Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Are You Responsible for Your Wake?

Tom Sawyer

Are You Responsible for Your Wake?  

432 members have voted

1. 1. Scenario 1 - You go to your favorite cove to find that a dock has been installed and a boat is tied up there. You continue with your activity of choice. Even though the cove is NOT a no-wake cove, and you maintain a "Safe" distance from the dock, your wake rocks the boat and damages the gel coat

• You are responsible for the damage done to the boat.
    • You are not responsible for the damage done to the boat.
  2. 2. Scenario 2 - You go to your favorite cove to find two boats floating together. Once again, you continue with your activity of choice. Even though it is NOT a no-wake cove, and you stay a "Safe" distance from the other two boats, they bump together and are damaged.

• You are responsible for damage done to either or both boats
    • You are not responsible for damage done to either boat.

I voted that yes you are responsible for your wake in both scenarios. I agree that a boat docked in a slip should be properly secured to prevent damage from wakes. I also think two boats tied together should have bumpers between them to prevent damage also. But, the problem today is that folks are using ballast or by other methods trying to create a much larger wake than the boat would normally generate. By doing this they are increasing their exposure to liability for damages to property and equipment. Don't look for this issue to go away, but expect it to become much more prominent in future years.

I think you are responsible for your wake. I am glad that large wakeboard/surf boats can't get onto my lake because it makes my life much easier.

My biggest concern is that people don't keep the appropriate distance which I see all the time.

Regarding the question about a 150 ft wide river I think you have to not ski/board/surf near the piers.

I voted that yes you are responsible for your wake in both scenarios. I agree that a boat docked in a slip should be properly secured to prevent damage from wakes. I also think two boats tied together should have bumpers between them to prevent damage also. But, the problem today is that folks are using ballast or by other methods trying to create a much larger wake than the boat would normally generate. By doing this they are increasing their exposure to liability for damages to property and equipment. Don't look for this issue to go away, but expect it to become much more prominent in future years.

Bill - If the words "activity of choice" were replaced with "barefooting", would your opinion be the same?

Just curious? :)

Not sure why this is a such a debate- the laws are clear on this in most states: The operator of a vessel is responsible for damage caused by their wake. This isn't a recent innovation aimed at wakeboard or ski boats- it's a long-established concept- covered in boating courses & state regulations going back years. Just two examples:

From the Georgia Safe Boating Handbook:

"These dangerous operating practices are illegal in Georgia:

...Causing damage from the wake of your boat or PWC "

From the NY State Boaters Guide:

"A vessel operator is always responsible for any damage

caused by the vessel’s wake."

In addition, many states have adopted "100-foot" rules- which prohibit operating a vessel above idle speed within 100 feet of an inhabited shoreline, anchored vessel, dock or other permanent structure, etc. However even if you're more than 100 fee away, you're still responsible if your wake causes damage to someone's property...

Let me ask this can I sue mother nature when an earthquake knocks my chimney over? Can I sue the god of lightning for starting a forest fire that burned down my cabin? In my eyes America needs to grow up and start taking responsibility for its own actions. If you cant tie up your boat so it doesn't get damaged then you better start sending the gel coat repair man a bottle of whiskey for Christmas. If you cant afford to fix it don't own it. The reality is that LIFE happens you can roll with it and be happy or you can fight it and be miserable. we all complain about the countless laws in this country. Well guess what those laws came from some cry baby who went and sued someone and had a better lawyer. MAN UP AMERICA!

Agreed. And you are personally responsible for actions that foreseeably damage other people's property. And you shouldn't wait for the other guy to sue you before you "man up" and take responsibility for your actions.

Isn't it funny that the most "vocal" "Man up" responses regarding "taking responsibility" have been from those who would NOT hold the wake-producer responsible, even though the wake-creator is responsible! I'm choking on the double standard. Blame the people whose boats got damaged (allegedly) because their boats were not moored correctly, yet the law is that the wake-producer is responsible, but when the producer gets called on causing damage, the victims are just trying to blame someone else, and fail to "Man up". :unsure:

Edited by JohnDoe
Let me ask this can I sue mother nature when an earthquake knocks my chimney over? Can I sue the god of lightning for starting a forest fire that burned down my cabin? In my eyes America needs to grow up and start taking responsibility for its own actions. If you cant tie up your boat so it doesn't get damaged then you better start sending the gel coat repair man a bottle of whiskey for Christmas. If you cant afford to fix it don't own it. The reality is that LIFE happens you can roll with it and be happy or you can fight it and be miserable. we all complain about the countless laws in this country. Well guess what those laws came from some cry baby who went and sued someone and had a better lawyer. MAN UP AMERICA!

