Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Overheating, Help!!!

Whats up? I have a 2006 vlx with fresh water cooling on a 340 monsoon. I am having alot of overheating problems. There is no debris in any hoses. The boat would over heat when at idle. Would stop, cool down, then proceed to over heat again. I had the water pump and impeller changed. Also changed the 160 degree thermo. to another 160 then back to a 140. After changing it to the 140 the problem stopped until yesterday when i was at idle and the temp started rising again. I pulled the boat out and flushed it and in about 3 minutes it started to over heat again. Anyone with similar issues?

Edited by Eyekahn

have you cleaned the Heat Exchanger? If factory installed, I assume you have an ORCA FWC system. If that is the case, their documentation says to clean the exchanger at least once a year (i guess it depends on the salinity of your water (assuming you are using in salt)).

You need to clean each of the little holes in the exchanger so none of the passages are blocked.

We use the boat in salt water and fresh/slightly brackish water but flush after every use. Boat only has 90hrs on it. And yes the system came from the factory. If there is air in the system how do i release it? I have a cap that releases pressure.

If you are getting air, that could be a cracked head or something to that effect from my understanding. Did the problem start after a winterization process/winter?

Edited by malibu3

No. Just randomly happened on memorial day. Then again yesterday. Teh cap was leaking coolant and had a cracked gasket. So i replaced that first. Could that have caused the air in the system?

Edited by Eyekahn

read my post above. the heat exchanger itselft needs to be MANUALLY cleaned, not just flushed. raw water passes throught that exchanger. remove the endcaps, and you will see a series of small holes that pass all the way through the exchanger. each of those passages must be totally unblocked. i found that after just 50 hours (even less) some of those passages become blocked). they sell a small kit for cleaning it (its just basically a piece of solid plastic tubing that reached from one end of the exchanger to the other (think like a chimney sweep). you have to pass that tube through each of those small holes (takes about 15 minutes).

read my post above. the heat exchanger itselft needs to be MANUALLY cleaned, not just flushed. raw water passes throught that exchanger. remove the endcaps, and you will see a series of small holes that pass all the way through the exchanger. each of those passages must be totally unblocked. i found that after just 50 hours (even less) some of those passages become blocked). they sell a small kit for cleaning it (its just basically a piece of solid plastic tubing that reached from one end of the exchanger to the other (think like a chimney sweep). you have to pass that tube through each of those small holes (takes about 15 minutes).

Ill check that. I think its very odd that it only happens some times not everytime the boat is turned on.