rear middle cushion so you don't slip climbing into the boat and smash your head on the ski pole...Strange how they made zippered cut-outs in the cover for the rear cleats, but not for the "front" ones...But I digress...

You should have received two different poles with the cover. Both poles are telescoping and differ in heights, when traveling don’t use the poles btw. Make sure you ratchet the cover down tight and use the rear straps, but I’m just not having the same issues on mine. The cutout cleats should be there if you ordered the boat w/ the cleats. I would ask your dealer why the cover didn’t include front cutouts for the cleats when you clearly ordered them for the boat. They should be able to modify the cover to add the cutouts in front.

Snap in carpet, we talked about that before many here on the Crew feel that it just appears cheap and unfinished. I prefer the carpet saver myself but to each their own.

I have the cover with the two ratchets in the rear in the black zippered bag, but

didn't know about the other straps in the rear - is this the factory style cover that

has them?

Even without those straps installed the cover has worked pretty well.

One modification I made was to put velcro on the tower and on the inside of the cover

to help keep the area that did pool water a little tighter.

We trailer with ours quite often with only small rub marks where the plastic buckles

connect under each tower leg.