Agreed. And you are personally responsible for actions that foreseeably damage other people's property. And you shouldn't wait for the other guy to sue you before you "man up" and take responsibility for your actions.

jackrash- maybe you didn't understand what I was trying to get across. When I said man up America I guess I should have said man up and and have some respect. If we all took a minute and walked in someone Else's shoes for a moment I bet our actions would change. In no way am I saying that your not responsible for your wake but if you had any kind of respect for people you wouldn't have the issue to begin with. I work and play with a ton of water front owners on are local lakes and I always have this conversation with them and the amazing thing is that none of them care if we wake board or surf or what ever what they do care about is the fact that most of us have very little respect for them. most of them could care less about the wake we put out until we are surfing/boarding 5 feet off the no wake buoys and cranking our tower speakers at AM with some f-bomb, slap that a**, bump crap. don't get me wrong I like my loud music to and most waterfront people don't mind but keep it decent. think about your children sitting on the beach. I have to agree it is disrespectful. In retrospect I should have just posted my Mantra. YOU ARE A PRODUCT OF YOUR OWN CHOICES!

jackrash- maybe you didn't understand what I was trying to get across. When I said man up America I guess I should have said man up and and have some respect. If we all took a minute and walked in someone Else's shoes for a moment I bet our actions would change. In no way am I saying that your not responsible for your wake but if you had any kind of respect for people you wouldn't have the issue to begin with. I work and play with a ton of water front owners on are local lakes and I always have this conversation with them and the amazing thing is that none of them care if we wake board or surf or what ever what they do care about is the fact that most of us have very little respect for them. most of them could care less about the wake we put out until we are surfing/boarding 5 feet off the no wake buoys and cranking our tower speakers at AM with some f-bomb, slap that a**, bump crap. don't get me wrong I like my loud music to and most waterfront people don't mind but keep it decent. think about your children sitting on the beach. I have to agree it is disrespectful. In retrospect I should have just posted my Mantra. YOU ARE A PRODUCT OF YOUR OWN CHOICES!

Have I seen that bumper sticker somewhere Whistling.gif

I voted "no" to both questions. In NH, safe distance is 150', which sometimes can be hard to judge. Notwithstanding is the common courtesy aspect already mentioned. We try to get out early before the water is trashed, and we don't have tower speakers. The wake we make with he VLX with stock ballast and the wedge is still less than the big Carvers, etc that cruise in at about 18kts. In our favorite cove skiers & footers always get priority over the boarders - unspoken for years. Everyone gets their pulls and then back to the top.

Chef-- I take it the railroad bridge to Wonder Bread is still the limiting factor? I also heard the new Rt 9 overpass made a mess of that area.

I never would have guessed that's what you're saying. How is it your "cry-baby" line isn't critical of the people attempting to hold the damage-causers (For lack of a better hyphenated word) responsible?

I've been involved in one of these cases where it went to trial in IL.

Bottom line was the operator of the vessel is responsible for any damaged caused by the wake the boat creates in any manner.

For those who talk about distances, what do you do if the river is only 150' wide and you have piers around?

In this case, there should be a No Wake zone in this tight area. If there isn't a no wake zone posted, then people traveling in this tight area should drop to no wake speed anyway.

Here in Cali, this would almost certainly be posted as No Wake.

In our favorite cove skiers & footers always get priority over the boarders - unspoken for years. Everyone gets their pulls and then back to the top.

Wow, what cove is this?! Clap.gif

I never would have guessed that's what you're saying. How is it your "cry-baby" line isn't critical of the people attempting to hold the damage-causers (For lack of a better hyphenated word) responsible?

my cry baby line is being critical of those people who are crying about crap. you live on a lake or are tied up on a lake and a roller comes in and causes your boat damage. would the same thing have happened if a storm came in and the wind brought the waves? all I'm getting at is America has learned to whine and cry. we should all go live in a third world country for a while just so that are eyes can be open to the fact that we have it made here in America. we take so much for granted and think we still deserve more. hence my statement man up America be responsible and respectful and never forget that if your not contributing to the world than your taking away from it.

I've been involved in one of these cases where it went to trial in IL.

Bottom line was the operator of the vessel is responsible for any damaged caused by the wake the boat creates in any manner.

For those who talk about distances, what do you do if the river is only 150' wide and you have piers around?

