Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Installing a new impeller

I recently purchased a spare impeller and read the installation instructions. Apparently one is supposed to pre-rotate the impeller so that the fins are pre-bent in the normal operating direction.

If I have a failed impeller, is there a way I can tell which direction the impeller normally turns in without having to turn the engine over with the cover off of the impeller housing (difficult to see with my V-drive)?

the impeller rotates the same direction as the engine. From the back of the motor looking at the belt it spins to the left. So rotate the impeller towards starboard as installing it.

-Chris

the impeller rotates the same direction as the engine. From the back of the motor looking at the belt it spins to the left. So rotate the impeller towards starboard as installing it.

-Chris

Thanks for the info but I am a bit slow on the uptake on this.

Did I get it right? - If I was looking at the impeller housing from the stern of the boat towards the bow of the boat (impeller housing is of course located near the stern of the boat), I would rotate the impeller clockwise as I installed it. Is that correct?

That is correct - turn it clockwise - looking into the opening of the pump.

I did turn over my engine with the cover off last week & the vanes switched directions easily. In fact - with the rebound of the engine after the turn-over, several of the vanes ended up pointing in the wrong direction. (The housing was already wet from running on the hose earlier).

I later ran it up to temp to test new T-stat & hoses that were replaced too, so am relatively confident that the vanes are now all correctly oriented.

That is correct - turn it clockwise - looking into the opening of the pump.

I did turn over my engine with the cover off last week & the vanes switched directions easily. In fact - with the rebound of the engine after the turn-over, several of the vanes ended up pointing in the wrong direction. (The housing was already wet from running on the hose earlier).

I later ran it up to temp to test new T-stat & hoses that were replaced too, so am relatively confident that the vanes are now all correctly oriented.

Yep, I was all worried about this too but in the end I don't think it will matter. First time you turn the motor over they will flip to the right direction. They aren't so tight in there that it will turn with the fins the wrong direction. I wouldn't do this a lot, but at first install it should be ok.

Indmar engines with the johnson pump (just about every Indmar engine) don't worry about the direction of the impeller blades, it will correct it self when you start the engine up.

Mercruiser pumps are a different story, you have to get them going the correct direction or you will most likly tear the impeller up.

Hope you got it figured out!

If you want to get it the 'correct' direction straight away and aren't sure about engine rotation direction just bump the engine a little with the starter

I don't take any chances, I bend half the blades in one direction and half in the other... :)

If you want to get it the 'correct' direction straight away and aren't sure about engine rotation direction just bump the engine a little with the starter

Easy with a DD, not so easy with the V-drive the OP has

Easy with a DD, not so easy with the V-drive the OP has

First time I changed mine I could not figure out how to get it out. I pulled the entire water pump off. One thing I did notice is that all it really takes to get the vanes pointing in right direction is only about 90 degrees of crank rotation. For those that have not seen the inside of the pump, the vanes on the bottom are bent down. This is what I was struggling with on trying to get it out.

'04 LSV