Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water tight???

THis topic may have been discussed before...please forgive me I am new at owning a malibu. I am curious if there are any suggestions or reasons of explanation as to why there seems to be water inside the ski locker in the center of the boat. I dont seem to take on water anywhere else but as soon as the boat is in the water for a bit there seems to be water that is leaking in from somewhere? I have threaded the plugs with tape. Any help....suggestions? Is this relatively small amount of water okay?? Thanks.

J

THis topic may have been discussed before...please forgive me I am new at owning a malibu. I am curious if there are any suggestions or reasons of explanation as to why there seems to be water inside the ski locker in the center of the boat. I dont seem to take on water anywhere else but as soon as the boat is in the water for a bit there seems to be water that is leaking in from somewhere? I have threaded the plugs with tape. Any help....suggestions? Is this relatively small amount of water okay?? Thanks.

J

I always have water in mine - I attribute it to the packing nut.

Between people getting into the boat wet and the dripping from the shaft seal you will get water in your ski locker that tends to sit there.

Also you don't need to use teflon tape on your drain plugs.

-Chris

I just noticed this the other day also. After boating for a few hours, when I put the boat back up in the lift, I lifted the panel out of the floor to find water in there. I have an 07 Wakesetter 23 LSV. If anyone knows why this is or how to correct it, please help.

J

As said above, the packing nut - the place where the drive shaft goes through the hull, is cooled, and lubricated by a steady flow of water, it should drip a few drops a minute under regular use. If more it should be tightned a little, but not too much.

Congrats on the new boat

BB

seeing a little bit of water in my bilge makes me happy, then I know the packing nut is working properly. Wife and I went out yesterday by ourselves, ran about a mile across the lake, floated for 6 hours and then ran back to the ramp. I probably had about 2 quarts of water in the bilge when I pulled the plug. The packing nut should weep even if you're not under way, this is one reason why people that leave their boats in the water all season rely so heavily on an automatic bilge pump.

If you're coming from an I/O then water in the bilge would be a bit alarming, but it is normal for inboards since the shaft goes through the hull.

Edited by jayjoans
I just noticed this the other day also. After boating for a few hours, when I put the boat back up in the lift, I lifted the panel out of the floor to find water in there. I have an 07 Wakesetter 23 LSV. If anyone knows why this is or how to correct it, please help.

packing nut

cooler drains into bilge

leaky ballast fittings or possibly leak at engine block if you have a shower

shower might be on or dripping

The floor locker is lower than theprop shaft area. The water is, as previously mentioned, most likely coming from the prop shaft & running forward under the gas tank into the locker. My boat has a plug in the back of the floor locker to seal it off. You could put that in & see if it helps. I suppose the fin mounting screws could be leaking too ?

I'm a recent malibu owner and I get that packing is suppose to drip a bit, but what I don't get is having to rely on the bilge if you leave your boat in the water. You'll have to fill in my lack of knowledge, but is it recommended not to keep your boat in the water. I don't have a lift, nor do I want to trailer the boat at the end of the day. I'm hoping that I can leave the boat in the water for a few weeks and not have to worry.

Put another way, water in the bilge is normal and expected. Completely dry after a day on the water and you have a problem. My boat is in the water all season. The bilge pump works. Before the Bu, my Supra stayed in the water, again with nominal bilge water and a functional pump. Never a problem.

I'm hoping that I can leave the boat in the water for a few weeks and not have to worry.

You could always tighten your packing nut when you're going to leave it in the water for a longer period, just don't forget to adjust it again before you run it.

Or, look at it like this-- you likely wouldn't have more than a gallon of water come in over a 24 hour period, multiply that by "a few weeks" and you will have taken on 21 gallons of water. A gallon of water is 8.34 lbs. In 3 weeks you'd have 175lbs of water in your boat, less than one regular sized male guest. In my estimation 21 gallons of water wouldn't even come near the floor of your boat, so I wouldn't worry too much. It'll still be there floating when you get back. Even if my guess is way off, it's pretty evident that it would take much longer than a few weeks to affect the boat.

Now if it is sitting uncovered in a downpour, I might go and check it....

The largest source of water in my bilge is from the shower. Even if the pump is off, the shower head leaks really bad if the valve on the head is left in the 'on' position. It only leaks marginally bad in the 'off' position. You may want to check that.

Yep its fine.

Think about big cruisers with twin inboards - they never leave the water.

Instead they depend on the bilge pumps to keep the water to a minimum.

We have folks in and out of the boat a lot to ride and play and just one wet jacket and trunks brings in a weeks worth of packing nut drip.

I have the same problem but the water is coming in from under the engine bay's shiny black material at the join. i have filled the boat with water on the trailer and only a few drips come out the prop shaft so the packing nut must be working. the only penatrations through the black material that i can see are the bung and the water intake for the engine. if the boat sits in the water it is about 25-30 min between bilges but if we are moving it bilges nearly every time we stop. i can not physicaly see the water coming in the boat from any where other than the join at the front of the engine bay. please help Cry.gif

Edited by maffmay&coops

ruh-roh. Others will know better, but is that the HDS leaking? Do a search on the site for HDS leak, that might be your issue

ruh-roh. Others will know better, but is that the HDS leaking? Do a search on the site for HDS leak, that might be your issue

thanks heaps, i did the search and found exactly what i needed. Thumbup.gifThumbup.gif

The largest source of water in my bilge is from the shower. Even if the pump is off, the shower head leaks really bad if the valve on the head is left in the 'on' position. It only leaks marginally bad in the 'off' position. You may want to check that.

Mine to, i hate that freakin shower.

Edited by apwrx

Mine to, i hate that freakin shower.

My showers did that, so I always just disconnected the quick connect fitting, no more leaks.