Welcome to river living...it kinda sucks, but boaters simply need to deal with it. I deal with this exact situation everyday that I'm on the river, so I just go boarding in a section where there are no docks (or at least with no boats tied to them). Fortunately for me, it's not very far up river (1/2 mile). Otherwise, it's pretty much "take you chances"...which, unfortunately, is becoming for frequent now considering the increasing numbers of boats on the water and waterfront properties. Dontknow.gif

jackrash- maybe you didn't understand what I was trying to get across. When I said man up America I guess I should have said man up and and have some respect. If we all took a minute and walked in someone Else's shoes for a moment I bet our actions would change. In no way am I saying that your not responsible for your wake but if you had any kind of respect for people you wouldn't have the issue to begin with. I work and play with a ton of water front owners on are local lakes and I always have this conversation with them and the amazing thing is that none of them care if we wake board or surf or what ever what they do care about is the fact that most of us have very little respect for them. most of them could care less about the wake we put out until we are surfing/boarding 5 feet off the no wake buoys and cranking our tower speakers at AM with some f-bomb, slap that a**, nigga bump crap. don't get me wrong I like my loud music to and most waterfront people don't mind but keep it decent. think about your children sitting on the beach. I have to agree it is disrespectful. In retrospect I should have just posted my Mantra. YOU ARE A PRODUCT OF YOUR OWN CHOICES!

my cry baby line is being critical of those people who are crying about crap. you live on a lake or are tied up on a lake and a roller comes in and causes your boat damage. would the same thing have happened if a storm came in and the wind brought the waves? all I'm getting at is America has learned to whine and cry. we should all go live in a third world country for a while just so that are eyes can be open to the fact that we have it made here in America. we take so much for granted and think we still deserve more. hence my statement man up America be responsible and respectful and never forget that if your not contributing to the world than your taking away from it.

Let me get this straight. You live on a lake/river/whatever, you have your boat tied to your dock, a roller damages your boat, the law is that people are responsible for the damage their wakes cause (presumably from what other posters have said), you're upset that your boat is damaged, and you would call that "crying about crap"? I'll put it another way, if you park your car parallel on a road, some guy mixing his latte is distracted and hits your car, is it not his fault becuase a storm could have blown up and a tree "could" have fallen on your car causing similar damage? The latte-mixing driver is as responsible as someone whose rollers cause damage, if that violates the law. The mere argument that the property owner does not have a valid gripe because a storm could have blown up and caused similar damage is simply invalid.

Edited by JohnDoe

jackrash- maybe you didn't understand what I was trying to get across. When I said man up America I guess I should have said man up and and have some respect. If we all took a minute and walked in someone Else's shoes for a moment I bet our actions would change. In no way am I saying that your not responsible for your wake but if you had any kind of respect for people you wouldn't have the issue to begin with. I work and play with a ton of water front owners on are local lakes and I always have this conversation with them and the amazing thing is that none of them care if we wake board or surf or what ever what they do care about is the fact that most of us have very little respect for them. most of them could care less about the wake we put out until we are surfing/boarding 5 feet off the no wake buoys and cranking our tower speakers at AM with some f-bomb, slap that a**, nigga bump crap. don't get me wrong I like my loud music to and most waterfront people don't mind but keep it decent. think about your children sitting on the beach. I have to agree it is disrespectful. In retrospect I should have just posted my Mantra. YOU ARE A PRODUCT OF YOUR OWN CHOICES!

Let me get this straight. You live on a lake/river/whatever, you have your boat tied to your dock, a roller damages your boat, the law is that people are responsible for the damage their wakes cause (presumably from what other posters have said), you're upset that your boat is damaged, and you would call that "crying about crap"? I'll put it another way, if you park your car parallel on a road, some guy mixing his latte is distracted and hits your car, is it not his fault becuase a storm could have blown up and a tree "could" have fallen on your car causing similar damage? The latte-mixing driver is as responsible as someone whose rollers cause damage, if that violates the law. The mere argument that the property owner does not have a valid gripe because a storm could have blown up and caused similar damage is simply invalid.

John your missing the point. If people had respect and took responsabilty for there actions this would`nt be an issue. The answer to your queshtion if I lived on a lake and my boat was damaged by a wave ya I wouldnt be happy about it but I wouldnt go crying about it either. I made a choice to live on the lake.I was aware that there are big waves that come in man made or not. If im not capable of securing my boat in a safe manner than I have whats coming to me!

Bill - If the words "activity of choice" were replaced with "barefooting", would your opinion be the same?

What you are saying is do I have a double standard. We all do. Most just won't admit it. The difference is that barefooters are not trying to make HUGE wakes by overloading their boats with ballast & people, and then PLOWING through the water. We are all responsible for the wakes our boats produce. Mine is smaller and less likely to cause damage.

I am editing my post to add that the boat in the slip and those tied together do as I said earlier have a resposibility to have taken reasonable precautions. If they have done so and your wake still causes damage then yes you, or I are at fault for the damage our wakes cause.

