Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Black from swim platform

davidhep23

Has anyone had any problems with black tracking from your swim platform into your boar. I have on '07 VLX that tracks black all on to my white vinyl when I get in and out of my boat. I have not cleaned it with anything but soap and water. Also, any suggestions on how to get it out of the small crack in the vinyl?

Cover the deck after you wash the platform. wash it after getting it home with a good soap then after dryingh it cover it, don't leave it in the sun and it will stop tracking black all over the place. Good luck.

Has anyone had any problems with black tracking from your swim platform into your boar. I have on '07 VLX that tracks black all on to my white vinyl when I get in and out of my boat. I have not cleaned it with anything but soap and water. Also, any suggestions on how to get it out of the small crack in the vinyl?

Still under warranty- make them replace it.

Still under warranty- make them replace it.

I was told they would replace it with the same thing, not the new material, so, you'll end up with a new rubber mat that will start doing the same thing as the old one...

Find a way to clean it, then like the others have said, keep it covered....

I've never had that problem, but I prefer teak anyway. Rockon.gif

I guess this proves that even Fiberglass Swim Platforms are not maintenance free either?

... got a point there... The only problem I have had with mine is that the rivets keep popping out. Not completely, but abut 1/8 ". I use a ski handle to hammer them back in, but they keep popping back out.

Plus1.gif I have a nearly MINT fiberglass platform that came on my boat. I bought a demo-teak platform and have never looked back. It is gorgeous!

There have been concerns and issues about the tracking black thing. Seems like they said to scrub with dawn soap and a soft bristle brush and keep covered. I think the rubber dries a bit and oils, etc...evaporate and leave a sort of dust/tacky stuff that can be tracked into the boat, BICBW.

Best of luck,

I've never had that problem, but I prefer teak anyway. Rockon.gif

I guess this proves that even Fiberglass Swim Platforms are not maintenance free either?

On our 06 we never had a problem with anything on the platform or any maintenance.

We keep ours under the cover when not in use/out of the sun. Not sure if they changed anything in 07 & beyond with the platform.

303 on seats after every use seemed to keep ours from stains in the seams.

I think there is another thread on teak vs. fiberglass.

I have an 08 VLX and the rubber on my platform is very slick when it gets wet. I have already scrubbed it with dish soap with no luck. Anyone else have this problem?

Just had my 05 platform redone with new material (warranty), we will see how it holds up. It seems that the old mats oxidize in the sun, so your best bet it to keep it covered. Mine only tracked the black into the boat when it was first put in the water and as the day went on it seemed to clear up. As a habit now we just take ours off when we store the boat.

My 06 VLX came with a swim platform that had been exposed/oxidized for 1 yr in Florida when I bought it. Every time your feet would touch the platform, you would have to scrub the black off your feet. I tried soap and water, but that just made a towel black and did not help with the problem. Then I washed again and applied Mothers® Back-to-Black® twice over a 1 week period. This product left no slippery finish and gave the rubber a deep black color. I have not had any black mess from the platform since I did this. The boat is indoors now, so I am not sure how often you would have to reapply if it were exposed to the elements.

The factory sent a replacement black rubber piece for mine. Same as the origonal. It was fine at first but now is leaving our feet and the seats black. Our boat sits on a lift with no cover on the platform. I think it's just the reality of the black rubber left in the sun. I would guess that it get's pretty tosty in the sunshine. I'm going to clean and treat the rubber with 303. Then get a cover for the platform. I like the black deck, so I'll just have to take better care of it :)