Edited by BillFooter

While this may be the law (we know that it is in many states), I think it would be interesting to see it tested further in court. (Not with me involved in it of course).

We have a lake in central Missouri where expecting someone to be responsible for their wake could (and in fact it has), cost people their very lives. Anyone that's been to this lake or a similar one knows that if you don't take steps to protect yourself and your property, you're in big trouble. Why does the water patrol make no attempts to control the Carvers, Bajas etc that make the lake far too dangerous for me to use my boat on? Why is it not discriminatory if they enforce it on me and not others?

How about barge traffic? martho mentions a case in Illinois where an operator was held responsible. Would this same operator be responsible had he or she been operating a tow on the Illinois or Mississippi rivers? The rivers have lot's of docks and lot's of barge traffic....are we going to shut down shipping so that someone's boat doesn't bump their dock? Please.

I get my pants bunched up just as fast as anybody when someone throws an excessive or inconsiderate wake, but if this is the law, and people are going to follow the law, it literally shuts down every boat in every place where it's possible for a wake to reach a dock or another boat. Isn't that pretty much everywhere? This is a powerful tool in the hands of those that would rather not share our lakes and rivers with water sports enthusiasts.

If someone wants to us this against you, your next post might be in "Boats and Accessories for Sale" forum.

What you are saying is do I have a double standard. We all do. Most just won't admit it. The difference is that barefooters are not trying to make HUGE wakes by overloading their boats with ballast & people, and then PLOWING through the water. We are all responsible for the wakes our boats produce. Mine is smaller and less likely to cause damage.

I am editing my post to add that the boat in the slip and those tied together do as I said earlier have a resposibility to have taken reasonable precautions. If they have done so and your wake still causes damage then yes you, or I are at fault for the damage our wakes cause.

I agree with you, but I think the general public doesn't differentiate the way you and I do. They see the Malibu coming and the blood starts boiling.

I probably should have sent you a pm rather that making that post....I don't want this discussion to go skiing vs. wakeboarding. All of us are capable of being considerate or inconsiderate no matter what our sport of choice is.

The difference on the Miss or other river that have barge traffic, is that the docks were usually built to take the larger waves. On the delta, which is a river, many docks are heavier built than say the docks of residents on a lake. They know the river is narrow and owners know that boats will be producing wakes so they are typically prepared. I have rocked my percentage of docks and boats with the 247. Yes.gif Heck, I even swamped one crew members boat by accident not knowing my wake would carry over the way it did Whistling.gif

The law doesn't say not to participate in wake producing activities, it just says to be aware that if you cause damage with your wake you could be liable. So be aware.

I'll throw this out there as well. When I was stationed at Block Island, RI the entrance to the Great Pond on that island was narrow and passed right by the USCG boats. There was a No Wake sign posted. And yet, many yachts went by producing a large wake. Believe me the docks and CG boats could take the wake. But what if a CG crewman was below decks working with mechanical equipment and was not aware a big wake was coming and than got caught off balance and got injured. If you produced the wake would you be responsible for his injury, or would you say that he should have been aware that there are waves and it was his fault for being there?

The answer is and was, YOU are responsible. We cited every boat that we saw rocking our boats for that very reason. It wasn't that the boats or docks couldn't take it, it was that a crewman below decks could get injured by someones negligence.....

I probably should have sent you a pm rather that making that post....I don't want this discussion to go skiing vs. wakeboarding. All of us are capable of being considerate or inconsiderate no matter what our sport of choice is.

While this is true, the wake enhancing devices have brought this issue to the forefront. I'm surprised people haven't started talking about shoreline damage/erosion which is a huge deal right now.

I think you would have to cause some MAJOR damage for an instance like the two above to result in litigation. Regardless, from a moral standpoint no I am not responsible. The person with the dock should have better prepared for the location of the dock and resulting waves as its not a no ski zone. Same applies to the two boats tied up. If they are concerned, go back into a no ski zone.

I agree with you, but I think the general public doesn't differentiate the way you and I do. They see the Malibu coming and the blood starts boiling.

PM not necessary. My intention is not to insult wakeboarders. But the reality is that over the last 5 years there are so many more wakeboard boats on the waterways that wake enhancement and the ramifications that result will become big issues in future years.

I think you would have to cause some MAJOR damage for an instance like the two above to result in litigation. Regardless, from a moral standpoint no I am not responsible. The person with the dock should have better prepared for the location of the dock and resulting waves as its not a no ski zone. Same applies to the two boats tied up. If they are concerned, go back into a no ski zone.

Many of the docks were built some years ago before wake enhancement began. How could they have planned for something that did not exist?